ObserverIP Module Locking Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ObserverIP Module Locking Up

There is a problem with the ObserverIP module where it will stop reporting and the lights will go off and not be available on the network. The preliminary word back from Ambient Weather is that it's an issue with the "Scraping" and they are aware of the problem. However I have not gotten information regarding the root cause of the problem or an avoidance to the problem. The solution as it stands currently is to monitor and reset the device. (Unplug power... wait... plug back in power)

This "solution" leads me to believe it's a system level issue of the device not handling the network connections in an efficient manner of the typical Open/Close connections and too many connections in a TIMEWAIT state end up consuming memory and crashing the little box. I'm going to look into this further and discuss with Ambient Weather.

I will update as I learn more.

Nuts! Just when I was ready to purchase this thing...
    --------------------------------------------------
    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Well you still can, but it appears there's a hardware issue with it. So you may have to setup a nightly reboot to keep the device up and running. I'm still having talks with Ambient Weather to see where this leads.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So you are finding that a nightly reboot keeps this operational? I.E. the lockup's only occur once in a 24 hour period?

Comment

I have had a total of 1 lockup since having my ObserverIP. I'm still watching it and waiting. So far so good. I powered it off/on Monday (8/20/18) and it's been happy ever since. Still watching it.

Comment

I reset mine at 9:05PM on 8/22/18 testing an Event that power cycles it and it has not hiccupped since. I have an Event configured to power cycle it if it fails, but the Event has never triggered since I built it and tested it Wednesday.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I haven't had this issue with the plugin running fir over a week now. Possibly a firmware specific issue?

Comment

Possible. In speaking with Ambient Weather they said there's a known issue with "Scraping" but couldn't provide "details" about the issue. I still haven't gotten any finer details back yet but they are looking into adding a watchdog to reboot as the answer for this.

However like you mine has been running fine with only that one incident.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  I reset mine at 9:05PM on 8/22/18 testing an Event that power cycles it and it has not hiccupped since. I have an Event configured to power cycle it if it fails, but the Event has never triggered since I built it and tested it Wednesday.
                  Do you use something like hs.ping to the observerIP and reset based on that result?

If this is prevalent maybe this should be a plugin feature/option?

Comment

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post

Do you use something like hs.ping to the observerIP and reset based on that result?

If this is prevalent maybe this should be a plugin feature/option?
                    You could do that. I use UltraMon3 triggers. UltraMon3 detects online status by ARP, but the ObserverIP does respond to a ping. When the UltraMon3 Device goes offline, I power off the Observer for 30 seconds to reset it. This works in my system.

John is not seeing the lockups that I am, but he has added a polling rate selection for local queries of the ObserverIP. I will be testing this week to see if reducing it from 16 seconds to once a minute will help.

Comment

Was there ever a resolution to this? I would like to try out an Ambient system but was hoping to do better than 1 minute polling.

Comment

Polling at 1 minute seems to resolve it. John and I have both exchanged emails with Ambient. They do not indicate they are going to do anything about it. I was told in an email that we are using a method they do not support. I asked about them providing the ability to post to a third webserver (in addition to WU and Ambient) but they never answered.

I am curious what measurement would be more useful with updates at ~16 seconds as compared to once a minute.

Comment

I am picturing an event that does something if wind gust exceeds X or rainfall value changes. Have to work through the use cases to see if it really matters.

How often would I need to power cycle to run at 16 second polling? Is once per day often enough?

Comment

Are you guys comfortable with Ambient's position relating to third party development? I've read a few posts where (in my opinion) they seem less than helpful. Just wondering over the long term.

I saw a product under development (crowd funded) here on this forums and I might wait for that to come to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
                              Are you guys comfortable with Ambient's position relating to third party development? I've read a few posts where (in my opinion) they seem less than helpful. Just wondering over the long term.

I saw a product under development (crowd funded) here on this forums and I might wait for that to come to fruition.
                              From my experience with Ambient Weather they are pretty much just like any other business when working with them. If you are coming from a consumer angle of normal support then that is what you will receive and it unfortunately is not always helpful or really what you are looking for. On the flip side of my dealings with Ambient Weather coming from a B2B angle of things I do get more information and more specifics on the technical issues and what is being tried in order to correct them.

I can say Ambient Weather is aware of the ObserverIP issues and they are looking to resolve the lockup problems and looking at what can be done. However such issues are not an easy fix when it's an embedded device with limited resources to begin with and being used for a use-case it was never designed for.

Comment

Working...
                              X