Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Websocket errors, not updating HS devices.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Websocket errors, not updating HS devices.

About 4 days ago my HomeSeer devices stopped updating. I found this out because much of my lighting depends on the luminance readings from the weather station and none are working correctly. Both WU and Ambient online continue to update. If I restart websocket, I get an update, but they do not continue. Restarting HomeSeer, the plug-in and the Observer have no effect. Finally today I enabled debugging and get:
    Aug-29 10:46:15 AM AmbientWeather Debug WebSocket Error
    Aug-29 10:46:15 AM AmbientWeather Debug WebSocket Closed
    Aug-29 10:46:15 AM AmbientWeather Debug WebSocket Error
    Aug-29 10:46:15 AM AmbientWeather Debug WebSocket Closed
    Aug-29 10:46:14 AM AmbientWeather Debug WebSocket Error
    Aug-29 10:46:14 AM AmbientWeather Debug WebSocket Closed
    Aug-29 10:46:13 AM AmbientWeather Debug WebSocket Error
    Aug-29 10:46:13 AM AmbientWeather Debug WebSocket Closed

When I stopped the websocket all the HS devices are being updated. I guess I am not clear on what the Ambientweather.net websocket would have to do with what should be locally updated devices.

Any ideas on how to proceed troubleshooting?
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

What version of the plugin? I recently pushed out a beta (last week maybe) because of some devices not updating from polling. The open/closed of the websocket is "normal" however the "error" is not and the error that often is new so I'll have to look into that.

All devices get updated in real-time through the websocket. Even the OIP devices if you're sending that data to AW. The devices should also be updated based on polling which should act as a "backup" to updating devices in the event the websocket has failures. As in the notes the Websocket is still experimental as the AW side of things is not very stable to start with.

Comment

3.0.0.216, the newest beta.

Right now, with websocket stopped, everything continues to update. If I start it, updating stops. It also seems to start automatically after a restart of HomeSeer.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        3.0.0.216, the newest beta.

Right now, with websocket stopped, everything continues to update. If I start it, updating stops. It also seems to start automatically after a restart of HomeSeer.
        The websocket starts with the plugin automatically.

It is very odd to have errors continuously after a restart so something is wrong with the AW side I'm suspecting for it to work and then be dead. Polling updates should still work even if the websocket is not.

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech View Post

The websocket starts with the plugin automatically.

It is very odd to have errors continuously after a restart so something is wrong with the AW side I'm suspecting for it to work and then be dead. Polling updates should still work even if the websocket is not.
          When the websocket is running, updates through polling are stopped.

Since I cannot have the service stay stopped, for now, I have an event configured that will stop the websocket if luminance fails to update for 5 minutes. That way it will catch it if HomeSeer is restarted for any reason. I could also have an event to stop it on a restart, but it was not clear haw soon after a restart the websocket service is started. It seems to take a couple of minutes. Thus way it will catch it no matter what.

Let me know if you need further testing to figure out what changed a few days ago. As far as any changes I have implemented, it has only been to non-related Events. Nothing has changed with regard to my network.

Comment

When the websocket is running, updates through polling are stopped.

Since I cannot have the service stay stopped, for now, I have an event configured that will stop the websocket if luminance fails to update for 5 minutes. That way it will catch it if HomeSeer is restarted for any reason. I could also have an event to stop it on a restart, but it was not clear haw soon after a restart the websocket service is started. It seems to take a couple of minutes. Thus way it will catch it no matter what.

Let me know if you need further testing to figure out what changed a few days ago. As far as any changes I have implemented, it has only been to non-related Events. Nothing has changed with regard to my network.
            The polling not updating devices when the websocket is running is not making sense to me. I'll take a look into this. I'm thinking I may remove the websocket entirely from the final release due to issues with stability anyways.

Comment

What I wrote above is not 100% correct. Everything seems to update for some time after a restart and with the websocket running. I have yet to figure out exactly when the HS devices quit updating.

Comment

What I wrote above is not 100% correct. Everything seems to update for some time after a restart and with the websocket running. I have yet to figure out exactly when the HS devices quit updating.
                I'd like to figure out why your websocket was in an error state. I fired up a test box and installed the plugin and the websocket is running for me (currently) without errors. Could be remote servers or internet dunno.

Websocket and polling are independent of each other and should not interfere with each other. However if the websocket is causing some larger error state issue that might affect the whole plugin. This I've not encountered but I'll have to look into. The websocket runs in it's own thread but never know sometimes how things are going to intermix and blow up.

Comment

It seems to be a repeatable pattern, for what it's worth...

About 15 minutes after the websocket starts running, the devices stop updating. This pattern has repeated over 3 restarts.

Would it be possible to disable the websocket service permanently?

Comment

It seems to be a repeatable pattern, for what it's worth...

About 15 minutes after the websocket starts running, the devices stop updating. This pattern has repeated over 3 restarts.
                    Does the websocket go into error?

Comment

Yes. I will restart with debug enabled and see if I can catch the timing. The debug errors come very frequently 20 or so per second) when they start

Comment

Ok that's interesting then. I'm not seeing any errors on my end so I'm questioning if it's a system level item or not. You are so far the first to report this type of issue. It does seem to be centered around the websocket which is interesting.

So I'm questioning if this is localized to your system/network or are you and I the only two running the 3.x version?

Comment

It looks like the websocket errors start as soon as the service startsy, but HS devices still update. 2068 errors in 4 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech View Post
                            Ok that's interesting then. I'm not seeing any errors on my end so I'm questioning if it's a system level item or not. You are so far the first to report this type of issue. It does seem to be centered around the websocket which is interesting.

So I'm questioning if this is localized to your system/network or are you and I the only two running the 3.x version?
                            I just cannot think of anything that might have changed since the problems began on Monday. I also agree that it makes no sense that local polling would be affected. I have disabled my failsafe event to confirm.

Comment

OK. System was restarted at 1:35PM. This list is sorted by last change date descending. You can see that all devices stopped updating after 20 minutes at at 1:55:09. Up til that point 9with websocket running), they updated at the 60 second polling interval.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	0 Size:	162.2 KB ID:	1323298

Here I stopped the websocket service at 2:05:55

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.PNG Views:	0 Size:	194.8 KB ID:	1323300

Comment

Working...
                              X