Ramblings about Ambient plug-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ramblings about Ambient plug-in

I thought I would be the first to post in this forum.

I have been using the plug-in since John released the first beta. It has been working great throughout the development. Offering a local dat option for the devices supported in the ObserverIP gives me the peace of mind to know that values will be current for three critical devices used for home automation.

We now use the luminance device from our PWS to determine outside lighting. It is proving to be much more reliable and consistently accurate than the Aeotec Z-Wave multi-sensors we were using. It took me a couple of days of charting luminance to see the values being reported. I then used the values I determined to be correct for determining "Low Light" through a virtual device. This device is turned on when outside light drops below a certain value and it will stay on until the luminance rises substantially above that minimum. The range between the two values, stops the lighting from being controlled too frequently. We have been experiencing a lot of storms over the last week or so and our living area lighting has been near perfect. As soon as the level triggers the Low LIght device, our living area lighting is turned on and basement motion controlled lighting is enabled. Surprisingly, this is approved of and appreciated by my wife.

We use the rain values to determine irrigation schedules. We were using the weather devices from our PWS on Weather Underground. This works well, but is still dependent on an Internet connection. We don't worry too much about Internet as we have not had any outages this year and only one very brief one last year. Nevertheless, I prefer to keep as much local as I can.

We were looking each morning at the value for "Rain Yesterday" to adjust our schedules. We can set our irrigation schedule to every day, every other day, every 3 days, or every 4th day. I use a counter that is incremented, left the same or decremented based on yesterday's rain. That counter determines the days since last run in order to evaluate whether today is an irrigation day. Since Yesterday's Rain is the total accumulation of rain for the day, it is an excellent value to look at. If we had sufficient rain yesterday to negate the need for irrigation today, the counter is manipulated accordingly. With no rain it is incremented, with up to .1" of rain yesterday the counter is incremented, with .1-.25" the counter is left alone, with .25-.5" it is decremented and with over .5" it is set to -1. This system actually works much better and more consistently that our ground moisture sensors. We irrigate during the night, beginning well after sunset. Even if it is a sche!
    duled irrigation day, they will not run if today's rain exceeds .25" and they will be stopped if it exceeds .25" while running.

This new plug-in is great, but Ambient does not provide rain yesterday, only today, the week, the month or total. While I could have changed my events to look at today's rain totals at 11:55 each night, we still wanted a rain yesterday device to look at. I created a Yesterdays Rain virtual device and a simple event to set yesterdays rain to today's rain each night at 11:50PM. The ObserverIP resets todays rain each night at midnight. The virtual device is built to match the plug-in device in terms of values and graphics. I used Jon00's device grouping script to put the virtual device in the same group as the plug-in devices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	214
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1242355

The Event to update the virtual device just runs an immediate script where 8761 is the RefID of the "Today's Rain" device and 8859 is the RefID of the virtual device.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	189
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1242356
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Very cool logic you have going there. I don't have anything near as sophisticated. But I don't have a "irrigation" need either. I have a small patch of lawn in a wooded area.

Comment

While I've been measuring rainfall myself, I too did the same as randy. Created a virtual device for prior day's rain. Each night my utility script takes today's rain value and copies it to the previous day rain.
      I will spring for one of these too - still haven't decided which unit. But I really like the fact that I can obtain weather info locally. My irrigation control depends on this...

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
        While I've been measuring rainfall myself, I too did the same as randy. Created a virtual device for prior day's rain. Each night my utility script takes today's rain value and copies it to the previous day rain.
        I will spring for one of these too - still haven't decided which unit. But I really like the fact that I can obtain weather info locally. My irrigation control depends on this...

Robert
        Local is only available through the ObserverIP module. If the PWS you get does not use/include the ObserverIP then you will need to buy that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post

Local is only available through the ObserverIP module. If the PWS you get does not use/include the ObserverIP then you will need to buy that as well.
          Yes... thanks. That has been my understanding. I'm definitely in the market for the ObserverIP in any case.

Robert
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Have you bought anything yet?

I recently installed a Ambient Weather WS-2090 (Wireless) at my parents house and have it up and running. This is a nice Wx and the internet interface is built into the console, no additional hardware needed. It is working well with the plugin.

I also have 2 Davis Wx that interface through a Weatherbridge (Meteobridge with an Ambient Weather specific license). These, too, are working with the plugin.

