Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Icons Don't Match Forecasts

Uploading screenshot from HSTouch

I'm using noaa and if I turn on debug I can see in the log when this plugin downloads the icon
    HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
    Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
    Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Can you tell me how to turn on debug mode? I don't see it. Also, I did not get an API key for NOAA. I just had to choose the right XML file.

In addition to some missing/inaccurate icons, I am getting a blank for today's High temp and today's forecast. The next 4 days work fine except the icons don't always match the conditions.

Thanks

Comment

Go to the weatherXML settings page. There is a dropdown to set the logging level.
        NOAA does not require an API key. You are correct that you just have to enter the correct location. It will be a 4 letter code. The one I use is KLWC.
        But this is just for the Current Conditions. For the forecast you have to enter you Latitude and Longitude.

NOAA does have one kinda weird thing. They do provide a 5 day forecast but around 4PM or 5 PM, the today forecast goes away and you get a morning forecast for a day later.
        Ex. Monday morning you would have:
        Monday AM/PM, Tues AM/PM, Wed AM/PM, Thu AM/PM, Fri AM/PM.

Monday afternoon you lose the Monday morning forecast and you get.
        Monday PM, Tues AM/PM, Wed AM/PM, Thu AM/PM, Fri AM/PM, Sat AM.

If the other 4 days are working then I would expect that the today is as well. You can check the xml file to make sure or set the logging level to debug to see if there are any errors.
        As for the icons, there is a URL for the icons. weatherXML gets the URL and downloads the icons to the HS3/html/images/weatherXML/conditions/ directory.
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

If the icons you having trouble with are NOAA icons? Then that is not an easy fix.

First, they changed some of the names and also changed the location where the new ones are stored. I downloaded the new ones so I had them.

Second, they changed icons and have some that are not static but designed to be built by PHP. If it's a single forecast like partly cloudy then you will get an icon, however when it's a mixed forecast like clear them freezing rain. You actually get instructions for PHP to combine and add numbers. These don't work.

See this. https://www.weather.gov/forecast-icons

HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
          Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML

Comment

Since there are so many icons and not all of the data providers have a list, I wrote the plugin to download them as they appear in the xml files.
            The images, includeing the combo images, will download as they are needed. As they download you will see combo images with a name like: i=bkn&j=scttsra&jp=30.png
            That allows me to keep track of what has been downloaded and stored on the HS server.
            --
            Jeff Farmer
            HS 3, HSPhone
            Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Whenever I get something like this it never works.

Code:
              /images/weatherXML/condition/i=nsn&j=nfzra_sn&ip=0&jp=0.png

Comment

when open forecast these errors show up. Could this be related to my Data array error?
                Feb-02 12:36:59 PM Warning File does not exist: /usr/local/HomeSeer/html/images/weatherXML/condition/i=nsn&j=nbkn&ip=0.png
                Feb-02 12:36:59 PM Warning File does not exist: /usr/local/HomeSeer/html/images/weatherXML/condition/i=nra_fzra&j=nsn&ip=0&jp=0.png
                Feb-02 12:36:59 PM Warning File does not exist: /usr/local/HomeSeer/html/images/weatherXML/condition/i=nsn&j=nfzra_sn&ip=0&jp=0.png
                Feb-02 12:36:59 PM Warning File does not exist: /usr/local/HomeSeer/html/images/weatherXML/condition/nra50.png
                Click image for larger version

Name:	forecast_image_error.png
Views:	146
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1281723

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_76288.png
Views:	208
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	1281731 I have Debug enabled, but don't know where the debug logs are stored. Sorry for the newbie questions, but I just bought HS3 Pro this week and am converting from Vera Plus, so this is all new to me. It looks like weatherXML downloads icons from NOAA for day 0 and day 1. Days 3-5 don't have one downloaded, so they default to the smiley sunny face. If there is a better source than NOAA, I can certainly try that. It looks like Weather Underground has discontinued their API service, so I guess they are no longer an option.

Thanks.

NOAA Location KCHA
                  Last edited by cmdrcrank; February 2, 2019, 01:51 PM. Reason: adding image

Comment

When you turn on Debug it puts them in the regular HS3 log

Comment

I setup a second location to test NOAA. It would appear that something has changed in HS since I originally wrote the NOAA change for the new images.
                      I'll do some testing and see what I can come up with.
                      --
                      Jeff Farmer
                      HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

cmdrcrank, the good news is you are setup correctly. It is an issue with the plugin. Trying to set the image to use one of the dual condition icons was not working in the devices. The ampersand and the equal sign are reserved characters in urls. So I am going to change the ampersand to an underscore and the equal to a dash. That way I can still know which images are already downloaded and not download them again. And it will allow the device to have it set with the proper image. I hope to have it fixed and tested tomorrow.
                        --
                        Jeff Farmer
                        HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Finally figured it out and have it working now. The dual image icons are downloading correctly and the devices are displaying them.
                          Will test it some more tomorrow and get it to the updater.

--
                          Jeff Farmer
                          HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Jeff, When I first started prototyping this HSTouch Screen, Day 0 was the current day and Day 1 was the next day and so on. Now, the tags for the days say this afternoon for day 0, which is to be expected, but day 1 is Sun, day 2 is Mon, etc. Today is Tuesday... Am I doing something wrong or is there a glitch? Thanks.

Comment

You are correct the Day 0 is today. And Day 1 to Day N is the following days. If you are not getting that in the weatherXML devices, then check your log for errors.
                              --
                              Jeff Farmer
                              HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Working...
                              X