Davis VP2 in Omaha, NE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis VP2 in Omaha, NE

Here's my Davis VP2 with 24hr FARS located in the backyard. Not many siting options considering the urban location, HOA rules and most importantly the WAF

Here are my websites. I'm using weeWX 3.8.2 with reports uploaded to WU and PWS every 5 min. The personal website uses a weather34 template that updates every 30 seconds.

https://weather.sathy.us
    https://www.wunderground.com/weather...ha/KNEOMAHA440
    https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KNEOMAHA440.html

weeWX has an extension called "crt" that outputs a Cumulus realtime.txt file which the Jon00 Cumulus script uses to update HS3 every minute. Here's the resulting device list:

Looks great and Jon00’s integration provides a real good platform for weather reporting in HS3.

Are you using the data to trigger any events?

Comment

Thanks. No events yet....but planning on it.

Comment

Looks Great!

Comment

Where did you purchase your Davis from?

Comment

I purchased it at Scientific Sales.

Comment

Looks great taylormia!!!

Initially mounted the Davis on the roof of a two store home. It was too difficult to service there. Then tried it on a 6 X 6 post attached to the deck at about 9 feet off of ground level. Here my irrigation system would affect the rain tipping bucket. Finally used a J-Tube mounting bracket under the eave of the second story roof. (still an issue).

Relating to the subdivision HOA they had implemented 20 year rules about not having any outside antennas which was basically a buy off from the old cable companies monopolies. That said the FCC over ruled this rule many years ago and mostly related to the installation of digital satellite dishes. The HOA dues though only paid for the inter house common property maintainance (landscaping stuff) in a 100 home subdivision.

That and I joined the HOA board and changed the by-laws and convenants to reflect the new FCC laws.
              Last edited by Pete; October 5th, 2018, 11:50 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Thanks Pete. Nice job changing the HOA rules to reflect reality. For me though...my primary concern was the WAF. Anything on the roof or an extra tall mast for the anemometer was a no-go....so we compromised ...if the wife is happy...my life is happy.

Comment

Very true!!!

Davis has been around a long time and their products are good.

- Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

Comment

I was previously going to comment on the orientation but I saw the discussion and reason on the other forum.

I also have the VP2 Pro with 24hrs FARS and I have WL IP, Meteobridge and Weather Display (WD). WD is used in conjunction with Jon00’s plugin to integrate with HS3.

I was going to do the same as Pete, but logic play its part along with age and wisdom, so it is mounted tripod on top of my workshop in the back yard. I only recently did annual maintenance and even this was a little difficult.

I very recently added a Leaf/Wetness sensors monitoring a number of veggies garden and this will be used to trigger notifications if the ground temp get to high/dry over the coming summer. We can have extreme temp during during summer with temps occasionally in the 40c/100f and the highest reading 48.8c/119.8f.

I currently do have an issue where the console is reporting the “Low Battery on the Leaf/Wetness” but the Solar, Super Cap, and battery are all within the correct range, it isn’t dropping packets and there looking to be a false negative. Davis fixed this issues for ISS reporting but this may still be persistent for the L/W. So, I will need to work with Davis support to establish the root cause.

Comment

Originally posted by taylormia View Post
                      I purchased it at Scientific Sales.
                      Thanks, due to this thread I finally pulled the trigger. Purchased same model from Scientific Sales as well

Comment

Helped a Homeseer user near LAS do his Davis combo weather station. Initially he mounted it on the top of his back yard shed using a tripod then moved it to his back porch roof mostly due to ease of access.

Interesting box in that it was an 8 drive NAS, mini ITX board running Ubuntu Linux, Homeseer 3, WeeWx (Davis-Meteo Stick), media server, camera server and one Windows 7 VB going. It has been a couple of years now and running fine.

Here was a bit lucky in that I had access to a second Davis nearby such that I would switch to it when doing maintainance on mine. The second Davis was mounted on a 6 X 6 wood post in the middle of a little prarie near the house within a direct line of sight from the second story of the home. Found it via the Davis Console and a visual one day.

We had hawks visiting here in the midwest ....always eating rabbits mostly...and one day a hawk ate my wind cups....never seen that before....this was with the Davis mounted high on the roof.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by brientim View Post
                          I currently do have an issue where the console is reporting the “Low Battery on the Leaf/Wetness” but the Solar, Super Cap, and battery are all within the correct range, it isn’t dropping packets and there looking to be a false negative.
                          Problem identified: operator error. As the initial test I ran out all the wiring, hooked all sensors, leaf wetness, 3 soil wetness and 3 soil temp sensors and all worked very well.

However, in my haste of setting it up in it final location, I had placed the battery in back to front. We are mid Spring here and good weather, so the super capacitor was doing all the work and making it all the way through the night before being recharged.

Worse thing is, I pulled the battery to ckeck voltage and did not pick that up. Oh well, all good now.

Comment

Davis makes great stuff

Devoir

Comment

That's what I've found in my research and the reason I bought a VP2. Also, weeWX is a great open source software - very stable, low resource requirements and easy to setup (if you know the basics of Linux).

Comment

Working...
                              X