Darksky stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
    For those of you not relying on DarkSky, what are you using to get current and forecast weather into HS?
    Current weather I use ambient Weather plugin and my own 100.00 station. Use the illuminance sensor for day and night activities and all it works great. The problem was future forecasts. So I was using darksky. But ambient weather just added forecasts now I just need the HS plugin to be updated to include it.

Comment

The writing is on the wall for Dark Sky. At least we have quite a while before it stops working.

Comment

First we lose Weather Underground, and now it looks like DarkSky also. Such a shame they have "sold out" to the big companies which are ONLY in it for the profit. Not to mention what happened to NEST too.

Regardless, I finally came across this thread (been searching every now and then - guess my searches weren't very good). Just updated the config file, stopped and started WeatherXML, changed back from NOAA to DarkSky and all is well. Thanks all.

PS: WeatherXML is a great plug-in: seems very well thought out and written. I'd be GLAD to pay for this, even retroactively, if ever Jeff wants this.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post

Current weather I use ambient Weather plugin and my own 100.00 station. Use the illuminance sensor for day and night activities and all it works great. The problem was future forecasts. So I was using darksky. But ambient weather just added forecasts now I just need the HS plugin to be updated to include it.
          Have you seen any interest from the Ambient Weather plug-in developer to add forecasts? If so, I’ll buy the weather station and move over before darksky....goes dark!

I’m using weather to automate our HVAC system so having the forecast will be important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          HS3 3.0.0.548 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 996 Devices, 547 Events
          Plugin's:
          BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
          EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
          weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce26 View Post
            First we lose Weather Underground, and now it looks like DarkSky also. Such a shame they have "sold out" to the big companies which are ONLY in it for the profit. Not to mention what happened to NEST too.

Regardless, I finally came across this thread (been searching every now and then - guess my searches weren't very good). Just updated the config file, stopped and started WeatherXML, changed back from NOAA to DarkSky and all is well. Thanks all.

PS: WeatherXML is a great plug-in: seems very well thought out and written. I'd be GLAD to pay for this, even retroactively, if ever Jeff wants this.
            The Weather XML plugin is one of the best out there and Jeff has put a ton of work into it. I don’t think this is a financial decision for him, he is taking care of his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Plugin's:

Comment

Have you seen any interest from the Ambient Weather plug-in developer to add forecasts? If so, I’ll buy the weather station and move over before darksky....goes dark!
              Unfortunately I have NOT. "Sirmeili" has taken over that PI several months back but I haven't seen any updates on it. My question about adding forecasts has been unanwsered on the forum so far.

Comment

Originally posted by brantz View Post
                I had the same problem on Windows 2k8 R2 Server and solved it by adding the line to HSPI_WEATHERXML.exe.config file (as previously noted in post 39) and I also needed to do the following steps by editing the registry as follows:

How to enable TLS 1.2 on Windows Server 2008 R2:
                1. Start the registry editor by clicking on Start and Run. Type in "regedit" into the Run field (without quotations).
                2. Highlight Computer at the top of the registry tree. Backup the registry first by clicking on File and then on Export. Select a file location to save the registry file.
                3. Note: You will be editing the registry. This could have detrimental effects on your computer if done incorrectly, so it is strongly advised to make a backup.
                4. Browse to the following registry key:
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Security Providers\SCHANNEL\Protocols
                5. Right click on the Protocols folder and select New and then Key from the drop-down menu. This will create new folder. Rename this folder to TLS 1.2.
                6. Right click on the TLS 1.2 key and add two new keys underneath it.
                7. Rename the two new keys as:
                  • Client
                  • Server
                8. Right click on the Client key and select New and then DWORD (32-bit) Value from the drop-down list.
                9. Rename the DWORD to DisabledByDefault.
                10. Right-click the name DisabledByDefault and select Modify... from the drop-down menu.
                11. Ensure that the Value data field is set to 0 and the Base is Hexadecimal. Click on OK.
                12. Create another DWORD for the Client key as you did in Step 7.
                13. Rename this second DWORD to Enabled.
                14. Right-click the name Enabled and select Modify... from the drop-down menu.
                15. Ensure that the Value data field is set to 1 and the Base is Hexadecimal. Click on OK.
                16. Repeat steps 7 to 14 for the Server key (by creating two DWORDs, DisabledByDefault and Enabled, and their values underneath the Server key).
                17. Reboot the server.
                Your server should now support TLS 1.2.

(Steps re-posted from: https://support.quovadisglobal.com/k...r-2008-r2.aspx)

This tool makes this easier, much easier.

https://www.nartac.com/Products/IISCrypto
                HS3Pro on Win2012R2
                Aeotec, Cooper, Cree, GE/Jasco, Intermatic, LIFX, Fortrezz, OSRAM, RCS, Trane, Zooz
                BLBackup, BLGData, BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch, InvisaLink, HSBuddy, IFTTT, NetCAM, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Random, UltraLighting3, weatherXML, ZigBee, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by jplandry View Post
                  Hi all. I found a workaround to get this working with minimal effort. In summary, the WeatherXML plugin appears to be a .NET application. You should be able to force the app to use TLS v1.2, which is now required by DarkSky, by updating the .NET config file.
                  Thank you very much for this.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post

I just realized that Ambient Weather uses Dark Sky for their forecasts.....looks like that will be a dead end soon as well.... Does anyone know if WU will provide forecasts if you give them your weather station data?
                    Plugin's:

Comment

I just realized that Ambient Weather uses Dark Sky for their forecasts.....looks like that will be a dead end soon as well....
                      Maybe Ambient will pay the high fees to keep using Apple/Dark Sky come 2022? Here's to hoping.

Comment

FWIW, I use "NOAA Weather (US Only)" as my forecast provider In Weather XML. When it was set to DarkSky, all of the forecasts came in as, "Clear throughout the day". Now that I'm on NOAA, I have different short forecasts per day and it's been working great. What is the attraction to DarkSky anyway?

Comment

Working...
                        X