Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ambient WS-8478A

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ambient WS-8478A

    I'm guessing that the WS-8478A is the newest model and maybe does the most with the best resolution. It is not in stock. Will it be supported by your PI and am I guessing correctly about the quality of the instrument? Any information will be greatly appreciated....
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station

    Enabled Plug-Ins:
    2.1.0.119: AmbientWeather | 3.0.21.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.3.6.0: Device History | 3.0.0.56: EasyTrigger | 3.1.0.7: MeiHarmonyHub | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.91: weatherXML | 3.0.1.245: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+

    #2
    Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
    I'm guessing that the WS-8478A is the newest model and maybe does the most with the best resolution. It is not in stock. Will it be supported by your PI and am I guessing correctly about the quality of the instrument? Any information will be greatly appreciated....
    All Ambient Weather systems that report to their AmbientWeather.Net Dashboard are supported by the plugin. Most (maybe all) of them are also compatible with the ObserverIP Module for access to "most" of the data locally. The "add-on" sensors data is ONLY available via the cloud at this point in time for any of their systems.

    As for the quality of sensors and resolution I do not know. You would have to compare specifications they have posted or send Ambient Weather support your questions.

    Comment


      #3
      Note:

      The "UV Index," may be "broken" in the WS-8478A as it doesn't report in Integer format.
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station

      Enabled Plug-Ins:
      2.1.0.119: AmbientWeather | 3.0.21.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.3.6.0: Device History | 3.0.0.56: EasyTrigger | 3.1.0.7: MeiHarmonyHub | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.91: weatherXML | 3.0.1.245: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
        Note:

        The "UV Index," may be "broken" in the WS-8478A as it doesn't report in Integer format.
        That would be a API problem not a plugin problem.

        Comment


          #5
          How is the ws-8478A working with this plugin

          Comment


            #6
            I am also looking to purchase this plugin - for use with the WS-8478A. Any current users, pleased with the plug in and compatibility? Wanting to get some feedback, so I can purchase the system and install. Just want to make sure it is a supported system, before climbing up on my roof and installing. :-) I like the integrations and events I can create with a local weather station, over a virtual station reporting 20 miles away. Hopefully the API is function and not shutting down like the WU API is for users now on a free version, to paid subscription. Any help or recommendations on a weather station would be great!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by MattMan View Post
              I am also looking to purchase this plugin - for use with the WS-8478A. Any current users, pleased with the plug in and compatibility? Wanting to get some feedback, so I can purchase the system and install. Just want to make sure it is a supported system, before climbing up on my roof and installing. :-) I like the integrations and events I can create with a local weather station, over a virtual station reporting 20 miles away. Hopefully the API is function and not shutting down like the WU API is for users now on a free version, to paid subscription. Any help or recommendations on a weather station would be great!
              I can confirm it works with that PWS. I don't have that model to specifically test against for all of the data values it may or may not report though.

              Comment


                #8
                Hi Simplex, great news...I may order the system this weekend and buy the plug-in with the current sale. Hopefully the data will report and render properly.

                any pros/cons with AW over other plugins...using weather reporting data from a weather station, or API?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by MattMan View Post
                  Hi Simplex, great news...I may order the system this weekend and buy the plug-in with the current sale. Hopefully the data will report and render properly.

                  any pros/cons with AW over other plugins...using weather reporting data from a weather station, or API?
                  All of the plugins use an API of some form or direct web scraping of data.

                  The AmbientWeather plugin works in two models.
                  1. Uses AmbientWeather.Net API service to pull data from their servers. Your local PWS updates the AmbientWeather.Net system every minute so the plugin can pull data no more often than 1 minute from the API.
                  2. Local data access by scraping the data from the add-on ObserverIP module. This is a module that older or non-display PWS systems use. You can add this to any of the Ambient PWS systems. This can provide true local access of your PWS data. The downside is that it is not very stable as the ObserverIP module itself has issues and too many web queries causes the module to freeze requiring a power cycle. Many connect a z-wave plug to it and then power cycle the OIP as needed.
                  There is another AmbientWeather plugin available as well by bpwwer. His is also a good plugin and uses the API. I know he was working on integrating their real-time API through websockets. I don't know what the status of that is currently.

                  There are other Weather plugins like WeatherXML which is also good and has A LOT of features/functions. I do not know if it has been updated to also work with AmbientWeather.Net or not but it may be worth looking into as well.

