Alternate Weather Station?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate Weather Station?

I was playing with this a little bit today, wondering if it will be able to replace the aging WeatherPlug Plug-in. Generally I think it can. One of the features that WeatherPlug advertised but never really got working was the ability to define an alternate weather station that would get used when the primary station was offline or otherwise not reporting. The defining part worked fine, but not the rest.

Is it, or could it be possible to have the plug-in do this?

It was a feature that I looked forward to, so as to make my weather pages more reliable. All stations at one time or another are down for one reason or another, especially true during severe weather. This feature would mean that if a station was down I'd still be populating my devices and having at least the next closest station reporting.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

FYI, with xapmcsAWS it provides individual weather station reports as well as the preferrred report where the preferrred is based upon priority order of those selected should any in the priority order fail to be online. This same approach is used within mcsSprinklers as well for both AWS/Weatherbug or WeatherUnderground.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      FYI, with xapmcsAWS it provides individual weather station reports as well as the preferrred report where the preferrred is based upon priority order of those selected should any in the priority order fail to be online. This same approach is used within mcsSprinklers as well for both AWS/Weatherbug or WeatherUnderground.
      I didn't know that. I guess I've shied away from anything that said xap, since last years disaster trying to get xap going. Maybe it's time to jump back in and see if I've gotten any smarter in a year.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

There are several different ways I can implement your request. Do any of the following options work for you?
        1. If the data obtain from station 1 is unavailable or invalid, go though each of the other stations in order [2-5] until a station returns valid data and use that data to populate the data for the station.
        2. Add a new option to specify a backup station for each station [1-5]. If the data obtain from a station is unavailable or invalid, query the backup station to populate the data for the primary station.

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
          There are several different ways I can implement your request. Do any of the following options work for you?
          1. If the data obtain from station 1 is unavailable or invalid, go though each of the other stations in order [2-5] until a station returns valid data and use that data to populate the data for the station.
          2. Add a new option to specify a backup station for each station [1-5]. If the data obtain from a station is unavailable or invalid, query the backup station to populate the data for the primary station.

Regards,
          Ultrajones
          Either of those two options would work. Option 1 gives more backups for the primary, option 2 gives more areas with a backup.

I think my preference would be option 2 if that's not too much trouble.
          Marty
          ------

Comment

As long as I was in this area anyway I was wondering if there has been any movement on the backup stations?
            Marty
            ------

Comment

bump
              Marty
              ------

Comment

This feature request is on my list. I hope to get to this very soon.

Regards,
                Ultrajones
                Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

excellant news, no rush as long as I now know it has a place in line.
                  Marty
                  ------

Comment

My station 1 is down today so I'm not getting any data. They tell me it will be down for a week or two waiting for parts.

This of course got me to wondering how the alternate/backup station update to the plug-in is going, or have you gotten distracted?
                    Marty
                    ------

Comment

Yes, very distracted. I have too many projects going on. I just finished a much needed re-wire of my home 1-wire network using 2 Embedded Data Systems 1-Wire Junction Boxes. I'll be releasing 2 new plugins (Ultra1Wire2 and UltraECM), then I'll be able to add this feature request.

Regards,
                      Ultrajones

Comment

Fair enough! BTW what's a 1-Wire Junction Box? I can't say i ever heard of it.
                        Marty
                        ------

Comment

The EDS JB6 1-wire junction box provides six 1-wire branches, each with individual impedance matching components. Since adding this device to my 1-wire star network, I can now see all the connected devices 100% of the time.

http://www.embeddeddatasystems.com/J...-Box_p_24.html

Regards,
                          Ultrajones

Comment

Interesting, I have a HB 6 channel master hub here that I've never gotten to work correctly and have since gone to the Temp08 which does great. I have to admit the star configuration was a lot easier to wire and add to. This seems almost like the HB Hub if I'm reading it correctly. It looks interesting enough to dig a little further, thanks.
                            Marty
                            ------

Comment

I was wondering how the distractions are doing and if things have calmed down enough for you to think about the alternate/backup station we talked about at the beginning of this thread?
                              Marty
                              ------

Comment

Working...
                              X