HSMetro Installation notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSMetro Installation notes

First off, thanks wposner for this incredible ui... I've been watching it for awhile but haven't installed it myself until today. It took about 10-15 minutes just to get the components installed and setup and the default template up. Ive not done any customizations yet, but I'd like to share a few notes about installation where I got a bit confused... maybe other noobs like me would benefit from it.

Here is the install instructions.txt that comes with 2.8.3-7:

1. Create a folder called HSMetro under HomeSeer/html
    2. Extract contents of zip file to this folder
    3. Install Node.js from http://nodejs.org
    4. Download NSSM from https://nssm.cc/download
    5. Extract NSSM to your HSMetro folder
    6. Open a command prompt and navigate to your HSMetro folder
    7. Run "npm install"
    8. You should see a new directory created called node_modules
    9. Run "nssm install HSProxyService". When the UI launches enter the following values:
    For Path: C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe or C:\Program Files x86\nodejs\node.exe
    For Startup Directory: <HomeSeer Install Folder>\html\HSMetro
    For Arguments: proxy.js <your homeseer IP address> <Proxy Port the HTML will subscribe to--Default is 6512>
    10. Add node.exe to your firewall and enable HTTP/TCP traffic
    11. To log your errors, select the I/O tab and enter a path/filename for your error log
    12. Click the "Install Service" button. Verify your service exists by going to the computer management console->servies
    and look for HSProxyService in the list.
    13. Start the service. If everything is configured correctly, your service will connect to the ASCII interface on port 11000
    and start broadcasting messages to the HSMetro UI.
    Here are my notes:

5. Extract the correct nssm.exe (whether 64 or 32bit) to your HSMetro folder.

9. This proxy port will not be used by the end user (in case you're worried about memorizing the port or some firewall restrictions). It just has to be the same port as configured in require.config.js.

12a. Before starting the service (#13): make sure you've edited the file require.config.js in html/app. The proxy port has to be the same as in step #9

12b. Make sure 'Enable Control using ASCII Commands' is checked in HS3's network settings.

14. Access the HSMetro interface at
    Code:
    http://your_hs3_server_ip:port/HSMetro/index.html
    Last edited by LeoS; September 30, 2015, 11:14 AM.
    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Now trying to configure and customize the pages... looking at the first post of the big thread, I'm getting more questions:

1. Q: Where is components/home-page that's referred to in that post?
    A: Ok, I think I've found it in HSMetro/pages/home-page

2. Q: If I edit or add a new device by copy-pasting one of the hsdevices, do I also need to edit the 'id' parameter? or just the 'ref'
    A: So far adding arbitrary 'id' name seems to work... not sure what it matters, or if they just need to be unique...

3. Q: What do I put in the 'zipcode' field, if I don't live in the US?
    Originally posted by wposner View Post
    To get the weather for a non-us city, just use "location" in place of "zipcode" and type in the city. The weather widget is based on the simpleweather jquery library, so you can google simpleweather for specific examples on what to use for the "location" parameter.
    Last edited by LeoS; September 30, 2015, 11:13 AM.
    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Comment

Thanks for doing this! Hopefully this hopes to clarify things for others who are just starting to take a look at this UI. I tried to keep it pretty simple and it has definitely evolved from ver 1 to ver 2. I still would love to work with someone on a plugin that allows you to add your devices to the UI directly within HS3. But for now, doing some basic editing is all it takes to get this UI up and running.

Comment

Hey man, thanks and great job w/ the plugin! I've edited my Home page and my master bedroom's page and things are progressing well i've tried to go through TheBigThread(tm) to gain more knowledge about this ui, but at 44 pages long (and counting!) it'll take me awhile...

Oh, i have some questions... Before i forget:
        - Is there a list of the commands and parameters that the ui understands?
        - I know how to change the background, to make tiles without title (invisible title) and to group them in columns of twos and threes.... I wonder about making tiles of different sizes, if thats possible?
        - And what about grouping the tiles in single columns?
        - How to deal with dimmers that need 100 taps to go through the different intensity levels?
        - is it possible to host multiple-version of the page? (Ie: index1.html, index2.html, so on). I would like to make a 'master' one for myself and simpler ones for other users/guests in my system.

As for configuring the plugin, how do you propose it would work if the setup is on HS3 side? How do you choose which devices to include in the ui?

I was thinking a simple interface like HS3's device status page would be a big step already! Click on a (password protected) 'configure' tab, then the rest of the page turns to an 'edit' version with 'ref id' fields, checkboxes of the parameters (invisible title, etc), and maybe position/order/coordinate index of the tile, so you can manually switch its places by changing the numbers there (like HS3 status graphic page).

Other than that, how about just dumping all (non hidden) devices from HS3 and editing them from your ui? Ideally it'll take the room names and group the devices accordingly too... Then we just hide/delege the ones we don't need.

Just some ideas.. Maybe they've been shot down in TheBigThread(tm) already, but i havent gone throught it all yet.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
          - is it possible to host multiple-version of the page? (Ie: index1.html, index2.html, so on). I would like to make a 'master' one for myself and simpler ones for other users/guests in my system.

