Questions regarding Maps Rotation and stock XML templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my solution.

I retrieve the files using two homeseer events shown in the file below - one for daily updates and one for multiple refreshes during the day. I use imagemagick's mogrify to batch change and resize and convert from jpg to png files. - this is the static part. The -resize 900x makes the file 900 pixels wide and scales the vertical proportionately. -resize x900 would resize vertical pixels and scale horizontal proportionally. Both keep the aspect ratio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-12-22 20-23-47.png
Views:	84
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	1349069

I set up HSTouch with an image element and set the URLNormal property to the location of the file that I wanted it to read. http://192.168.1.135/opt/HomeSeer/ht...L/maps/map.png. This is the file I use as a working file to hold the current map to be displayed.

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-12-22 20-33-52.png
Views:	29
Size:	585.7 KB
ID:	1349070

I have the two scroll buttons do two things to traverse the images. I call an event and I simulate a release on the image element - this forces the update.

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-12-22 20-38-32.png
Views:	28
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	1349071

I have an increment and decrement event that do the same things only subtract instead of add. Below is the increment event. I created a counter to keep track of which picture is displayed.

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-12-22 20-42-19.png
Views:	27
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1349072

I wrote the following script to cycle through the pictures.

--------------------------------------------------- Start of .vb script
    '12/21/2019 ScrollPictures.vb
    'Script to scroll through static pictures and write file to unique filename.

IMPORTS System.IO
    IMPORTS System.Net
    IMPORTS System.Threading

Sub Main(ByVal Parm As String) 'There are 0 parameters

Dim sPath, sDisplayFile, Counter, Source, Destination As String
    Dim sFile(6) As String
    Dim dCounter As Double
    Dim iCnt, iMax, iIncCnt As Integer

iMax = 6 'Set the maximum number of maps
    Counter = "MapCounter" 'Created Counter

'set the files and pathname for maps
    sPath = "/opt/HomeSeer/html/images/weatherXML/maps/" 'The Path Name to the files
    sFile(0) = "USWeather.png"
    sFile(1) = "USStorms.png"
    sFile(2) = "USPressures.png"
    sFile(3) = "USPollen.png"
    sFile(4) = "USGrass.png"
    sFile(5) = "USTree.png"
    sFile(6) = "USRagweed.png"
    sDisplayFile = "map.png" ' this is the filename used as the working file.

dCounter = hs.CounterValue(Counter) 'Get the Map Counter Value
    iCnt = CInt(dCounter) ' Set the double to an integer

'Make the list a loop and set the Counter correctly

iIncCnt = 0
    If iCnt < 0 Then 'Went through the floor value so set to ceiling value.
    iCnt = iMax
    For iIncCnt = 1 To iMax
    hs.CounterIncrement(Counter)
    Next
    End If

If iCnt > iMax Then 'Went through the ceiling value so set to the floor value
    iCnt = 0
    hs.CounterReset(Counter)
    End If

Source = sPath & sFile(iCnt)
    Destination = sPath & sDisplayFile

'Overwrite or create the file that will be displayed.
    System.IO.File.Copy(Source, Destination, True)

End Sub

--------------------------------------- End of .vb script

I am still struggling to get .gif files to cycle through the pictures in the file. I had it working and now it is not. It works on windows but not android. I know this is complex and somewhat convoluted but I now have the ability to download any files or sequence and have them update reliably. I know I should change the parameter passing to object but events call scripts with a single string. Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Thx for the link AllhailJ.
      Just curious, how did you find the associated folder (https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/Loop) ? Is there any web interface pointing to it or is it just backend data found via trial/error?
      Just wondering if there is more detailed/regional data available. Thx

Comment

Searched for weather and radar. Looked at different sites and then extracted the URL from the picture. I looked at the Canada weather and there is a lot of information available. I looked at Calgary radar which appears to be a .gif but didn't download and see if it was complete.

I don't understand the html you posted in that I don't know what to name the file or why it works. Sorry ignorant about this file type.

-- EDIT --

Figured out how the HTML works - now I need to work out how to switch between maps and have it update.

Here is a site I think you might be interested in:

https://www.ready.noaa.gov/READY_animations.php The snow rain and ice 84 hour forecast is pretty neat. It is for most of North America.

-- EDIT 2 --

I found a way to have the animation gif reload. I modified the script for the .gif files and then on the scroll buttons I closed the screen and opened the screen.

Here is the screen shot of the increment function.

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-12-23 03-21-16.png
Views:	38
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	1349106 This is the same process as for static maps except I use the html 123QWEASD shared and instead of activating a release of the element you have to close and open the screen. I have not looked at how much bandwidth this is consuming but at least it is working and optimization if needed can happen at a later date.

Hope this helps someone!

Comment

Working...
        X