New Weather Stations WS-2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Weather Stations WS-2000

I just purchased and received a WS-2000 from Ambient.
    Question: is it currently supported? if not, would you please add support?
    The WS-2000 does work with the IP Observer, so it should use the same protocols. Hopefully.
    Thanks.

It should work. The only question is if it has sensors that are additional to the ones on the other models. If so I'll have to gather some information from you to add those sensors. The best way to find out is to try it.

All Ambient Weather systems work with their AmbientWeather.Net Dashboard which is where the plugin pulls information from. The ObserverIP module is an add-on or included module depending on the PWS for sending the data to AmbientWeather.Net. The AmbientWeather plugin can also pull data directly from the ObserverIP module.

Comment

I think the WS-2000 used the same weather station as the WS-2902 but it supports up to eight addition sensors without requiring an ObserverIP

Comment

Yes I believe that is correct. To my current understanding the only difference is the "Base Station" or "Display" is changed. So it should work fine. The limitation is that LOCAL data retrieval is not supported without the ObserverIP module but the add-on sensors aren't supported LOCAL anyways.

Comment

Yeah, Weather Station WS-2000 up and working, online, both Ambient and WU. also running the Ambient plugin on trial mode for a while.
          Thanks.

So the Ambient plugin 'scrapes' the info. Is there any effort to create a native plugin? please don't look at me. not a programmer at all.

Ok, just read backwards up the thread. I do not have an Observer, but could/would get one if it means that an HS pluggin is not dependent upon an 'online linkage'. I am like Pete in doing all independently of 'onlineness.'

Comment

Originally posted by 45rogue View Post
            Yeah, Weather Station WS-2000 up and working, online, both Ambient and WU. also running the Ambient plugin on trial mode for a while.
            Thanks.

So the Ambient plugin 'scrapes' the info. Is there any effort to create a native plugin? please don't look at me. not a programmer at all.

Ok, just read backwards up the thread. I do not have an Observer, but could/would get one if it means that an HS pluggin is not dependent upon an 'online linkage'. I am like Pete in doing all independently of 'onlineness.'
            The Ambient Plugin does not "scrape" data from AmbientWeather.net

1. The plugin uses the AmbientWeather.Net API to pull the data from AmbientWeather. This is the Ambient Weather method of retrieving data. They have two methods. REST API and "Real-Time" API using WebSockets. The Ambient Weather "Console" updates the AmbientWeather.Net site every 1 minute or slower (you set that using Ambient Tool). The Simplex Technology plugin uses the REST API currently as the WebSockets is "Beta". However there is another plugin AmbientWeatherRTS that uses the WebSocket API. Feel free to test it out as well.

2. The plugin does do "scraping" of the ObserverIP module for Local data access. This is the only way to get data from the ObserverIP currently. We are working directly with Ambient Weather (I speak with the Owner often). In any updates/changes that can be done to provide local data in a "cleaner" fashion. If this changes then we will update the plugin accordingly. Note that even with the ObserverIP module the "add-on sensors" do NOT report locally and their data is ONLY available through AmbientWeather.Net API.

Comment

I've had the 2000 unit a few months now, and today downloaded the HS plugin. I don't see instructions but got an API and put that in on the HS screen field, also put in an IP for my local unit, preference for metric, and put in "Outside" for Room 1 (I don't use Room 2 but it's defaulting to Ambient Weather). Clicked on start local server and Create Devices..got a red message saying devices creating, but never see them. The log has a connected entry for the pluigin to its server...have waited but not seeing any device.

Added later: however the devices and their data do now show up on the HS Touch iPhone app. Under All Locations, "Ambient Weather" appears and under that "Outside".

