WS-1900 + ObserverIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WS-1900 + ObserverIP

My current ancient lacrosse weather station died, and I'm shopping for a replacement that will work with my Homeseer install. The Ambient equipment looks like a nice replacement, but I have zero interest in accessing their hosted web interface for network viewing, I'd rather just view it through Homeseer.

If I get one of these https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1900.html for the sensor array and display,
    one of these https://www.ambientweather.com/amobserverip.html to talk to this Homeseer plugin,
    and one of these https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1000bth.html for indoor readings,
    will that all work together to get me indoor and outdoor conditions into Homeseer?

I think what I'm reading is that the 1000bth will report directly to the observerip as will the osprey outdoor array, and the display will receive the outdoor data but use its internal sensors for local display so there may be some small reading difference.

I'm thinking the extra $90 for the 2902a is wasted if I'm harvesting the data with the observerip anyway.

Now all you need is the AmbientWeather plugin. You can grab the latest in the Beta section. Version 2.1.0.119. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
      Now all you need is the AmbientWeather plugin. You can grab the latest in the Beta section. Version 2.1.0.119. Works great.
      I'm confused. Which piece of equipment do I need?

I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get a local display + import data into a database that I can display in homeseer. Is my list overkill? Will the plugin work with only the 1900 even though it doesn't have internet?

Comment

jonathanm70 You're original list is correct in the hardware pieces you will need. cowinger was just including the HS3 plugin into your shopping list.

This particular configuration is the same as a WS-2902 with the difference being the Display. This model of the display does NOT upload data to the Ambient Weather Dashboard. However you can use the ObserverIP module to upload the data to the Ambient Weather Dashboard and everything will work.

Currently it is necessary to use the Ambient Weather Dashboard for the "add-on" sensors. Even with the ObserverIP that data is only available through the AW Dashboard.

Also note in your post you say
        import data into a database
        there is no DB involved with the HS3 plugin. Currently historical data is not retained. If that is something you are wanting you will need to devise a method of doing that yourself. This may be a future addition.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanm70 View Post

I'm confused. Which piece of equipment do I need?

I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get a local display + import data into a database that I can display in homeseer. Is my list overkill? Will the plugin work with only the 1900 even though it doesn't have internet?
          Your equipment is fine. You have the WS-1900 and you added the observerip and 1000bth sensor. The plugin will show you all the outputs that "you" select in the plugin plus the outputs of the 1000bth.
          Last edited by cowinger; October 13, 2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Just make sure the WS-1900 is compatible with the ObserverIP as it is not shown as working with that unit on the ObserverIP's station listing.
            --------------------------------------------------
            **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
              Just make sure the WS-1900 is compatible with the ObserverIP as it is not shown as working with that unit on the ObserverIP's station listing.
              Always good to double check. E-Mail ambient support to verify. The WS-1900 is using an Osprey PWS so it should work fine. I don't know of any of the PWS's that do not work with the ObserverIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
                Also note in your post you say there is no DB involved with the HS3 plugin. Currently historical data is not retained. If that is something you are wanting you will need to devise a method of doing that yourself. This may be a future addition.
                If I intercept the data from the observerIP and send it to weewx instead of weather underground, will the homeseer plugin still work? Where in the process does the plugin get the data?

Comment

If I intercept the data from the observerIP and send it to weewx instead of weather underground, will the homeseer plugin still work? Where in the process does the plugin get the data?
                  1. The plugin gets the data from the AmbientWeather.Net API and from web scraping the ObserverIP
                  2. Yes the plugin will still work if you perform an intercept given that you are still forwarding the traffic to AmbientWeather.net. If you do not forward the traffic then there will be no data to collect. It is fully possible to perform the intercept and feed it into weewx and there are some posting/howtos on the internet about doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

1. The plugin gets the data from the AmbientWeather.Net API and from web scraping the ObserverIP
                    2. Yes the plugin will still work if you perform an intercept given that you are still forwarding the traffic to AmbientWeather.net. If you do not forward the traffic then there will be no data to collect. It is fully possible to perform the intercept and feed it into weewx and there are some posting/howtos on the internet about doing this.
                    So if I don't have internet, or ambientweather.net is unavailable, Homeseer will not get the data for local events? Bad weather can take out my internet, and one of the reasons I would want Homeseer to act on a weather event, would be, well, bad weather.

Comment

So if I don't have internet, or ambientweather.net is unavailable, Homeseer will not get the data for local events? Bad weather can take out my internet, and one of the reasons I would want Homeseer to act on a weather event, would be, well, bad weather.
                      No.

If you only use AmbientWeather.Net Dashboard for data then you are dependent on internet access.

If you are using the ObserverIP that is all local except for the "add-on" sensor data. That data is not presented locally by the ObserverIP.

Local data requirements/recommendations:
                      https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/we...a-requirements

Comment

Working...
                      X