David

Comment

I should note, that I have Rachio controllers at the two location with the Davis, and the weather station data drives the decision in the Rachio as to whether or not to run that day. What Randy has set up it built into the Rachio device. It uses data from a different site - Anything Weather if I recall correctly. Having the Ambient Weather data provides a more general solution. There are several ways to scrape the data from WU, but this plugin is far simpler.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

I'm trying to decide which Ambient Weather station to purchase and integrate with HS3. Local data retrieval is my top priority, and I understand the ObserverIP module is required to accomplish this. Can anybody provide (or show me where to find) info as to which weather stations are compatible with the ObserverIP module (assuming it is not sold with it). For example, I really like the WS-2000 because of the display that it comes with, but I cannot find anything documenting whether or not it is compatible with the ObserverIP module, which I would want to purchase separately just for being able to pull data locally. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffscott86 View Post

I'm trying to decide which Ambient Weather station to purchase and integrate with HS3. Local data retrieval is my top priority, and I understand the ObserverIP module is required to accomplish this. Can anybody provide (or show me where to find) info as to which weather stations are compatible with the ObserverIP module (assuming it is not sold with it). For example, I really like the WS-2000 because of the display that it comes with, but I cannot find anything documenting whether or not it is compatible with the ObserverIP module, which I would want to purchase separately just for being able to pull data locally. Any advice would be appreciated!
                  In a nut shell all Ambient Weather PWS are compatible with the ObserverIP module.

Specifically to your question the WS-2000 is the same at the WS-2902 with the difference being the Display Console. The PWS is the same.

Comment

Randy,

Which PWS are you using?
                    Michael

Comment

I'm confused about local mode only. When I select it, the plugin doesn't update any of the temperature device values. Live data from the Observer show data and temperature. So not sure what I'm doing wrong here... WS-1550-IP.

No temperatures logged in Local only.

Mar-25 9:42:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug -------------------------------------------------
                      Mar-25 9:42:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Wind Speed: 0
                      Mar-25 9:42:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Wind Gust Daily Max: 23.82
                      Mar-25 9:42:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Wind Gust: 0
                      Mar-25 9:42:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Wind Direction: 163
                      Mar-25 9:42:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update UV Index: 0
                      Mar-25 9:42:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Luminance: 0
                      Mar-25 9:42:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Solar Radiation: 0.00
                      Mar-25 9:42:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Rain Weekly: 5.08
                      Mar-25 9:42:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Rain Hourly: 0
                      Mar-25 9:42:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Rain Daily: 5.08
                      Mar-25 9:42:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Humidity Outdoor: 60
                      Mar-25 9:42:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug ObserverIP Updating

Logging when in Hybrid mode.(Update feels like only)

Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug -------------------------------------------------
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Wind Speed: 0
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Wind Gust Daily Max: 23.82
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Wind Gust: 0
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Wind Direction: 162
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update UV Index: 0
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Luminance: 0
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Solar Radiation: 0.00
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Rain Weekly: 5.08
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Rain Hourly: 0
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Rain Daily: 5.08
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Local Update Humidity Outdoor: 61
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug ObserverIP Updating
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug -------------------------------------------------
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Feels Like: -4.3
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Rain Last: 325
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Dew Point: -10.9
                      Mar-25 9:45:02 PM AmbientWeather Debug AmbientWeather.Net Updating

Not in Hybrid or local only. (Both temperatures)

Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug -------------------------------------------------
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Barometric Pressure (Abs): No Data
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Temperature Outdoor: -4.4
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Wind Speed: 1.4
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Wind Gust Daily Max: 14.76
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Wind Gust: 1.8
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Wind Direction: 162
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update UV Index: 0
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Feels Like: -4.4
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Luminance: 0
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Luminance: 0
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Rain Weekly: 0.25
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Yearly Rain Total: 0
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Rain Total: 0
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Rain Monthly: 0
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Rain Last: 325
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Rain Hourly: 0
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Rain Daily: 0.25
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Humidity Outdoor: 61
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Dew Point: -10.8
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug Update Pressure (Rel): No Data
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug -------------------------------------------------
                      Mar-25 9:50:01 PM AmbientWeather Debug AmbientWeather.Net Updating
                      Mar-25 9:50:00 PM AmbientWeather Debug Connection Success.
                      Mar-25 9:50:00 PM AmbientWeather Debug Connecting to AmbientWeather.Net…

Is this plugin not compatible with the WS-1550-IP? What are others seeing?

Robert

Comment

What version of the Plugin?
                        What version of firmware on the OIP?

Comment

Plugin is 2.1.0.119 and latest firmware 4.5.6.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                            Plugin is 2.1.0.119 and latest firmware 4.5.6.
                            All I can say is that this is odd and the first I've heard of it. I'll run a test on my side and see if anyone else has this problem...

Comment

Working...
                            X