New WU API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New WU API

Sorry haven't been paying attention here.
    Is the plugin supporting the new WU API that went into effect yesterday?

Thanks,
    Z

Not at this time. Since it is only for users with weather stations that report to WU, I was concentrating on an alternative that was available for everyone's use.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
      Not at this time. Since it is only for users with weather stations that report to WU, I was concentrating on an alternative that was available for everyone's use.
      Understood.
      Thanks for the feedback.

Z

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Jeff. Any ETA on WU capabilities for PWS owners? Started getting this error this morning at 10:30:
        weatherXML Error Weather Underground returned an error trying to download the xml data. Import cancelled. Error: keynotfound this key does not exist
        Thanks
        Al
        HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I don't have an ETA at this point.
          --
          Jeff Farmer
          HS 3, HSPhone
          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

I don't have an ETA at this point.
            New API doesn't have a lot of the old API features so it might be some work to replace it. Don't see alerts, hourly, tides or radar anymore and PWS owners only get 5 day forecasts.

New API
            https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...qpE_gArAY/edit

Z

Comment

Note that the term of service are similar to what was imposed by Weather.com. If you download their data then you need to include their approved logo wherever the data is displayed. In mcsSprinklers I included the logo on the status page. The gotcha is that when when the data is put into HS devices then the context is lost and likely the only compliant way to use it is to include in DeviceString so that HS will include the logo on its rendering of the data.

Comment

I don't consider the Device Management page a display page. It is for management. What I did was add a device for Data Provider and make sure that is included on any HSTouch page and also it is on the weatherXML user pages. Whichever provider you select is which logo shows. NOAA does not require a logo and didn't provide one to display when I asked them for one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	237
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1295148

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	238
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	1295149
                --
                Jeff Farmer
                HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Hate to be that guy, but... it's just an honesty-based system because the icon is pulled locally and not from Dark Sky's with the weather data. I don't need everyone in my family to be constantly reminded that the data is coming from Dark Sky. If the system were to ever change where they track whether or not the the icon image is pulled from their server at the time of the weather data being downloaded, then I would just make it a 1x1 icon on HSTouch.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

Thanks for the feedback Jeff. Any ETA on WU capabilities for PWS owners? Started getting this error this morning at 10:30:
                    weatherXML Error Weather Underground returned an error trying to download the xml data. Import cancelled. Error: keynotfound this key does not exist
                    Thanks
                    Al
                    Hey Guys,
                    so im getting the same error, and my HSTOUCH screens stopped updating..
                    I did just make the change to the API for the default weather to work in the default weather HSTOUCH screen...
                    did that break this??
                    please let me know how to fix it? I have two screens that use the weather Underground weather..
                    thanks
                    fred

Comment

The new API that you got from WU does not keep the old system working. It is all new. Different URLS, different file format, different file structure. The HSTouch screens are not using WU either. I believe they are using APIXU. Currently, with weatherXML, you have a choice of DarkSky, NOAA, Norway.YR, and a cumulus software created file getting data from a supported weather station.
                      --
                      Jeff Farmer
                      HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

At the risk of opening a can of worms... another project I'm involved in was discussing weather sources and I referred to Dark Sky as it seems to be working well here. And... I was directed to the ToS (https://darksky.net/dev/docs/terms) that mentions not having end-users signing up for their own API account. In my mind, I can see a non-paid product (WeatherXML) and all of us user/contributors as exceptions to this, but... just wondering what thoughts anyone has? I'd like to be convinced that this is good and thus convince the other developers on the other project... LOL

Comment

The new API that you got from WU does not keep the old system working. It is all new. Different URLS, different file format, different file structure. The HSTouch screens are not using WU either. I believe they are using APIXU. Currently, with weatherXML, you have a choice of DarkSky, NOAA, Norway.YR, and a cumulus software created file getting data from a supported weather station.
                          Oh well that sucks ;(
                          well wait a minute, I really don't care about the default weather in hstouch screens,
                          I care more about the WU data I was putting into my Custom screens
                          if I remove the API will it allow the WU to work again and download the weather data again?
                          Also is there plans to fix this in the weatherxml plug in?
                          or is it being disbanded?

Comment

The old WU API is no more. It has been shut off and no longer works for anyone. The new API you were given if you have a weather station providing data to them uses their Parent companies API. A lot of the data that I was using in weatherXML is no longer available even in the new API. No more hourly forecast, no Animated Radar image, and no Historical Almanac data. The new WU API will only give you current conditions from your weather station and a 5 day forecast. I am currently working on adding the new WU API as an option, there just won't be as much available as before.
                            --
                            Jeff Farmer
                            HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Jeff,
                              I upload to Weather Underground and have for years so where does one get this API key?
                              -Rupp
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X