That said, is there a way to get the barometric pressure in hpa and the date (as in Rain Last) in dd/mm/yy format? My iphone is set for that date format as is my HS config and my Ambient device config itself, but looks like these aren't being checked upon display

Suggestions?
              Last edited by smcwilliams; November 10, 2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smcwilliams View Post
                I've had the 2000 unit a few months now, and today downloaded the HS plugin. I don't see instructions but got an API and put that in on the HS screen field, also put in an IP for my local unit, preference for metric, and put in "Outside" for Room 1 (I don't use Room 2 but it's defaulting to Ambient Weather). Clicked on start local server and Create Devices..got a red message saying devices creating, but never see them. The log has a connected entry for the pluigin to its server...have waited but not seeing any device.

Added later: however the devices and their data do now show up on the HS Touch iPhone app. Under All Locations, "Ambient Weather" appears and under that "Outside".

That said, is there a way to get the barometric pressure in hpa and the date (as in Rain Last) in dd/mm/yy format? My iphone is set for that date format as is my HS config and my Ambient device config itself, but looks like these aren't being checked upon display

Suggestions?
                Sounds like you are using an old version. You should update to the latest in the Beta section. The start server is old and was replaced with a polling interval to not kill the ObserverIP module as it is quite fragile. You may want to start from scratch with the latest version as devices were changed if I remember as well to correct an issue which may require devices to be re-created.

I will have to look into the date formatting. This is the first request for that.

Comment

I am using 2.1.0.34 and that is also the version listed in the Beta area--thus as far as I can tell I am current. I did resolve the issues of the device not showing up...unlike any other plugin I have used (and I go back to HS1) the devices showed up as unchecked under the DeviceType listing. Once I checked that, then ticked off each device, I could see them all in my usual listing.

As to metric, once I restarted the HS server or possibly the app (for two different reasons) the readings all came up in ISU with the exception of the two for barometric pressure. The label shows as "hpa" but the numbers are 752.6. My main Ambient unit shows "1003.7hpa" which is an expected measurement. I suppose you could call 752.6 metric as it is mm of Hg but I don't know anywhere that uses that as a scale as the standard was put at hpa which coincided with mbars for American usage.

Thus actually all well and good except for the wonky two readings for rel and abs barometric pressure. Be nice if that worked too.

Thanks,

Scott

p.s. I did check earlier to see 2.1.0.34 was in the beta area but looked again at 5.25p and saw 119 was there. have updated to that now.
                  Last edited by smcwilliams; November 20, 2018, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I am using 2.1.0.34 and that is also the version listed in the Beta area--thus as far as I can tell I am current. I did resolve the issues of the device not showing up...unlike any other plugin I have used (and I go back to HS1) the devices showed up as unchecked under the DeviceType listing. Once I checked that, then ticked off each device, I could see them all in my usual listing.

As to metric, once I restarted the HS server or possibly the app (for two different reasons) the readings all came up in ISU with the exception of the two for barometric pressure. The label shows as "hpa" but the numbers are 752.6. My main Ambient unit shows "1003.7hpa" which is an expected measurement. I suppose you could call 752.6 metric as it is mm of Hg but I don't know anywhere that uses that as a scale as the standard was put at hpa which coincided with mbars for American usage.

Thus actually all well and good except for the wonky two readings for rel and abs barometric pressure. Be nice if that worked too.

Thanks,

Scott
                    Latest beta is 2.1.0.119 in the Beta section

What is your configuration of PWS? Do you have the ObserverIP and did you configure it for the barometric units outside of the plugin? If using with a unit that does not come standard with the ObserverIP do you also have the WS-1000BTH which provides the indoor temp/humidity and barometric readings.

Comment

per the P.S. I did finally find 119 and was at that revision when I posted on the 20th. I do have the ObserveIP configured. I am not sure what this does, but put the IP number of the Ambient station there when I set up the system. Both the Ambient unit and the PC are connected to the same switch in fact, as an fyi. I am not sure how you'd configure "it" for barometric units outside of the plugin, since we are talking about the plug in. As I wrote the Ambient Unit itself shows (at least right now) "1005.2 hpa" and a decreasing trend showing of "2.6hpa" which agree with other readings in my geographic area. I have not a clue what you are talking about re: a unit that does not come standard with the ObserverIP, sorry!. I have no other devices which show indoor temp/humidity or pressure. I just have the plain old 2000 unit.

