Auto sync dashboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto sync dashboards

I'll be honest I overlooked this feature when I tested the beta as I only installed the beta on a single device.

Now that it has been added to the general release I went to go enable it and saw that the sync direction is from device to server.

I'm wanting the sync to go the other direction. When I send new dashboards to the server from my phone, I want all other devices to automatically pull the new dashboard from the server.

Is this doable?

It is doable. To be honest I don't remember why I didn't enable bi-directional sync to begin with. I think there were some edge-cases I didn't have a chance to think through, like what would happen if the dashboard is deleted locally and then changed in the server - whether it should be downloaded again silently, or not. I've put this task in the list for the next release, thanks for bringing it up.

Comment

Originally posted by avargaskun View Post
      It is doable. To be honest I don't remember why I didn't enable bi-directional sync to begin with. I think there were some edge-cases I didn't have a chance to think through, like what would happen if the dashboard is deleted locally and then changed in the server - whether it should be downloaded again silently, or not. I've put this task in the list for the next release, thanks for bringing it up.
      Thanks!

I don't think it should be a single toggle that enables both though. As I don't want say my Wife to accidentally change a dashboard that ripples through every other device. If it could have two toggles, one to auto sync to server, and one to auto sync from server.

OR

A button in the plugin config for HSBuddy in Homeseer that Pushes Dashboard updates out to everyone. That may almost be my preference.

Then I can still backup/save/test out Dashboards on the server, and once I'm happy with it, just click the button in the Plugin Config page in Homeseer to push out to any remaining devices.

I would prefer if as much control of the HSBuddy app happened within the Plugin Config page as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by cd36 View Post

Thanks!

I don't think it should be a single toggle that enables both though. As I don't want say my Wife to accidentally change a dashboard that ripples through every other device. If it could have two toggles, one to auto sync to server, and one to auto sync from server.

OR

A button in the plugin config for HSBuddy in Homeseer that Pushes Dashboard updates out to everyone. That may almost be my preference.

Then I can still backup/save/test out Dashboards on the server, and once I'm happy with it, just click the button in the Plugin Config page in Homeseer to push out to any remaining devices.

I would prefer if as much control of the HSBuddy app happened within the Plugin Config page as possible.
        +1 for this functionality. I agree with cd36 here, auto-syncing can get you into trouble very easily. Maybe in the PI config page or clients page you could designate clients that would be allowed to sync out to all the other clients, if the user wanted this automated. If no clients were selected for this automation, then the manual method is available to push out to all clients as described.

Comment

I'm a total newbee when it comes to HSBuddy so bear with me please. I've created three dashboards (still working on sections within dashboards) and the dashboards are syncing to my HS Server.

Is there a place to see and/or edit these on the HS4 machine?

Comment

No, you must do all editing on your mobile device.

Any word on auto sync dashboards in the download direction? Or even being able to push dashboards out to devices from. HS4?

Comment

I edited on my iPhone, no problem. I have HSBuddy indicating it is syncing with the server. Then I opened HSBuddy on an old Android tablet and was able to sync two of the three dashboards I created on the iPhone. So it kind of works. Will keep drilling.

Comment

Working...
              X