Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

switching from weather underground to NOAA

Hi Jeff

I know there is a lot going on right now with weather underground stopping the API, and your switching to WorldWeather and Darksky.

I have been using your plugin and weather underground until 2 days ago when the weather underground finally shut down the APIs. I know there are a number of data pieces that only came from the WU, but in the plugin set up it lists NOAA as being able to get the forecast data.

I turned off the WU and switched to NOAA, with data coming in for current conditions, but the forecast devices have stayed stuck on the WU data which was downloaded on March 5.

I can't figure out how to update things so that the devices will show data from NOAA. Any quick pointer would be appreciated.

Bruce

NOAA is a bit different. For the conditions you have to find their station that is the closest to you. For forecast you have to enter your lat and long. If you notice that some of the devices are updating and others aren't it's most likely because the ones not updating aren't available from NOAA. The one exception is the Probability percentage for rain. That is provided by NOAA but there is a bug in wxml that is not loading the percent. I have it fixed and it will be in the version I hope to post this weekend that has DarkSky added as well.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

I don't know if it would help, but here are a couple of snippets from the XML files in Homeseer/DATA/Weatherxml folder

From the NOForecast1.xml

margin-top:0;"></form></td></tr></table></div><div id="mainnav800"><table border="0" align="center"><tr><td><br><br><span class="big">A point forecast is unavailable for the requested location</span><br><br><form><input type="button" value="Back to Previous Page" onClick="history.back()"></form><br /><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br></td></tr></table><div id="footer800">

From the NOCondition1.xml

<current_observation version="1.0"
      xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
      xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
      xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://www.weather.gov/view/current_observation.xsd">
      <credit>NOAA's National Weather Service</credit>
      <credit_URL>http://weather.gov/</credit_URL>
      <image>
      <url>http://weather.gov/images/xml_logo.gif</url>
      <title>NOAA's National Weather Service</title>
      <link>http://weather.gov</link>
      </image>
      <suggested_pickup>15 minutes after the hour</suggested_pickup>
      <suggested_pickup_period>60</suggested_pickup_period>
      <location>Grand Junction Regional Airport, CO</location>
      <station_id>KGJT</station_id>
      <latitude>39.13389</latitude>
      <longitude>-108.53861</longitude>
      <observation_time>Last Updated on Mar 7 2019, 4:53 pm MST</observation_time>

The conditions load up fine as I mentioned

Bruce

Comment

Here are a couple of screen shots of my set up. I think I have it setup right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-03-07 Screenshot.png
Views:	280
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1290765

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-03-08 Screenshot.png
Views:	284
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1290766
        Any thoughts

Bruce

Comment

I think that a Longitude of -108368 is missing a decimal.
          --
          Jeff Farmer
          HS 3, HSPhone
          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Jeff

Well, thank you very much. I hadn't noticed that, and that did it.
            I am a little red faced for such a small thing causing the problem

Bruce

Comment

Thanks, Bruce... for wasting Jeff's time on a dingaling typo that even someone who has never heard of HomeSeer could figure out. Now you've delayed Jeff's rollout of his excellent PI with Dark Sky support by about 10 minutes to the detriment of those of us who are waiting for his modifications because we have realized that WWO is worthless wrt current temps/conditions and NOAA is worthless for forecasts.

Comment

sickpuppy - Hopefully said with tongue firmly in cheek...

Regards to all,
                BBB

Comment

I've finished testing but haven't gotten to the documentation yet. I plan on getting up early tomorrow morning and getting the docs far enough along for testers. The file will be downloadable from my domain sometime tomorrow. Why not tonight? Because I an headed out to see Captain Marvel and won't be available for questions.
                  --
                  Jeff Farmer
                  HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Enjoy the movie. I need something new to play with. Looking forward to testing DarkSky. thanks for all the effort you put into this.
                    HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
                    Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
                    Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBadBuzz View Post
                      sickpuppy - Hopefully said with tongue firmly in cheek...
                      Ummm... yes.. well... ummm.. uh huh, of course!

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
                      Because I an headed out to see Captain Marvel and won't be available for questions.
                      You do realize that writing documentation for a PI is more exciting than sitting through Captain Marvel could ever be? Go see Alita, again, tonight, instead. I heard that one wouldn't need to see CM to understand IW Part 2. Anyway, thank you for the work on the PI - I wouldn't be so eager for it if it were not for the fact that other alternative weather sources fall far short of WU - I'm hopeful Dark Sky will be close.

Comment

All,

I apologize for wasting everybody's time, especially Jeff's. I really like his plugin and am almost dependent on it.
                        My thinking is that I would llke to get as much information from a source that probably won't go away or start charging alot for the data - like WU. I was not happy about having to redo all my setup either. But what happens when darksky decides to go the way of WU or WWO. That "typo" had been there for a long time, but never caused a problem because I was using WU, so when I was switching it was not something I even noticed. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes to see the obvious.

Thank you Jeff for all the hard work you put in, and being responsive to even the dumbest questions.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
                          I've finished testing but haven't gotten to the documentation yet. I plan on getting up early tomorrow morning and getting the docs far enough along for testers. The file will be downloadable from my domain sometime tomorrow. Why not tonight? Because I an headed out to see Captain Marvel and won't be available for questions.
                          Don

Comment

Check out https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/we...es-for-darksky
                            --
                            Jeff Farmer
                            HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Working...
                            X