Alternative for Personal Weather Stations Current Condition Reporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative for Personal Weather Stations Current Condition Reporting

Since WU API issues have been problematic and I know there are new location services becoming available in the plugin I'm wondering if there's something that would work for my setup:

The one thing that I'm trying to replicate is using my personal weather station for the current conditions in weatherXML. I have an AcuRite that reports to the proprietary website, WU and PWS Weather (via WeeWX and a Raspberry Pi). PWS Weather is provided through Aeris Weather and as my station is part of their network, they gave me an API subscription for free.

The bigger question: I know there's a lot of discussion about alternate sources, but for folks with PWSs, is there a way outside of WU to get my PWS conditions into HS3?

Follow-up: Is it doable to get Aeris as one of the location providers? https://www.aerisweather.com/support/docs/api/

Thanks again for all of your efforts!
    Thom K.

Originally posted by thomk View Post
    Since WU API issues have been problematic and I know there are new location services becoming available in the plugin I'm wondering if there's something that would work for my setup:

The one thing that I'm trying to replicate is using my personal weather station for the current conditions in weatherXML. I have an AcuRite that reports to the proprietary website, WU and PWS Weather (via WeeWX and a Raspberry Pi). PWS Weather is provided through Aeris Weather and as my station is part of their network, they gave me an API subscription for free.

The bigger question: I know there's a lot of discussion about alternate sources, but for folks with PWSs, is there a way outside of WU to get my PWS conditions into HS3?

Follow-up: Is it doable to get Aeris as one of the location providers? https://www.aerisweather.com/support/docs/api/

Thom K.
    If it's not added to WeatherXML soon I have plans on a plugin to integrate Ambient Weather PWS + PWS Weather (Aeris) and I've been talking with Aeris about this as well. So if someone else doesn't add the functionality it is on my radar.

Comment

I've withdrawn my PWS (Davis VP2) data from WU because of their behavior and now FTP via Cumulus to HS3 WeatherXML.

I dont believe Cumulus supports your station, but at this point I'm no longer interested in giving my data to external sources that then limit who can use it and remove some measurements. I'd be interested in any internal solution that gets me all the info my PWS can send.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

I utilize VPN here to access my home stuff (weather station et al). You can also post it to NOAA and then access your PWS info there. It is a tad primitive looking. It does work.

Here have moved on from using Cumulus and gone to WeeWx in Linux which allows for more connectivity to weather things (Davis plus aux sensors). There is no Homeseer plugin for WeeWx.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

I have one last issue I found with the forecast html devices. Will fix that today and post a .7 release. The next step for .8 will be to add an import for WU's new API, and DarkSky Hourly forecast info. I do have code already started for both. I have a small start on Ambient. As for Aeris, I am not opposed adding any provider. I have always tried to have multiple choices for where you choose to get your data. The 1 issue I see with Aeris, is the lowest plan that I could find was $30 per month. I would prefer not to spend $30 per month to be able to test Aeris while working on the code.
          I will get with you later this week to see if you can provide me some test file to import from.

Originally posted by thomk View Post

Thom K.
          --
          Jeff Farmer
          HS 3, HSPhone
          My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
            The next step for .8 will be to add an import for WU's new API, and DarkSky Hourly forecast info. I do have code already started for both. I have a small start on Ambient.
            Excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
              As for Aeris, I am not opposed adding any provider. I have always tried to have multiple choices for where you choose to get your data. The 1 issue I see with Aeris, is the lowest plan that I could find was $30 per month. I would prefer not to spend $30 per month to be able to test Aeris while working on the code.
              I will get with you later this week to see if you can provide me some test file to import from.
              Thanks again for your efforts!

I can't say that $30 a month is worth it for you and the plug-in.

For what's it's worth (and it probably ain't much): I reached out to AerisWeather to see if they can get you an API key/subscription. I would be very surprised if anything came of it but my interaction with them was very positive and I'm hoping that means something.

I'm trying to work with using the jon00 scripts so maybe AerisWeather isn't that high of a priority. I don't know for certain, but I'm hoping their policies are less oppressive than WU's.

Thank you again!
              Thom K.

Comment

Working...
              X