Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DarkSky Forecast has night instead of day

Jeff:

I've seen that people have run across this in trying the DarkSky beta, but those have seemed to be spurious. I have one of the 7 forecasts that has a NIGHT condition instead of a day, and I can't seem to get it to change to a day forecast. In the picture below, it is day 5 (Sunday):

Click image for larger version

Name:	OneForecastHasNight.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1293655

Any suggestions? I tried deleting the Speak text for Tonight and Tomorrow Night in the Custom tab, but it just comes back after I go away from that tab and come back to it.

BBB

The condition icons are in the json file. I have went through the file several different times when I get a night condition image and the icon matches what is in the file. I converted all of the time numbers and every forecast day is midnight of each day so there is no pattern that I can find on what days get a day icon and what day gets a night icon.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by BigBadBuzz View Post

Any suggestions? I tried deleting the Speak text for Tonight and Tomorrow Night in the Custom tab, but it just comes back after I go away from that tab and come back to it.

BBB
      After you delete the text for the Tonight and Tomorrow Night textareas, you have to scroll down and click save. HS never added an auto save for the text areas like the single line textbox has.

--
      Jeff Farmer
      HS 3, HSPhone
      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Jeff:

This is the "Custom" tab, yes? I guess I'm dense and/or going blind, as I don't see a save button. Can you send me a picture?

Paul

Comment

Sorry, you mentioned speaking so I thought you were talking about a speak device. The custom tab in admin is designed to allow users that speak different languages to replace the words in the column on the left with what they type into the textboxes on the right. They will not go away. But if you don't want them to be different then just leave them the same in both columns. I'm not following what you were trying to do on that page. If you were trying to replace the night icons to display day icons I would suggest taking the icon you use for the day and making a copy that has the night name as well. I don't see any way to control what gets put into the data from DarkSky as far as day vs night icons.
          --
          Jeff Farmer
          HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Jeff:

This what I was trying to follow - guess I didn't interpret correctly...

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/we...14#post1291814

BBB

Comment

Originally posted by BigBadBuzz View Post
              Jeff:

This what I was trying to follow - guess I didn't interpret correctly...

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/we...14#post1291814

BBB

That was to answer the user who had posted an image of the speak devices.
              --
              Jeff Farmer
              HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Jeff:

So the take-away from this is:

I don't see any way to control what gets put into the data from DarkSky as far as day vs night icons.
                So if we get some scattered night forecasts, that is just the way DarkSky works...

Paul

Comment

This is from the DarkSky FAQ on the icons. I read this to mean if they have night forecast it's "worst" condition of that day.

In the meantime, you can assume that if partly-cloudy-night is the worst weather condition that was found, that it was clear during the day. So you can just treat partly-cloudy-night as an alias for clear-day.
                  HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
                  Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
                  Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

drp:

I appreciate you digging that out of the FAQ. If I understand the info, seems you can’t just copy the clear-day icon to use as the partly-cloudy-night icon because if current conditions at night are partly cloudy, then your condition icon would be a sun!

BBB

Comment

They also state they will change it and add more in the future or something to that effect. So I just picked icons from NOAA that matched the names they listed and don't worry about it. Here are the icons I use.

Name:	icons.png
Views:	138
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	1294011
                      HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
                      Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
                      Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

I'm open to ideas on how this should work. Personally, I'm ok with the night icons.

On the subject of forecast icons.... One of the legacy devices uses html code to build a multi day forecast. It has never worked in HSTouch due to the html code. I now have it working so it creates an image that can be used in HSTouch, and web pages, etc.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	154
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	1294016
                        --
                        Jeff Farmer
                        HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
                          I'm open to ideas on how this should work. Personally, I'm ok with the night icons.

On the subject of forecast icons.... One of the legacy devices uses html code to build a multi day forecast. It has never worked in HSTouch due to the html code. I now have it working so it creates an image that can be used in HSTouch, and web pages, etc.

Views:	154
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	1294016
                          I like those. Nice.
                          Don

Comment

The created image will use whatever icons you have setup to use for each location. I have a location setup to use the Norway.YR site. Below is the vertical version of the image using icons from Norway.YR.

Views:	131
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1294026
                            --
                            Jeff Farmer
                            HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

I would drop the HTML code/table aspect for HSTouch and just focus on the devices... let the users get their own graphics (BTW, the NOAA ones are terrible from a graphical consistency standpoint ), rename name, and place each variable wherever they want in their HSTouch project.

Comment

Working...
                              X