Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ambient weather station plug-in beta available.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambient weather station plug-in beta available.

A plug-in for the Ambient weather stations is now available in the beta section of the updater.

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
    I have asked a few times if anyone was interested in doing a plugin for the Ambient Weather stations but got no takers. Wasn't sure why so maybe you would be interested or at least be willing to check into it? thanks
    So I did check it out and it looked like it would be pretty simple to adapt the work from the WeatherFlow plug-in. However it turned out to be more complicated than anticipated.

To use the Ambient Weather plug-in, you need to have an account on ambientweather.net and an Ambient weather station capable of sending it's data to the Ambient servers. You configure the plug-in with the MAC address of your station and your API key.

The plug-in will connect to the Ambient Weather servers and uses the real-time API. The station's data should get sent to the plug-in in real-time and the plug-in will update HomeSeer device records with the data.

The units used by each device record is configurable using a custom device configuration tab. For most devices, you can configure them to use either SI or US units.

I've found that the connection to the Ambient servers seems a bit flaky and it seems to stop sending data at random times. The plug-in tries to handle this and automatically reconnect. The main purpose of the beta release is to verify that the real-time API works well enough to be useful. There is also a non-real-time API to pull data from the servers, but the update resolution is between 5 and 30 minutes (that's what the documentation specifies without any details).
    --
    Bob Paauwe
    ISYInsteon Plug-in
    http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Just registered my Ambient account - associated my PWS with it and can see data now within my the account. Will see where this goes.

Comment

I installed the plugin, filled in the key and I can see it is getting data - from having turned on the debugging.
      Jul-31 3:29:58 PM AmbientWeather GOT 42["data",{"dateutc":1533068940000,"tempinf":72,"t018-07-31T20:29:00.000Z","macAddress":"C0:21....}]
      Don't see any of the devices updating...

So then I restarted - I see the devices have an updated time - the time I restarted the plug-in.
      But they are not populating any of my data.

I'll keep messing with it.

Edit - I've restarted the HS server and the devices are not populating.
      The last updated time is the only change. I went through their online setup pretty quick - stopped when I saw it was getting data from my station. Possibly I'm missing something I needed to tic. Will work with this more tomorrow.

Last edited by Monk; July 31st, 2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	27.5 KB ID:	1237545
        Here is what my devices look like.

Comment

This is an additional Ambient Weather plugin, separate to the one currently being Beta'd by Jeubanks?

Comment

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post
            This is an additional Ambient Weather plugin, separate to the one currently being Beta'd by Jeubanks?
            Yes this is a different plugin.

It seems we have two with the same name. I'm waiting for a response from the author to work out who changes their name.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
              I installed the plugin, filled in the key and I can see it is getting data - from having turned on the debugging.
              Jul-31 3:29:58 PM AmbientWeather GOT 42["data",{"dateutc":1533068940000,"tempinf":72,"t018-07-31T20:29:00.000Z","macAddress":"C0:21....}]

So then I restarted - I see the devices have an updated time - the time I restarted the plug-in.
              But they are not populating any of my data.

I'll keep messing with it.

Edit - I've restarted the HS server and the devices are not populating.
              The last updated time is the only change. I went through their online setup pretty quick - stopped when I saw it was getting data from my station. Possibly I'm missing something I needed to tic. Will work with this more tomorrow.
              I've disabled the plug-in for now - it appears to be communicating once per minute, but I can see no result.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                Is there any more information in the log when debug is checked? The only reason it wouldn't update is if it doesn't like something in the data it's receiving. Can you send me a sample of the actual data and not just the truncated version posted?
                --
                Bob Paauwe
                ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Just sent it.
                  I can now see by having left debug run for a while, that this occurs
                  Aug-01 6:38:13 AM AmbientWeather Subscrition suscessful.
                  but then it complains no data for three minutes and does the whole thing again with "subscription" / subscribing.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post

Yes this is a different plugin.

It seems we have two with the same name. I'm waiting for a response from the author to work out who changes their name.
                    I changed the name to better reflect that this plug-in uses the Real-Time API and resolve the name conflict with jebanks' plug-in. They should happily co-exist now. This does however, effect anyone that installed my plug-in from the HS Updater. You basically need to uninstall the original version and Install the new version from the Updater. You'll also have to manually delete the devices created by the original and re-configure after installing the latest.

The new name is AmbientRTWS and the latest version as of this post is 3.0.0.1
                    --
                    Bob Paauwe
                    ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Version 3.0.0.3 of AmbientRTWS released to the beta updater feed.

- Removed the station ID entry from the configuration screen. Entering your API key is enough information for the plug-in to function. It will query the Ambient Weather server for additional station information.

- Added ability to select with weather values are mapped to HS devices. Under the main station device custom configuration, there's a list of weather values with check boxes. Values that are checked with have HS devices created, values unchecked with have the HS devices removed.

This plug-in makes use of the Ambient Weather's Real-Time API. The Real-Time API is based on the websocket network protocol. The Real-Time API differs from the REST based API in that Ambient Weather controls the flow of data from their servers to the clients (plug-ins). With the REST based API's the clients control how often they request data from the servers. The Real-Time API allows Ambient Weather to better control their server resources.
                      --
                      Bob Paauwe
                      ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Will there be any updates on this plugin? I have tested it a little but now my trial is ended and is there a way to extend it? I had a problem with the plugin needing a restart to continue fetching data, is that something that could be fixed perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by geirnost View Post
                          Will there be any updates on this plugin? I have tested it a little but now my trial is ended and is there a way to extend it? I
                          I don't have any specific plans for additional features, but are there specific features that you would like to see in the plug-in? With the other Ambient plug-in from Simplex Technology already available, the interest in this version seemed pretty low so I've been focused on other projects.

HomeSeer controls the licensing and the trial period behavior, that part is not something I can control. However, I did release another beta with the licensing disabled so no license required and no trial period limitation. I believe you will have to remove the plug-in and re-install it to get HomeSeer to recognize that it no longer requires a license.

had a problem with the plugin needing a restart to continue fetching data, is that something that could be fixed perhaps?
                          I had a lot of problems with the Ambient Weather servers maintaining a connection. The websocket protocol was designed for real-time data web applications. Once a client connects, it is supposed to be notified by the server if the connection is going to be closed for some reason. Ambient seems to randomly drop the connection without sending those notifications. I've tried to make the plug-in detect that and attempt to re-connect, but, apparently not well enough.

Do you have any logs captured for the time period when it stops getting data.

And just FYI, with the websocket protocol, the server is responsible for sending data as it is available and the client (the plug-in) simply listens and captures what is sent. This is different from most REST based API's where the client is responsible for querying the server to request data. The main advantage for the data provider is that they have better control over the server resources and don't have to worry about a rogue client making too many queries in a short period of time and blocking out other clients.
                          --
                          Bob Paauwe
                          ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Working...
                          X