As for configuring the plugin, how do you propose it would work if the setup is on HS3 side? How do you choose which devices to include in the ui?
          For this piece, perhaps there's a way to integrate the new user/device permissioning that was added a few weeks ago to the core HS.
          cheeryfool

Comment

You can definitely create multiple instances of HSMetro and just point your browser to whichever instance you want. Some users were doing this before I added the tab functionality.

Dimmers have a 10 step increment, so you never have to worry about clicking 100 times.

For parameters, I've tried to list all the valid parameters in the top post of the main thread. Are there specific widgets that you're curious about?

I've been vague on tile sizes because most of my widgets are set to a predefined size and everything within the widget is explicitly placed based on the available pixels of the tile. But if you want to play around you can go here: http://metroui.org.ua and dig in to all the CSS classes that are available to be declared in the HTML. But any changes you make can (and most likely will be) overwritten whenever a new build is published.

As for the plugin, I envision something that either adds a checkbox next to each device in HS3 and then a separate page that brings in all the checked devices so that you can add to different tabs and arrange the tile order within tabs. Or if adding a checkbox on the main device management page isn't possible then a whole new page in HS3 that allows you to select devices and then do the grouping/ordering.

Comment

@cheeryfool: That's a great idea. I wonder if HSMetro would display a blank tile if it doesn't have permission to view the device?

@wposner: Thanks! I'll check those resources out.

Btw, re: dimmers... does the 10-step work with all dimmers? (X10, plcbus, zwave, etc?). I have zwave dimmer with 256 steps (fibaro rgbw) and plcbus dimmers with 100 steps.

Comment

, re: dimmers... does the 10-step work with all dimmers? (X10, plcbus, zwave, etc?). I have zwave dimmer with 256 steps (fibaro rgbw) and plcbus dimmers with 100 steps.
                Yes. A button press on a dimmer widget always increments by 10. It looks at the max value reported by HS3 and keeps incrementing by 10 until that value is reached.

Comment

I seem to be having problems getting this talking... I'm running HSPro on Windows 10, with Homeseer's native interface on port 80, and I'm trying to bring up HSMetro on port 8000.

In require.config.js I have --

url:'http://192.168.0.36', //The URL to your HomeSeer server
                  proxyIP: '192.168.0.36', //The IP address of the server running the proxy
                  proxyPort: '8000', //The PORT the UI will connect to. Default is 6512

and when I start
                  node proxy.js 192.168.0.36 8000 from the command line, I see a lot of traffic like this...

>> From proxy to client DC,739,128,117
                  << From remote to proxy DC,711,129,128

...so I think proxy.js is talking to Homeseer properly, but I can't get anything on 192.168.0.36:8000, on either a remote machine or on the local server. I've tried turning Windows Firewall off, so I don't think that's it, but I'm apparently missing a step here somewhere...

Comment

Yes. A button press on a dimmer widget always increments by 10. It looks at the max value reported by HS3 and keeps incrementing by 10 until that value is reached.
                    That is great. Any chance of getting up/down arrows for dimmable devices?
                    I'd like that too for aircons (UltraGCIR) to step through the temperatures.

Btw, how can I set weather city outside of US? (non-us zipcode/city format)

Originally posted by Chuck Lawson View Post
                    I seem to be having problems getting this talking... I'm running HSPro on Windows 10, with Homeseer's native interface on port 80, and I'm trying to bring up HSMetro on port 8000.
                    HSMetro should be accessible at http://your_homeseer_ip:80/HSMetro/index.html

Comment

That is great. Any chance of getting up/down arrows for dimmable devices?
                      I'd like that too for aircons (UltraGCIR) to step through the temperatures.

Btw, how can I set weather city outside of US? (non-us zipcode/city format)

The up/down arrows automatically appear for dimmable devices. To get the weather for a non-us city, just use "location" in place of "zipcode" and type in the city. The weather widget is based on the simpleweather jquery library, so you can google simpleweather for specific examples on what to use for the "location" parameter.

Comment

That appears to be working -- thanks! But I'm confused -- do I not need to have proxy.js involved if I'm working off the HS3 server itself?

Comment

The up/down arrows automatically appear for dimmable devices. To get the weather for a non-us city, just use "location" in place of "zipcode" and type in the city. The weather widget is based on the simpleweather jquery library, so you can google simpleweather for specific examples on what to use for the "location" parameter.
                          Thanks! I'll add that to my second post above, which is a compilation of FAQs...

That appears to be working -- thanks! But I'm confused -- do I not need to have proxy.js involved if I'm working off the HS3 server itself?
                          This was mentioned in my comment above (#9). It's needed to communicate with HS3's control port or some such, not accessed by the user.

Comment

The up/down arrows automatically appear for dimmable devices.
                            It doesn't show up on my PLCBUS dimmers and UltraGCIR-controlled aircons... is there anyway to force it?

To get the weather for a non-us city, just use "location" in place of "zipcode" and type in the city. The weather widget is based on the simpleweather jquery library, so you can google simpleweather for specific examples on what to use for the "location" parameter.
                            Thanks! I'll add that to my second post above, which is a compilation of FAQs...

This was mentioned in my comment above (#9). It's needed to communicate with HS3's control port or some such, not accessed by the user.

Comment

Working...
                            X