Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beta: Smart Tag (NFC) support

Hello!

I'm looking for folks interested in testing out a new feature in HSBuddy. This Beta version of the app allows you to program smart tags (NFC) and set a shortcut to happen when you tap the tag with your phone or tablet. Currently only available for Android but an iOS version coming up soon.

Some use cases for smart tags:
    • Tap against the bed side table to turn off all the lights
    • Tap against the coffee table to turn on the TV
    • Tap by the door frame to unlock the front door or open the garage.
    • And many others 😀
    There's many cheap opions for programmable tags. I've been using these without any issues: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GK6SPLS...ing=UTF8&psc=1

If you're already in the beta group for Android you will see the update show up in the next couple days. If you want to join the beta for either Android or iOS see this thread for instructions: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/us...r-beta-testers

Cheers!

I love this. Would the app have to be open and in focus, or could this work with the app open but the phone locked?

I could see using this for garage door open while in car (tap on dash)

Comment

Yea, I am planning to use it for the same. Regarding the behavior when the phone is locked, it depends on the type of phone.

In the case of Android, the app doesn't need to be open but the phone needs to be unlocked for it to read the tag. There is a workaround as described in this article, but the downside is that anyone can unlock your phone by tapping the tag.

In the case of iPhone, tapping on the tag with the phone locked will show a notification. If you tap on the notification you'll get asked to unlock the phone and the app will open. I have not tried this on iOS yet, but that's what I've read in the documentation so far.

Comment

Quick FYI - a new build is out for beta testers in Android and iOS. There is also a new version of the plugin with related functionality. The plugin update is only required to enable Smart Tags as server-side triggers.

The beta app version is 1.0.68, already available in Google Play and Testflight
        The new plugin version is 3.26.1114.49, should be available for download within a few days in HS plugin manager

If you try out the beta build please send feedback from the app if you see any unexpected issues.

New features:
        • Read, write and import NFC tags. You can give tags a friendly name. These options are available from Menu→Options→Smart Tags
        • Assign shortcuts to known NFC tags. These options are available from Menu→Options→Shortcuts
        • Export and import tags from your HS server. Useful to synchronize tag information across multiple devices.
        • Create events in HS that use Smart Tags as triggers. These events don't need the tag to be known to your phone. Useful to manage automation across many tags and devices.
        Known issues:
        • Importing tags from the server to a phone will override any Shortcuts assigned locally on that phone to the tag, if it already existed there. This issue has been fixed in version 1.0.69
        • Android specific:
          • Devices only do background scanning for tags when the screen is unlocked. This behavior cannot be changed.
        • iOS specific:
          • Devices only do background scanning for tags when the screen is on. This behavior cannot be changed.
          • iOS shows a notification pop-up when a tag is scanned, you need to tap on it to perform the shortcut. This will automatically launch HSBuddy if it wasn't running.

Comment

sign me up. I ordered some NFC tags specific to test this.

One at the garage and one at the front door tab to unlock/open

not to hard to ask right?

I believe our phones (android) needs to be unlocked to work? if we can somehow bypass this it would be even better. tags should be here in a couple days.

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post

I believe our phones (android) needs to be unlocked to work? if we can somehow bypass this it would be even better. tags should be here in a couple days.
            Not a good idea from safety/security POV, hence why both Android/iOS work the way they do. Do you really want possibility of anyone who has the possession of the phone to unlock your doors? Maybe you live alone and think it's no big deal? For those of us in a multi-person household it can be an issue.

Same thing when you use Google Pay on a phone, one has to unlock before the virtual credit payment will work.

Comment

For whatever reason I'm getting a "failed to export smart tag to server" I'm on my local network and HSBuddy is accessible.

Comment

For whatever reason I'm getting a "failed to export smart tag to server" I'm on my local network and HSBuddy is accessible.
                Have you installed the latest version of the plug in in the server?

Comment

BTW this feature is available now in the latest release of the app. You no longer need to be in the beta to get access. Thank you to those who tried it early and gave feedback!

Comment

strange I didn't get notified that it needed an update I was on 3.18.721.0. I had to go to add then do a reinstall when I noticed the version difference. it did save now. time to go play

Comment

took a second to work but it worked perfectly! I can unlock my door. BTW can both mywife and I use the same smart tag for the same trigger?

Comment

took a second to work but it worked perfectly! I can unlock my door. BTW can both mywife and I use the same smart tag for the same trigger?
                        Thank you for the update!

Yes, the same tag can be used by multiple phones. If you setup the automation in the server (using the HSBuddy Smart Tag event trigger) you don't need to import the tag in additional phones. If you want to setup the automation as a shortcut in the app, you will need to import the tag and create the shortcut in each phone. I prefer setting the automation in the server. To import a tag on additional phones use the Read Tag option first and after scanning the tag tap on the Import Tag option.

Comment

Didn't know about the ability to set it up on the server. I remove the shortcuts on the phone set up an event as shown but nothing happens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-31.png
Views:	348
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	1511703

Comment

So actually, something did happen when using events but it took from the time before I first posted the previous respond to about a minute ago before HS triggered. That's about 10 m minutes. Using the phone shortcut it took maybe 5 seconds but it had to launch the app

Comment

I am interested as well

Comment

Working...
                              X