The info updates correctly to Ambient Weather's web site, and to Weather Underground. Please keep this in mind for the next paragraph:

All that said, as of the last reboot of the HS system two days ago (darn Windows 10 which I thought had had its auto-update disabled, but found not) your plugin now fills the log with error messages:

Exception in ObserverIP Connection: System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.1.188:80 at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress) at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket

The error message goes on, but apparently I reached the limit as to what I can paste here and the rest was chopped off.

I can test from my router by checking the MAC address that the Ambient unit is still at 192.168.1.188 (configured as static DHCP assignment) and, as written, the unit is updating the two remote sites correctly with changing data. I tried disabling the plugin and re-enabling it but get the same error messages. For now I have left the plugin disabled.

Comment

per the P.S. I did finally find 119 and was at that revision when I posted on the 20th. I do have the ObserveIP configured. I am not sure what this does, but put the IP number of the Ambient station there when I set up the system. Both the Ambient unit and the PC are connected to the same switch in fact, as an fyi. I am not sure how you'd configure "it" for barometric units outside of the plugin, since we are talking about the plug in. As I wrote the Ambient Unit itself shows (at least right now) "1005.2 hpa" and a decreasing trend showing of "2.6hpa" which agree with other readings in my geographic area. I have not a clue what you are talking about re: a unit that does not come standard with the ObserverIP, sorry!. I have no other devices which show indoor temp/humidity or pressure. I just have the plain old 2000 unit.

The info updates correctly to Ambient Weather's web site, and to Weather Underground. Please keep this in mind for the next paragraph:

All that said, as of the last reboot of the HS system two days ago (darn Windows 10 which I thought had had its auto-update disabled, but found not) your plugin now fills the log with error messages:

Exception in ObserverIP Connection: System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.1.188:80 at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress) at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket

The error message goes on, but apparently I reached the limit as to what I can paste here and the rest was chopped off.

I can test from my router by checking the MAC address that the Ambient unit is still at 192.168.1.188 (configured as static DHCP assignment) and, as written, the unit is updating the two remote sites correctly with changing data. I tried disabling the plugin and re-enabling it but get the same error messages. For now I have left the plugin disabled.

The error "ObserverIP Connection: System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server" is a connection error to the ObserverIP unit. Unfortunately this is a known problem with the ObserverIP units themselves. The ObserverIP unit will require a power off/on to correct this. This is a memory issue with the ObserverIP and many have found that adjusting the polling for the OIP in the plugin will help to resolve this. I have had many discussions with Ambient Weather in regards to this problem. It is a known issue and they have no plans to fix it at this time as it would require a new hardware solution with more memory.

Comment

Ah..well thanks for the explanation. I'm assuming that settings (WiFi, C/F etc.) perdure through a power off/on but do accumulators like daily rain, event, hourly, weekly, monthly and year also survive or do they need to be re-entered?

Comment

Ah..well thanks for the explanation. I'm assuming that settings (WiFi, C/F etc.) perdure through a power off/on but do accumulators like daily rain, event, hourly, weekly, monthly and year also survive or do they need to be re-entered?
                            From the ObserverIP unit the normal configuration information is preserved. The accumulators to my knowledge are preserved but should be verified.

Comment

Thank you. I did write down the accumulators' values, and then did a power off/on. Settings and the values all came back intact.

In your documentation, there is no mention of the ObserverIP..you might want to include that explicitly as you mention other settings which need to be entered. Also in the part about the update internal you mention the default of one minute, but not this Ambient-sourced issue which will in effect have your plugin error out faster. Perhaps you could mention that and suggest people use longer values. I set mine today for 30 minutes.

I appreciate your support of your plugin...I'm at Day 12 of the trial but will put through a payment later today for it.

Cheers,
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X