Weather Underground Alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Underground Alternative?

The shutdown of their API finally caught up with me. No more weather on my HS3 Touch Display !

I would pay for Weather Underground if they had a reasonable single user plan. Has anyone determined whether they have that?

Is there a decent alternative to Weather Underground? Even if I have to pay a monthly fee. Any suggestions?

Jeff is planning to release a beta with Dark Sky this weekend. He mentions this in some other threads on this board. Dark Sky is a highly localized awesome service, so I for one am looking to try it.

Comment

I sm using my own script for fetching the weather conditions and forecast, rather than using a plugin. In my area (Southern California), I find that DarkSky has the better current conditions, but the NWS has a much better and accurate forecast. So I use both. And both are free.

DarkSky has a limit on the number of requests per month, but it is large enough. I only fetch the current conditions once per hour (or if I press a button), and only when someone is home. You do need a DarkSky key.

Comment

Check out https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/we...es-for-darksky
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Sounds great. I wish Weather Underground had implemented a reasonable fee. I would have subscribed.

Comment

That's what happens when IBM gets a hold of things. Now IBM is just about providing IT services, analytics, security, and licensing technology... you know, the stuff that any number of other companies are also doing (except for trying to corner the corporate Linux market). IBM hasn't been an innovator for 20 years. Anyway, I thought the whole strength of WU was from the use of PWS - the new restrictions on existing PWS owners is ridiculous and I imagine folks will pull out, which will provide no incentive for people joining WU, especially with the astronomical pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by sickpuppy View Post
              That's what happens when IBM gets a hold of things. Now IBM is just about providing IT services, analytics, security, and licensing technology... you know, the stuff that any number of other companies are also doing (except for trying to corner the corporate Linux market). IBM hasn't been an innovator for 20 years. Anyway, I thought the whole strength of WU was from the use of PWS - the new restrictions on existing PWS owners is ridiculous and I imagine folks will pull out, which will provide no incentive for people joining WU, especially with the astronomical pricing.
              I agree with you very much on this. I am just surprised this didn't happen a few years ago, when WU got bought. When I first started using WU in weatherXML, there was staff members in the developer forum. They were very active. I remember when they got bought and talking about things were not going to change. Within a few months it got to where there was only one person answering questions and eventually he got to where weeks would go by with no participation.
              --
              Jeff Farmer
              HS 3, HSPhone
              My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
              Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Working...
              X