AmbientWeather Plugin - New Version Path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AmbientWeather Plugin - New Version Path

I'm starting the planning to perform a major update of the AmbientWeather plugin. However I'm posed with a problem.

Goal is a full re-write in C# for many reasons but performance is one of them and to do some necessary plugin cleanup along the way. There are issues with the Parent/Child relationship that needs to be fixed as well as some other minor items.

Here's the question to all the users.
    • Re-Write the plugin keeping the same name/license so you don't have to pay again?
      • Downside events will be broken as existing devices will no be valid so you will have to perform a delete/install resetup
    • Re-Write the plugin with a NEW name which also means new license is required
      • Allows for a parallel install of the plugin allowing you to migrate your existing events.

Looking for your thoughts on this. And no there is no easy way to do a migration of the existing devices/code from VB to C# and keeping the same devices as the way they are done today is part of the performance problem. Looking for feedback and I will decide if I do a few minor updates as is and then end the life of this version or not.

I'm presenting this to give an option of getting a free upgrade but your events will be broken until you fix them or a new plugin version/name but you have to pay for it.

I think new plugin version is way to go.. I am always for better performance and more reliable.. $30 for better supported plug-in should be no-brainer IMO. I know I will get it. .

Thank you for all your work..

Comment

I prefer same license. It's no big deal to recreate devices and reinstall plugin. Much better than having to pay another 30$. I just bought this plugin a few weeks ago.... why should I have to buy another???

Comment

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post
        I prefer same license. It's no big deal to recreate devices and reinstall plugin. Much better than having to pay another 30$. I just bought this plugin a few weeks ago.... why should I have to buy another???
        You would only "buy another" IF you wanted the new features/improvements in the new version. Otherwise you can always stick to the older version. But that is for a different topic.

Comment

I have purchased 3 weather plugins in the last 4 years I won't be buying a 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post
            Same here. Keep the same license. I can fix any events and devices etc...
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I'm asking about the recreate or pay because there's been a lot of angry people of other plugins when the update breaks their existing events... so I wanted to give the option.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as others and would rather fix the event's and devices then have yet another weather plugin to purchase.

Comment

Have you come to a conclusion on this? Timing for new version? I am think of purchasing the plugin but will delay if it will soon become inferior to improved version...

Comment

Originally posted by Jayhawk View Post
                    Have you come to a conclusion on this? Timing for new version? I am think of purchasing the plugin but will delay if it will soon become inferior to improved version...
                    It will soon become inferior to the new version. BUT the license will stay the same so you won't have to purchase again. You WILL have to recreate devices though as the new version will be a major overhaul in the device creation/management in the backend.

Comment

It will soon become inferior to the new version. BUT the license will stay the same so you won't have to purchase again. You WILL have to recreate devices though as the new version will be a major overhaul in the device creation/management in the backend.
                      Works for me... thanks.

Comment

Welcome.

Comment

Working...
                        X