Lightning devices not updating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightning devices not updating

This past weekend I had many lightning strikes being reported by the weatherFlow app on my cell phone. However devices "Lightning Distance" and "Lightning Strikes" in the plugin never got updated, and "Lightning Strike" would occasionally be updated. All other weather devices were being updated.

I did all the basics.... stop and start the plugin, and then a HS3 reset....but no change.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on?

I just looked at this and found a bug where the count/distance values were swapped for the Tempest stations.

Both the strikes and distance are only the number of strikes and average distance of those strikes for the past minute. The hub doesn't provide any accumulated data. This is different from what the App displays which is accumulated number of strikes over some period of time.

It's also possible that there are other bugs in the handling of lightning data as it's not something I've really been able to test as I get lightning only rarely.
    --
    Bob Paauwe
    ISYInsteon Plug-in
    http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

I do have a Tempest, so sounds like there will be an update for the plugin for strikes and distance being swapped.

But even if they were swapped, and the values are averaged over a minute, I would think I would still see some data change. I had 15 strikes reported on the app over 3 hours, and none reported in the plugin.

I am expecting more lightning activity later this week. Is there some testing you would like me to do?

Rick

Comment

The update is now available in the updater. However. I just learned that the reported strikes can be very different between what gets sent in the UDP packets and what the WeatherFlow app reports. WeatherFlow uses other data sources to both filter false lightning events and to add missed lightning events. See https://help.weatherflow.com/hc/en-u...s/360046877513

This means that what's reported by the plug-in will likely never match what's reported by the app.
        --
        Bob Paauwe
        ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

I updated to the version 3.0.0.28. ......... and I just had some lightning activity.

The good news is the devices are being updated!

The bad news is, as you indicated above, it doesn't match the app. I get significantly more "lightning strikes" reported by the app, compared to the plug-in. I read the link you provided, and understand why.

Thanks for making the update.

Rick

Comment

Apparently there is also a bug in the tempest/hub where it isn't reporting all of the lightning events detected. I saw something about a new firmware version will fix that.
            --
            Bob Paauwe
            ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

OK, that sounds hopeful that a fix will be coming.

Thanks

Rick

Comment

I submitted a ticket with WeatherFlow concerning the lightning problem. Below is their response. They acknowledge a bug on their side, but also raise a question concerning where the lightning data may be coming from for the plugin:

Weatherflow's response:

Thanks for writing in. This issue you are experiencing is probably a combination of two things. First, there is a bug we are fixing in a device firmware update. You might not be getting any UDP reports of lightning strikes from the raw sensor readings.

The second thing has to do with UDP data versus data from our API. Lightning strikes are reported from our REST API, which is the preferred method to download data.

There's some helpful info in this forum topic in the developer section: https://community.weatherflow.com/t/...empest/6262/24

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
                WeatherFlow Support

Hope this helps get us closer to get lightning data from the plugin.

Rick

Comment

bpwwer;

Weatherflow has released new FW to address the Lightning strike issue.
                  https://community.weatherflow.com/t/...ware-v134/8241

That takes care of WeatherFlow's issue.

For the plugin, how is the data retrieved? Per weatherFlow:
                  "The second thing has to do with UDP data versus data from our API. Lightning strikes are reported from our REST API, which is the preferred method to download data."

Does the plugin use REST?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rmasci64 View Post
                    bpwwer;
                    For the plugin, how is the data retrieved? Per weatherFlow:
                    "The second thing has to do with UDP data versus data from our API. Lightning strikes are reported from our REST API, which is the preferred method to download data."

Does the plugin use REST?

Rick
                    The plug-in does not use REST. The plug-in was designed to work without requiring an Internet connection. It gets the data directly from the hub over UDP, the same data that is sent to WeatherFlow.

It does have an option to get data from the WeatherFlow servers by checking the remote box. This was added to allow collection of data from a remote system I.E. say a vacation home. This is using WeatherFlow's websocket interface.
                    --
                    Bob Paauwe
                    ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

OK, I understand how, and why the plugin is designed the way it is.

But what I don't understand is why I don't get any notifications from the plugin that there are lightning strikes, when I get many strikes reported through the iOS app? Do I need to switch to the WeatherFlow Servers to get the same information (i.e. lightning strikes) that comes on the app??

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rmasci64 View Post
                        But what I don't understand is why I don't get any notifications from the plugin that there are lightning strikes, when I get many strikes reported through the iOS app? Do I need to switch to the WeatherFlow Servers to get the same information (i.e. lightning strikes) that comes on the app??

Rick
                        Because the app is aggregating data from many sources, not just your weather station. The plug is only getting data from your weather station.

WeatherFlow is creating both weather station hardware and a weather service. The app is providing a mix of both data from your hardware and data from their service. The plug-in is designed to work with the hardware only.

The initial product from WeatherFlow was personal weather station hardware along with an app to display that data. At that time, both the plug-in and the app matched. But over time, they've been adding more and more "cloud" service capabilities to try to improve the local data and provided expanded capabilities to the point where it no longer makes sense to compare the local data with the app data.

I wrote the plug-in because I wanted accurate local data without having a dependency on cloud services.

At some point I may want to write a plug-in that gets WeatherFlow curated data, but that's probably a different plug-in.

--
                        Bob Paauwe
                        ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Thank you.....that explains a lot.

Now I understand why the difference in data between the app, and the plugin.

Rick

Comment

bpwwr;

I've been monitoring the lightning strike data in the Weather Station section of the app (not the Weather Service). There have been several strikes (28 just today) reported by the Weather Station hardware, but nothing reported in the plugin's Lightning Strike device. When checking the device history, the Lightning Strike device hasn't changed since June 28.

Any thoughts as to why the plugin isn't reporting the stokes from the actual hardware only?

Rick

Comment

The app does not limit it's data to only what the hardware reports. It's the same data, just different views. If the plug-in isn't reporting any strikes, then most likely, your hardware has not detected any.
                              --
                              Bob Paauwe
                              ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Working...
                              X