Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    Yes it has been answered. Use mcsSprinklers plugin and devices are created in HS. Use standalone mcsSprinklers then mcsXap HS plugin will create the HS devices.

Leave a comment:

• taylormia
    replied
    Thanks Michael. If the HS3 weather data devices are created by the mcsSprinklers plugin - noopara's question "Is there a way to get the data from mcsSprinklers to my Win7 HS3 box?" is answered....Correct?

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    I'm not sure how the mcsSprinklers Davis data would get converted to HS3 devices. That would be a question for Michael (author of mcsSprinklers).
    The mcsSprinklers plugin creates devices for all weather data that it receives no matter if the source is local or via internet.

Leave a comment:

• taylormia
    replied
    Attached is a general guide on integrating weeWX weather software with the weather34 web template and getting the weather data from a Davis Vantage Pro2 into HomeSeer HS3 via the Jon00 Cumulus script.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• taylormia
    replied
    I'm not sure how the mcsSprinklers Davis data would get converted to HS3 devices. That would be a question for Michael (author of mcsSprinklers).

Leave a comment:

• noopara
    replied
    I appreciate all the ideas. Right now my Davis data is captured via IP data logger thru the local network by my stand alone mcsSprinklers on a linux Odroid. Is there a way to get the data from mcsSprinklers to my Win7 HS3 box?

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Here the transition was for Cumulus running in Windows to running in Linux and getting the Davis data to both instances. Over time velcroed an RPi to the back of the Davis console which would work too for WeeWx. Over the years here also went to running mcsSprinklers on a Seagate Dockstar debian computer and just read an updated custom created text file for the basics necessary for mcsSprinklers. Maybe two years ago or so helping a Homeseer user with his multifunctional Ubuntu HS3 box and at his request installed WeeWx and configured it. That endeavor hooked me on to using WeeWx and combining the 1-wire data to the Davis weather station data. While there was always talk about using 1-wire data in Cumulus...it never happened.

I concur with taylormia that the best direction (if a Linux user) and most flexible free opensource weather program today is WeeWx.

Leave a comment:

• taylormia
    replied
    weeWX runs on Linux not on Windows and can use the Weatherlink IP data logger. Check out the details at http://weewx.com/docs/hardware.htm . The least expensive way to get weeWX running is to get an old PC, or Pi clone like the Nano Pi K1 Plus that has better specs than the original (https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.ph...product_id=220) and install a Linux distribution like Ubuntu. The K1 Plus has an Ubuntu distro built for it. You can download Ubuntu 18.04 at https://www.ubuntu.com/#download . Then install and configure weeWX. The weeWX user guide is quite good. You would also need to install a weeWX extension called "crt" ( https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/crt ) which outputs a Cumulus realtime.txt file which can be read by the Jon00 Cumulus script to get your Davis info into HS3.
    If you are not comfortable with setting up Linux/weeWX , you can go the Cumulus on Windows route - which works well and produces the realtime.txt file that the HS3 Jon00 Cumulus script uses.
    Let me know if I can help with questions on weeWX.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    How would I get the WeeWx data to map into HomeSeer devices?

WeeWx to Mosquitto to HS3 plugin mcsMQTT for Homeseer 3 weather variables.

You can also add a MeteoStick / second Davis Console connection for two connections to the Davis weather station.

Originally here tried to make a single buffered serial link (custom made buffered serial port device) to talk to two serial connections and while it worked for a long time it eventually quit working properly. IE: one console connection to a Windows application and another to a Linux application.

Leave a comment:

• noopara
    replied
    All good suggestions here, but....

Yes, Michael's mcsSprinklers does indeed talk directly to the Davis IP data logger. No need for another program like Cumulus or WeeWx to create a csv file. It works beautifully. I should know, my Davis weather system was what he used to get it working. It works great!!!

My mcsSprinkler implementation is totally a stand alone system. It's completely independent of HomeSeer. However, I do need to get weather data from my Davis weather system into HomeSeer faster than what I could do with calls to WeatherLink.com.

taylormia's idea of using WeeWx may be my intermediate solution until someone develops a script or plug-in for HS to talk to the Davis IP data logger. Maybe, Michael will do it. Hint..Hint.

My HS3 is running on a Win7 machine. It looks like WeeWx doesn't play to well, if at all, with Windows. Too bad, because if it uses an IP data logger I could use it to harvest the data from the weather system. How would I get the WeeWx data to map into HomeSeer devices?

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    In mcsSprinklers is the interface to talk directly to Davis IP data logger. No additional licenses or intermediate formats such as CSV. Maps into HS devices and used directly by mcsSprinklers for irrigation decisions.

Leave a comment:

• taylormia
    replied
    I understand why you want an HS3 solution to directly read the Davis console data and perhaps someone will do just that....but in the mean time I would recommend weeWX wholeheartedly. It's open source, been around since 2009, continues to be be developed, is supported actively by the developer and community, supports a wide array of weather stations, runs on Linux with low resource requirements and is extensible via a long list of plugins/extensions. It even supports MQTT...a key protocol in IOT and home automation. Enough said.

Leave a comment:

• brientim
    replied
    Originally posted by brientim View Post
    You can download the data directly from WeatherLink using their API.

http://api.weatherlink.com/v1/NoaaEx...piToken=APIKEY
    The API can be found at the link below
    https://www.weatherlink.com/static/d...umentation.pdf

Leave a comment:

• brientim
    replied
    You can download the data directly from WeatherLink using their API.

http://api.weatherlink.com/v1/NoaaEx...piToken=APIKEY

Leave a comment:

• noopara
    replied
    The Cumulus solution is fast enough but what I am looking for is a simpler and more reliable solution without the use of another program such as Cumulus or WeeWX. For many years I used Cumulus to capture data from my Davis weather station and create the csv file for mcsSprinklers. I recently moved my stand alone mcsSprinklers to an Odroid Linux processor. mcsSprinklers is reading the weather station data directly from the weather station now. An HS3 script could easily get the data directly in the same manner. Also, it would seem that the future of SandySoft and the Cumulus program is a little unsure. I've been burned too many times over the last 20 years with programs being dropped or becoming incompatible with newer hardware/software/OSs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X