WeatherBug Pulse API - FINAL NOTICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure how I missed this, but the WeatherBug Pulse API is being shutdown on March 31. They had sent me an e-mail a few months ago stating the shutdown was on hold, but I guess they resumed the shutdown.

I had been exchanging e-mails with my WeatherBug contact a few months ago and he stated they would be offering plans for individuals, but I am not seeing that on their site. The paid plans then start at $20 a month for BASIC and $150 a month for PLUS which includes 150,000 queries per month. In order to break even, I would need enough subscribers willing to pay a yearly fee to use the WeatherBug service.

Anyone willing to pay a yearly subscription for the WeatherBug service?

The UltraWeatherBug plug-in won't work when WeatherBug turns off the legacy feed. I need to make a decision within 7 days so I have enough time to recode and re-release the plug-in.

Comments please.

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Last edited by Ultrajones; March 19, 2014, 07:37 PM.
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
    I am not sure how I missed this, but the WeatherBug Pulse API is being shutdown on March 31. They had sent me an e-mail a few months ago stating the shutdown was on hold, but I guess they resumed the shutdown.

I had been exchanging e-mails with my WeatherBug contact a few months ago and he stated they would be offering plans for individuals, but I am not seeing that on their site. The paid plans then start at $20 a month for BASIC and $150 a month for PLUS which includes 150,000 queries per month. In order to break even, I would need enough subscribers willing to pay a yearly fee to use the WeatherBug service.

Anyone willing to pay a yearly subscription for the WeatherBug service?

The UltraWeatherBug plug-in won't work when WeatherBug turns off the legacy feed. I need to make a decision within 7 days so I have enough time to recode and re-release the plug-in.

Comments please.

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Since I just purchased UltraWeatherbug last month, I would like to keep using it. That said, I wouldn't be willing to purchase an annual plan at the prices above. At 21 queries per hour, there wouldn't be a problem with 5-10 minute updates, which would be frequent enough for my use. Is there not a way we can continue to use UltraWeatherbug on the free plan?

If you need subscribers, I would be interested if the cost was reasonable, but I am unclear as to what the costs would be at your end. If the cost is $240 per year and you had 10 subscribers at $25 per year, then I would be willing. Since I am not clear on what your costs would be and I don't know how many people have purchased your plug-in, maybe you could set a goal of x subscribers at $x per month and see if we can reach that goal.
    Last edited by Ultrajones; March 19, 2014, 07:37 PM.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I just downloaded all the documenation and it looks like I can use the BASIC plan (which closely matches the current API). I won't have a list of all the differences until I start the conversion this weekend. So, if folks are willing to have just 3 day forcast (instead of 7), then that may work.

Regards,
      Ultrajones
      Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I can live with a 3 day forecast, what I cannot live without is the weather alerts will that be included?
        Hector
        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
          I can live with a 3 day forecast, what I cannot live without is the weather alerts will that be included?
          Yes.

Comment

Well, a little more number crunching and it looks like I need the $200 - $300 a month plan in order to offer more than 1 query per hour to the service.

So, if I had 200 plug-in users, the yearly subscription cost could be as low as $12 - $18.

Regards,
            Ultrajones

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
              Well, a little more number crunching and it looks like I need the $200 - $300 a month plan in order to offer more than 1 query per hour to the service.

So, if I had 200 plug-in users, the yearly subscription cost could be as low as $12 - $18.

Regards,
              Ultrajones
              I'm in at $20, now all you need is 199 more I'm not sure 1 an hour would be frequent enough, but it would be better than nothing. Since I use mine to trigger irrigation events, and temperature dependent events I need some sort of solution.

In the event you are no longer able to support UltraWeatherbug - do you have any other ideas?

Comment

I'm in too. I just bough UltraWeatherbug for HS2 a few days ago so will you be updating the HS2 plugin as well?

Comment

I'm not in. Can you switch to a different weather service? Wunderground?

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                  Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                  Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

I would also support a change to Wunderground. Their free API key allows for 500 calls per day - more than enough for me.

http://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/d/pricing.html

Comment

Got a question about yearly updates. If we subscribe for yearly updates, would we pay you directly or through the homeseer store. If it's through the store, would the price still be 12-18 dollars?

Comment

I too just purchased this last month. Not good news as this is an excellent plug-in.

With that said, I would be in for $20 or less per year. Also wouldn't mind switching to weather underground.
                        Bryan
                        Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
                        Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

I am using the plugin in HS2 and HS3 as well... I would be in for $20.

Comment

I just received confirmation from WeatherBug that each user can sign up for their own free PRO API key that includes 15,000 queries per month. I also have an extra month to make the plug-in conversion. At this point, it seems this crisis has been averted.

Regards,
                            Ultrajones

Comment

Great news. Are you going to update both versions? It's gonna be some time before I make the plunge to hs3...

Comment

Working...
                              X