Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feels Like Temp and actual ambient temp seem to be reversed

Jeff,
    I am on HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.534 (Windows) and WeatherXML version 3.0.1.18. My NOAA station is KAAO.xml. Current conditions in Wichita, KS according to WeatherXML is temperature is 80 degree F with a Feels Like Temperature of 77 degrees F. The wind is "calm" with a Dew Point of 75 degrees F and Humidity of 94%. According to all other sources the ambient temperature is really around 77 degrees F and the Feels like Temperature is around 80 degrees. It seems llike the ambient temperature and the Feels Like Temperature might be reversed. I use the Feels Like Temperature to manage my thermostats since I live in Kansas and you know how Kansas can be.
    Thanks,
    Dale

Have you checked to see if the Temperature matches what is on the KAAO webpage?
    https://w1.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/KAAO.xml

As for the feels like, NOAA doesn't actually provide that value. I use a formula that I found online to calculate the feels like using the temperature, wind speed and humidity.
    I am not surprised if it doesn't match other sites.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Jeff,
      I just checked the website and it says the NOAA ambient temperature is 88 with a heat index of 91.
      WeatherXML says the ambient temperatureis 88 and the feels like temperature is 91.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	NOAA.PNG
Views:	59
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1315446
      Often times Weather XML says the feels like temperature (wind chill or heat index) is lower than the ambient temperature which I would expect in winter, but not in summer.

Comment

Above I mis-wrote that they don't provide feels like but the problem is that NOAA does not always put the Feels Like into the xml file. When that happens I can either leave it blank or use a formula that calculates the value based on Temp, Wind Speed and Humidity.
        There is code in place that looks for both Heat Index and Wind Chill. But if the value is not in the downloaded xml file, then I can't import it so I fall back on using the formula.
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

I'm seeing the same, NOAA doesn't always provide the Feels Like temp.
          I used to use WU data but don't have a station. WU seemed to be a good resource. I've used WeatherXML, but didn't use the data from NOAA for events until WU changed their policies.
          There are a lot of events that control our thermostats. I guess I could compare the WeatherXML ambient temperature to the Feels like and use the higher in summer and the lower in winter. Defining summer and winter may be my next challenge.

Comment

You could use DarkSky. They provide the Feels like on a consistent basis.
            --
            Jeff Farmer
            HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Working...
            X