New to PWS 1st station choice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to PWS 1st station choice ?

I've been all over the net for the last few weeks trying to figure out my first foray into the world of PWS. I've narrowed my choices down to either an Ambient WS-2000 or a WeatherFlow system.

Users of both seem to love them. Early problems to seem to be ironed out. Plugins exist for both. I cannot find head to head, good, bad, ugly info.

What do you think?

HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
    Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
    Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

I don't know anything about the Ambient system but I chose Weatherflow because it includes lightning detection, does not rely on Internet connectivity, and works well with Homeseer.

Comment

Originally posted by drparker151 View Post
      I've been all over the net for the last few weeks trying to figure out my first foray into the world of PWS. I've narrowed my choices down to either an Ambient WS-2000 or a WeatherFlow system.

Users of both seem to love them. Early problems to seem to be ironed out. Plugins exist for both. I cannot find head to head, good, bad, ugly info.

What do you think?

I like my Weatherflow, too. This is my first PWS, so I have no comparison. The only negatives are some false positives for 1) rain, which can happen with strong wind causing vibration to mounting; and 2) lightning, the cause of which I am uncertain.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Analysis paralysis here

Trying find the best balance between performance and low maintenance. This old man wants to limit his trips onto the roof.
        HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
        Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML

Comment

You need to figure out what attributes of a PWS are important to you and then learn about how each compares for those attributes. Asking an open ended question like that is like asking which car is better a chevy or a ford. It's hard to get an unbiased opinion.

I currently have a WeatherFlow and an Acurite 5-n-1 system. I believe the Acurite and the Ambient systems are pretty similar hardware wise, but Ambient provides better access to the data collected. I chose WeatherFlow because it provides non-internet based direct access to the data collected by the system and WeatherFlow is very friendly to third party developers. Those two attributes are very important to me.

The main downside to the WeatherFlow systems is that they are new and use non-traditional technology for some of the sensing. As such, they are experiencing a lot of issues related to that. However, they are also providing fast and amazing customer support and have inspired a lot of confidence that the issues will be resolved.
          --
          Bob Paauwe
          ISYInsteon Plug-in
          http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for your thoughts. Part of the problem with not having had PWS before or used any of the data services is knowing what is important. But to your point, here a few of my thoughts with the research I've done so far.

I like the concepts behind WeatherFlow's wind and rain sensors. Better low wind detection and not having to constantly clean a bucket. The lightning sensor is a plus as well. Are these just marketing bullets or do they translate to real life?

I like with Ambient that I can add other temp and humidity sensors to get reading from the patio screen room. I think you're limited to one Air with weatherFlow.

Ambient's api allows access to data from other user's sensors. I cannot tell if that is the case with Weatherflow. What I really don't know is that of any value? Then with the new Weather Underground API can you access nearby station data filling this possible requirement with any PWS that reports to WU?

You can get local data with Ambient but requires adding a $40 module and the plugin for HS3 will data scrapping off of it. Without the module, the plugin uses an API to pull data from their cloud.

Comment

Working...
            X