No announcement yet.

Just received this as a weather alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a user of the Weather Warnings script, but... In glancing at the NWS site about this change, I'm pretty sure I could manage to get it working, but I think it would be via a new script rather than edit the old one (looks like a big change to me). The issue then is figuring out how to minimize the change for everyone in their install. It looks like the location codes are completely different.

Steve

Comment

Count me in as having the problem too.

I also don't use the BLWeather plug-in, it's the Weather Warnings script.

However today it went into an infinite loop and threw a timeout error, so I think whatever change was made externally has caused the script to have fits.

Comment

I've not used this warnings script, but have looked at the new feed and I think I have something working (vb.net script) to pull the warnings. I'll start a new thread and solicit some help to get the details close ro the old script.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for digging into this Steve

Marty

Comment

I've modified the old script, but would really prefer a clean .NET one. For those still interested in the old weather warnings script, see this thread:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=146888

If nothing else it might tide us through until Steve or someone gets the .NET version going.

Comment

Gator,

I'll take a look at what you did, and maybe it will help me make sense of the old script.

Mine is a new VB.NET script. I did it from scratch by looking at the new ATOM and CAP1.1 XML. Fortunately, we've had a ton of weather alerts here in Colorado over the past week (I started this on Sunday evening), so I was able to gather lots of sample data.

It appears that the old alerts were in a single XML file, addressed based on the zone of interest. The new one is quite a bit different. A short list of all of the alerts in a state are in the ATOM feed for that state. Each individual alert in that feed includes an effective / expiring date/time, what counties are effected by the alert, and a URL for the XML file that contains the details for that alert.

I've got the script working to find active alerts that match a set of counties in some set of states (both comma separated lists). The stuff it pulls out includes an event type (e.g. 'Winter Storm Warning'), the text of the alert, Instructions (e.g. a winter storm warning means stuff happens, and driving may be dangerous), an area description, severity of the event, urgency (current, expected, etc.), and a few other items that I don't think are of any use.

My problem is figuring out how this info corresponds to what the old script was doing. Since I didn't use the old script and the old feed is now dead, I may need some help. It also sounds like there was some web page to configure the items for the script, and I guess it may help me to see that.

Anyway, I may be looking for a volunteer to help me bridge the knowledge-gap between the old script and mine.

I'm on business travel right now, so won't be working on this until Saturday.

Steve

Comment

I received weather alert emails from my Homeseer server today which I believe are based on the old script - so appears that the feed is still running. Either that, or I have another weather script running that is emailing this to me! I set these scripts up so long ago it is difficult to go in and find out where the email is coming from! I am happy to help out in anyway I can. Let me know.

Also, we should coordinate the activity with this thread as well:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=146888

Comment

Steve,

To be honest I used that script only for the lone purpose of speaking the announcements. I did some modifications to change the warning so it spoke things properly like the day names, mph, est, etc. There was stuff the script was doing that I didn't understand, but didn't really try to. I also had it speak certain warnings during certain times. Basically no warnings were spoken between 11:00PM & 7:00AM except for things like Tornado, Civil Unrest, Nuke, etc. I found that useful to not be awakened late at night.

I'm hoping with the new format it will be much cleaner, but as you noted in this new system the warning is "split" over two pages so that's why it wasn't quite as straight forward to make the changes to the old one.

I'd be glad to help with whatever you need. The old one did read from an ini file things like your zone, how many times to repeat the warning, did you want emails, etc.

Also, the old feed does still work as of today anyway:

http://www.weather.gov/alerts/wwarssget.php?zone=

you just need to stick a zone id at the end and it does appear the old zone codes do work although it looks like they are implementing new ones.

Let me know if there is anything you need!

Comment

Well, if the old feed is back working again, I may slow-roll this project. I won't stop, but I'll try and keep up with other stuff and do a little at a time on this thing.

The more I understand about the data I'm able to pull I get ideas in my head of what I would want to implement, but I feel a little constrained to trying and make it work for all the people who already use the old one. I kind of fear this could turn into a longer-term project than I was looking for...

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                      Well, if the old feed is back working again, I may slow-roll this project. I won't stop, but I'll try and keep up with other stuff and do a little at a time on this thing.

The more I understand about the data I'm able to pull I get ideas in my head of what I would want to implement, but I feel a little constrained to trying and make it work for all the people who already use the old one. I kind of fear this could turn into a longer-term project than I was looking for...

Steve
                      " I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you." Airplane 1980

Comment

Originally posted by mhog View Post
                        " I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you." Airplane 1980
                        I think I remember that scene, and I'm not sure how to take it. Some possibilities:
                        • Between GatorEye and myself, you have formed an image of one of us as being "Elaine" and the other is "Ted". I'm wondering if my posts have come across as feminine....
                        • Perhaps the authors of the original script ate the fish?
                        • Since this is the first time you are saying it, I would expect that as we make progress and eventually get it perfected, you will repeat.
                        • None of the above, and I'm just not thinking straight. I guess I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.

Steve

Comment

Good response! And I thought Coloradans had no sense of humor, Go Huskers!

Just poking fun of course.

Good luck, we are all counting on you!

Comment

Man, now there's a reference that takes me back!

The script does work for now, but I wouldn't mind having something basic (no pun intended) to start with as a good foundation in .NET if you already have writen it.

Again, I'm not really sure what everyone wants or really needs. For me, just having them spoken was all I really care about (which is why my motivation was never great to replace the old one since it worked), so if you've done the heavy lifting of parsing the warnings and getting them into devices everything else can just come a little bit at a time.

To be honest I wonder how many people even use the old one. With the few comments I got in my other thread, perhaps not very many.

But any work you do to make an updated one would be greatly appreciated and I'll help as best I can!

Comment

I use it for the spoken events as well. I liked its simplicity but thought it still needed a couple explanations on what some of the settings were in the config page.

Comment

I just started a new thread where I'd like some feedback on the functions and features that are needed: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...100#post957100

I'd really appreciate you guys looking it over and giving me some feedback. That way we can stop posting here in Blade's BLWeather sub-forum (since BLWeather has nothing to do with this!).

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X