Returning value of Zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jim@beersman.com View Post
    Here is what the log captured. Looks like the ObserverIP might have lost communication with the Instrument array or was in the process of rebooting. As you can see from the file only the Rain values were populated everything else was dashes which your code is interpreting as zero. I included the next reading that it took so you can see that as well.

[ATTACH]n1320832[/ATTACH]
    Great..mystery solved. Yes if a non-numeric is returned it is treated as a Null and converted to a 0 for HS use. From the looks of the data in the file I would think along the same line of the OIP lost communication with the sensor array. If the OIP was rebooting there wouldn't be any data for any value as the plugin http connection would have failed.

Comment

The odd thing is that it lost communication with both the outside and inside instruments at the same time. Looking at the Weather forums the ObserverIP does not get high marks. That is why I have been playing with the GW1000 from EcoWitt. Picks up my outside instruments from Ambient Weather as I believe they are all from the same manufacture (Fine Offset)

If you get back a non numeric value from a device that should be numeric I would recommend you discard the result and not forward it to HomeSeer.

Comment

The odd thing is that it lost communication with both the outside and inside instruments at the same time. Looking at the Weather forums the ObserverIP does not get high marks. That is why I have been playing with the GW1000 from EcoWitt. Picks up my outside instruments from Ambient Weather as I believe they are all from the same manufacture (Fine Offset)

If you get back a non numeric value from a device that should be numeric I would recommend you discard the result and not forward it to HomeSeer.
        I've reached out to Ecowitt but they are made by the same manufacturer as the OIP. The EcoWitt does not have a local IP access method though. I had a prototype from FineOffset last year that I was messing around with. It may be possible to integrate with it but not in this plugin as it's a completely different structure for interfacing.

I can look into the data transform I'm doing and see about modifying the data. However if the value goes to 0 and it shouldn't be I think that's better than the previous value not updating at all and possibly going unnoticed for a longer period of time. If the value is 0 and is updated to 0 that is not a 'device value' change and should not trigger an event. Is the device update time changing on each occurance? If that is changing that is something I should modify.

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech View Post

I've reached out to Ecowitt but they are made by the same manufacturer as the OIP. The EcoWitt does not have a local IP access method though. I had a prototype from FineOffset last year that I was messing around with. It may be possible to integrate with it but not in this plugin as it's a completely different structure for interfacing.

I can look into the data transform I'm doing and see about modifying the data. However if the value goes to 0 and it shouldn't be I think that's better than the previous value not updating at all and possibly going unnoticed for a longer period of time. If the value is 0 and is updated to 0 that is not a 'device value' change and should not trigger an event. Is the device update time changing on each occurance? If that is changing that is something I should modify.
          Actually the GW1000 supports local IP access straight out of the box. In the setup you tell the GW1000 the IP and Port that you want it to send the data to. It supports two formats Weather Underground and EcoWitt. It also supports sending to it's own EcoWitt.net, WeatherUnderground and Weathercloud. I wrote a quick and dirty app this weekend to listen on the assigned port and then transformed it into MQTT and imported it into HomeSeer using the mcsMQTT plugin. So far seems to work fine as a proof of concept. Maybe if I get some time this winter might try to create as a plugin, just don't have the spare time right now.

Comment

Actually the GW1000 supports local IP access straight out of the box. In the setup you tell the GW1000 the IP and Port that you want it to send the data to. It supports two formats Weather Underground and EcoWitt. It also supports sending to it's own EcoWitt.net, WeatherUnderground and Weathercloud. I wrote a quick and dirty app this weekend to listen on the assigned port and then transformed it into MQTT and imported it into HomeSeer using the mcsMQTT plugin. So far seems to work fine as a proof of concept. Maybe if I get some time this winter might try to create as a plugin, just don't have the spare time right now.
            Really? I was looking at the website last night and it had no mention of a custom data sender.... this is configured from their WS View mobile app? Confirm and I'll order one tonight from Amazon and if there's local data access consider a plugin in development then.

Comment

Really? I was looking at the website last night and it had no mention of a custom data sender.... this is configured from their WS View mobile app? Confirm and I'll order one tonight from Amazon and if there's local data access consider a plugin in development then.
              Yes, it's configured from the WS View app, select the More option in top right corner and go to weather services. Then hit next 4 times to get to the customized IP screen.

Word of warning throw the instructions that come with the GW1000 in the trash and download the PDF from their website. I wasted 30-40 minutes using the provided manual whose directions can't work to configure it. The online manul takes just a few steps and it's configured. The best part about the GW1000 is you don't have to query it. In WS View you tell it how often to send the data outbound. I have mine currently configured to 30 seconds.

Comment

Yes, it's configured from the WS View app, select the More option in top right corner and go to weather services. Then hit next 4 times to get to the customized IP screen.

Word of warning throw the instructions that come with the GW1000 in the trash and download the PDF from their website. I wasted 30-40 minutes using the provided manual whose directions can't work to configure it. The online manul takes just a few steps and it's configured. The best part about the GW1000 is you don't have to query it. In WS View you tell it how often to send the data outbound. I have mine currently configured to 30 seconds.
                I went and dug through some boxes and found the proto unit GW1000 that I had... going to try and update firmware on it....also placing an order on Amazon for an "official" one. If this worked you've earned a free license when released!

Comment

I went and dug through some boxes and found the proto unit GW1000 that I had... going to try and update firmware on it....also placing an order on Amazon for an "official" one. If this worked you've earned a free license when released!
                  My GW1000 is running firmware 1.5.0 can't speak to other versions

Comment

Working...
                  X