                  Not trying to steer you away, but I think everyone should know all of the available options and I recommend you try them all before purchase.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I appreciate all the detail. So the over clocking on the web quiries, is that an issue propritatry to the PWS, maybe unstable firmware? Or overpolling for status updates too frequently. I suppose the module could be plugged into a Zwave appliance plug and restarted remotely or on a schedule if it freezes up. It sounds like it physically has to be reset. I wonder if it does that generally as a stand alone even when not integrated to a hub or controller by interface. I think its still worth trying for the low cost.

                    I like that the PWS reports to the user network for others in the communities benefit. Certainly this all had a lot of advantages.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by MattMan View Post
                      I appreciate all the detail. So the over clocking on the web quiries, is that an issue propritatry to the PWS, maybe unstable firmware? Or overpolling for status updates too frequently. I suppose the module could be plugged into a Zwave appliance plug and restarted remotely or on a schedule if it freezes up. It sounds like it physically has to be reset. I wonder if it does that generally as a stand alone even when not integrated to a hub or controller by interface. I think its still worth trying for the low cost.

                      I like that the PWS reports to the user network for others in the communities benefit. Certainly this all had a lot of advantages.
                      The issue is with the Observer IP module not with the PWS. The WS-8478A does not come with the Observer IP module and instead uses the color display with a Wifi connection to send the data to AmbientWeather.Net. The systems using a display console with Wifi can't be accessed locally only through the API.

                      I communicate with Ambient Weather frequently about new products and integration and we've discussed the issue with the Observer IP Module. The little SOC does not have enough memory and there is a memory leak within the system firmware. The issue is known but not the cause nor a fix has been provided at this time. The more queries made to the OIP the faster resources are exhausted and the system freezes hard. A power cycle is the only fix as the web interface is no long accessible. I have had good luck running the OIP at 1 minute or longer intervals and had uptimes of a week and sometimes more before a power cycle was needed. For my uses I don't need to the minute weather so I run at 5 minutes however the OIP local access was added by user request for pure local data access.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
                        [/LIST]There is another AmbientWeather plugin available as well by bpwwer. His is also a good plugin and uses the API. I know he was working on integrating their real-time API through websockets. I don't know what the status of that is currently.
                        My plug-in is available in the beta uploader section. I haven't really decided what to do with it as I don't believe anyone is actually using it. It is not as polished as Simplex Technology 's, but does use a different API to get data from the Ambient servers. The mechanism my plug-in uses is called websockets and with that protocol, the Ambient servers push the data to the plug-in as soon as it is available. In general, this should place less load on the servers, but it seems to also suffer from problems where the servers will periodically stop sending data, sometimes requiring the plug-in to be restarted to get it working again.

                        It seems like all consumer grade weather stations have pros and cons relative to each other. Ambient has a nice selection of equipment but the stability of their data collection could be better. Acurite has nice equipment too, but makes it hard to use their data for any local/automation purposes. WeatherFlow (a fairly new entry) has limited equipment and is still working out some issues with accuracy, but makes if very easy to get both local and server based data and the data collection reliability has been very good. Davis has always been good overall but tends to be more expensive.

                        I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them as long as you understand the limitations of each.

                        --
                        Bob Paauwe
                        ISYInsteon Plug-in
                        http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Just got the WS-8478 Ambient weather station and it works perfectly with this plugin. I really like the display panel on the console... nice and bright.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            So I just sent my WS-1550-IP back (RMA) after almost 6 months as it would come and go off the OIP at random. I'm thinking on taking an opportunity presented to me to change the model because I haven't been overly impressed by it working in Hybrid or local only mode. What's the least troublesome WS folks are using here? I really don't care for the console since I have HSTouch, but is there a better unit I should try?
                            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by langenet View Post
                              So I just sent my WS-1550-IP back (RMA) after almost 6 months as it would come and go off the OIP at random. I'm thinking on taking an opportunity presented to me to change the model because I haven't been overly impressed by it working in Hybrid or local only mode. What's the least troublesome WS folks are using here? I really don't care for the console since I have HSTouch, but is there a better unit I should try?
                              I have the WS-1401 and WS-2902 both of which work fine for me. However I have heard other like the WeatherFlow PWS systems...https://weatherflow.com/smart-home-weather-stations/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X