No announcement yet.

System crashing (out of memory) when plugin enabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An update, its been 3 hours 20 minutes. With the polling at 1 minute for the ObserverIP memory is at 8.4 which is completely reasonable. Ill keep letting it run, but more and more wondering if the issue was the prior request wasn't complete when the next one fired at 16 seconds which somehow caused the leak. Will update later tonight or tomorrow based on how much memory uses changes.

Also thank you for responding so quickly, always great when an author hops on issues like this asap! (especially during the holidays).

Comment

Originally posted by bsobel View Post
      An update, its been 3 hours 20 minutes. With the polling at 1 minute for the ObserverIP memory is at 8.4 which is completely reasonable. Ill keep letting it run, but more and more wondering if the issue was the prior request wasn't complete when the next one fired at 16 seconds which somehow caused the leak. Will update later tonight or tomorrow based on how much memory uses changes.

Also thank you for responding so quickly, always great when an author hops on issues like this asap! (especially during the holidays).
      Thanks for the updates. I also installed a clean VM with HS3 .478 and Ubuntu 18.04LTS with updates and latest mono for testing. I've been running clean with AmbientWeather plugin for the last couple hours and although I do see a small creep in memory the cpu has behaved normally with a spike during polling updates then back down to a fraction of cpu usage. I'm going to also let it run and see what happens.

I try to be responsive when I'm available. I've been busy with Holiday stuff and trying to get the Simplex Locate plugin into a working state to release an alpha soon.

Comment

Ok, 2 days later (Merry Christmas!) Plugin remains stable, memory usage peaked at 15% but is at 11.4% right now. Only change was adjusting the polling interval, so Im a bit more convinced that to low is resulting in a leak. LMK if you want me to change it back or do any other testing. Thanks!

Comment

I'm not sure if you saw my other posting about my dead system. Until I get a full time system running again I can't do/help with a whole lot. New parts are in the mail, just waiting on FedEx now.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
            I'm not sure if you saw my other posting about my dead system. Until I get a full time system running again I can't do/help with a whole lot. New parts are in the mail, just waiting on FedEx now.
            No I missed that, been there! Good luck getting back up!

Comment

Oh one note, I think I can into the ObserverIP memory issue you warned about. The device got very slow even for a web browser and started seeing timeout exceptions in the HS log. Rebooting the ObserverIP fixed it right up. Could you consider a HomeSeer action in the plugin to reboot the OIP? Figure its worth rebooting every few days as a precaution.

Comment

Just a ping on the reboot request (not sure if you saw it, and just had to reboot the Oip today since the plugin was throwing exceptions [due to the Oip being so slow])

Comment

Just a ping on the reboot request (not sure if you saw it, and just had to reboot the Oip today since the plugin was throwing exceptions [due to the Oip being so slow])
                  I will look to see if there's a way from the interface to issue a reboot. I'm not sure if there is a way or not that will work effectively. Others have used a plug and an event to watch and do a power cycle on issues though.

-- System is built, still trying to get everything installed/configured and back to business... not long now.

Comment

I will look to see if there's a way from the interface to issue a reboot. I'm not sure if there is a way or not that will work effectively. Others have used a plug and an event to watch and do a power cycle on issues though.

-- System is built, still trying to get everything installed/configured and back to business... not long now.
                    Requesting this link will reboot the device immediately, no auth needed (I work in Internet Security so I shudder at this of course, but it does make the action brain dead simple)

http://a.b.c.d/msgreboot.htm

Comment

Requesting this link will reboot the device immediately, no auth needed (I work in Internet Security so I shudder at this of course, but it does make the action brain dead simple)

http://a.b.c.d/msgreboot.htm
                      The link is there but I still question the reliability of it. Gathering the info to determine if the reboot is needed or not, when to fire the reboot and if by that point is the OIP responsive enough to process the request is more of what I was thinking about. Or is it more reliable to simply do a nightly reboot?

Comment

The link is there but I still question the reliability of it. Gathering the info to determine if the reboot is needed or not, when to fire the reboot and if by that point is the OIP responsive enough to process the request is more of what I was thinking about. Or is it more reliable to simply do a nightly reboot?
                        Oh I wasn't suggesting you calculate any of that, just would be convent to have a 'reboot ObserverIP' action. I would then use an event to do the nightly reboot. I can do it with a HTTP command, but having it in the plugin lets me disable the plugin and not worry about having to find any 'associated' events and such if ever needed.

Comment

Working...
                        X