Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

noob question about weather stations VS simple subscription to a weather info service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob question about weather stations VS simple subscription to a weather info service

Hi,

I would like to know, what are the advantages of having a weather station at home , vs having a subscription to a meteo service via rss or other methods. ( ex: environment canada plugin)?

I know it will poll( or get) the data faster, and the sensors will catch their values from outside your house...so it is geologically more accurate.

What i would like to know in reality is: is anyone using both methods? And why? Anyone just using one of the two methods, and why?
    Some examples are welcome .

Thanks,
    Matt

I use both methods. I use local data for temperature, luminance and rainfall. Temperature primarily to detect freezing temperatures, luminance for motion controlled lighting and low light “scenes” and rainfall for irrigation.

I use the services mostly for forecasts.

My wife is a weather geek, so she loves the weather station for wind, humidity, pressure trends, rain and temperature.
    Randy Prade
    Aurora, CO
    Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Rprade; Which home system do you have?

Comment

Ambient WS-1001-WiFi station and an ObserverIP. The WS-1002-WiFi is the new version. It has been in use since 2015 and working reliably. The WS-1001 will upload to WU and Ambient as is, but adding the ObserverIP allows me to scrub some of the data locally and avoid making the round trip to Ambient. The readings seem to be very accurate, nearly mirrioring the AFB a mile or so away. The ObserverIP also provides support for up to 8 additional remote temperature/humidity sensors that can be placed throughout the house.
        Randy Prade
        Aurora, CO
        Prades.net

Comment

I have been using weather underground and the HS3 plugin for it for a few years now. There is a station that is close (school only like 3 blocks away) so I felt like the get good data close to home, but I just bought a Ambient station (https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1500.html) which is like 100.00 shipped and I did it mostly for reliability (school station would go down for a few day at a time some times and for faster updates. Weather Underground plugin only allows so many calls and no faster then 5min updates. I wanted something more live now I can do as fast as 16sec but due to some issues 30sec to 1min is more likely what it should be set too.

I also still use WU plugin for forecasts like today's high and low. I'm currently exploring options to maybe cut that out if possible but keep that data.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            Ambient WS-1001-WiFi station and an ObserverIP. The WS-1002-WiFi is the new version. It has been in use since 2015 and working reliably. The WS-1001 will upload to WU and Ambient as is, but adding the ObserverIP allows me to scrub some of the data locally and avoid making the round trip to Ambient. The readings seem to be very accurate, nearly mirrioring the AFB a mile or so away. The ObserverIP also provides support for up to 8 additional remote temperature/humidity sensors that can be placed throughout the house.
            Interesting, still trying to grok the ObserverIP, sounds like both the ObserverIP and the base station can see the signal (presuming since they are wireless and probably just broadcast you can have multiple receivers). What I curious about is if you have a plugin for the ObserverIP (if so, mind mentioning which one you are using) or if just some custom code and then relying on the Ambient plugin to feed HS. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bsobel View Post

Interesting, still trying to grok the ObserverIP, sounds like both the ObserverIP and the base station can see the signal (presuming since they are wireless and probably just broadcast you can have multiple receivers). What I curious about is if you have a plugin for the ObserverIP (if so, mind mentioning which one you are using) or if just some custom code and then relying on the Ambient plugin to feed HS. Thanks!
              The AmbientWeather plugin has support for the ObserverIP module and any of the PWS's that send data to AmbientWeather.Net

Comment

Thanks for all the replies ! It responded to my questions. Feel free to continue the thread

Comment

Originally posted by bsobel View Post

I use Simplex Technology's plug-in. It pulls the local data off of the ObserverIP and pulls the additional temperature/humidity sensors off of ambientweather.net. The plug-in reads the live data webpage in the Observer. There are others who are using Jon00's Data Scraper script to pull the local data off of the Observer, but that doesn't get the additional sensors which are only available on ambientweather.net.

Yes, each sensor is a radio transmitter which can be picked up by the base station as well as one (or more) ObserverIPs.
                  Randy Prade
                  Aurora, CO
                  Prades.net

Comment

Working...
                  X