Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Websocket errors, not updating HS devices.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep me posted to see if there are any issues without the websocket running. If there still are then I'll have to dig in deeper.

Comment

Will do! Everything remains fine since yesterday.

Just spitballin’ here... Would it be possible for the plug-in to provide a ‘heartbeat’? In essence it could update a virtual device each time it reads from the OIP and ambientweather.net, then successfully writes to the affected HS devices. This device would cease to be updated when there is a breakdown anywhere in the loop, including the plug-in itself failing to respond. As it stands now, I have to use the last change date in a script which is reliant on the device’s value actually changing. In this case I use several devices to minimize false reports, but if the plug-in could report all is well on a regular basis, trouble detection would be more reliable.

There are several plug-ins I am reliant on for timely reporting, where some sort of heartbeat could be very useful for trouble detection. Overall my system is very reliable, but it would be great if all plug-ins could regularly report that they are working so as to simplify trouble detection.

Comment

The heartbeat is possible but it's again another device being updated and although it would simplify looking to see if devices are being updated it would still suffer from failure if the whole plugin is having an issue. Yet I think that may be the point?

Lets watch things for a bit and see if nothing else happens. I want to find out if anyone else has had the websocket errors like you had and issues before I make the decision to completely remove the websocket or leave it as optional if people want to try it. The only issue is that even if it's optional if it causes anyone else grief it's just more support work so it may be best to simply remove it. Things to ponder....

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech View Post
          The heartbeat is possible but it's again another device being updated and although it would simplify looking to see if devices are being updated it would still suffer from failure if the whole plugin is having an issue. Yet I think that may be the point?
          That is the rationale. If the plug-in interface locks, disconnects or otherwise fails, the heartbeat stops. If the plug-in detects that it is not receiving data from monitored devices, the heartbeat stops. If it fails to successfully write to HS devices, the heartbeat stops.

Not so much with your plug-in, but with OneWire devices or Arduino inputs/outputs, I need to know that the process is working, from sensors to HS devices. I’ll bounce those off of Randy (UltraJones Ultra1Wire3) and Greig (Enigmatheatre Arduino). In the wintertime yours is critical for detecting a hard freeze, but I have redundancy in OneWire devices. I also have old style failover devices, should HomeSeer fail altogether. Since my HomeSeer uptime has been 100% (other than planned maintenance and a couple of hardware failures) for several years, my primary focus is on plug-in dependencies. I have several dozen Events whose sole purpose is to notify me if something fails to update.

Comment

rprade have you had any further errors since the websocket has been disabled?

Comment

None.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                None.
                Great. Think it's ready to push to release?

Comment

Working...
                X