Device State Change Reflected in HSBuddy But Not Device Time Last Modified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device State Change Reflected in HSBuddy But Not Device Time Last Modified

I've got a device on a Dashboard that shows state and time of last update and has history displayed on 1-Tap. Corresponding device on HS4 is set to update date and time when written to even if the device state does not actually change. This shows up properly in HS4 (date and time of last update shows even when device state does not change) but no update shows in HSBuddy (last update date and time shows as when the state changed, not when the device was updated in HS4). This is not a transient state difference in that full close of the app and restart does not resolve. Only resolution is when the state itself is changed in HS4. This means that the date and time of last change does not get updated in HSBuddy and therefore the devices record in HSBuddy shows correct state of Device in HS4 but the date and time of last change shown in HSBuddy is not correct. I'm using latest version of both plug in (3.28.1222.5) and Android App (1.0.77). Is this a known defect or do you need more info to fully describe?

Thanks for the fantastic interface.

sdmccambridge This sounds like a known issue. The HSBuddy plugin has an in-memory cache of device information that is kept up to date by events that HS fires when devices are updated or their configuration changes. I suspect in this case, a change in last-update date without a value change is not firing the respective event from HS to the plug-in. When the app polls the plug-in for device updates it's likely not seeing the change in last-update date.

For historical context, originally (more than 5y ago) I added this functionality to the plugin because the HS built-in JSON API didn't offer a way to fetch only devices that had changed recently (this has been added since). Also, for servers with lots (1000+) devices, the JSON API didn't offer a way to paginate the results which causes sporadic errors due to the large response size (this is still the case). It may be time to phase-out the plug-in APIs for device state management and use the built-in JSON API from the app by default. The app already falls back to the built-in JSON API if the plug-in isn't installed or running.

As an experiment: can you turn-off the HSBuddy plug-in in the server and see if the last-update info updates in the device widget as expected? You'll need to have the automatic refresh operation enabled (Options > Data Sync > Server Refresh) as I suspect last-update changes also do not flow through the ASCII channel.

Comment

I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here. I have the same issue described above. The issue is with a Yale lock battery level. First issue is that HS4 doesn’t seem to poll the device to get battery state. To fix, I added an event to poll the device twice a day and that is working. However HSBuddy doesn’t reflect the new time stamp for the update. Restarting the plug-in does update the time stamp in HSBuddy. I assume when the battery percentage changes, HSBuddy will catch the change.

Comment

Working...
      X