No announcement yet.

WeatherXML EOL - HS4 Native weather plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the beta.

Comment

Hi All,

Just a quick update. I've been fixing the bugs I've been finding. Onto final testing now whihc is leaving the plugin running on windows and ensuring it updates correctly over a 24 hour period. After 24hr test, some very quick testing on linux as the plugin is created to be for both windows and linux.
      Rather than just tell you where I am i figured I'd show you - I've attached to this post the current screens so you can see what it will (is) looking like.

I have added the methodology to allow me to easily include any weather service with the only extra effort to add is understanding the API each use. Although in the attached screens, you will see I have already added placeholders for some other services, these are not yet enabled. Once I post the beta, I'll start working on these ones. Other items like Database are not yet enabled either. y first priorty after posting the beta will be to add an overview page that will allow you a nice webview of the current weather and forecast similar to the user page in WeatherXML

I have found one strange thing - although I allow you to pick your own suffix and prefix - and it shows up in Homeseer, HS4 doesn't seem to be using it at the moment so I need to look into this further (after BETA issued).

Any thoughts/comments welcome.
      My updated plan (after running 1 week behind 😔 ) is: 24 hour test tomorrow, liux testing on Wednesday, package plugin Thursday and issue to Homeseer for Beta release on Friday.

[After posting the beta, we will move this discussion across to the new forum section)
      Attached Files

Comment

This looks nice so far. I am looking forward to try it out. A few comments/questions:
        • Can you set the units (Celsius vs Fahrenheit, km per hour vs miles per hour, etc.)
        • Since you implemented sunrise and sunset could you add solar noon (middle between sunset and sunrise)
        • Can weather icons be changed for all devices by simply changing a file that contains the icon (and not getting overwritten on the next update)
        • Are you going to add NOAA? I didn't see it in the screenshots.
        • Could we have day of week devices? That's helpful for HSTouch to show the day of the week like Mon, Tue, Wed, etc. To cover multiple languages it probably would be helpful if one can define the name for day 1 (Sun), day 2 (Mon), etc.
        • Is it possible to store the retrieved data in an XML file. That would be good for further parsing through scripts as well as debugging.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
          This looks nice so far. I am looking forward to try it out. A few comments/questions:
          • Can you set the units (Celsius vs Fahrenheit, km per hour vs miles per hour, etc.)
          • Since you implemented sunrise and sunset could you add solar noon (middle between sunset and sunrise)
          • Can weather icons be changed for all devices by simply changing a file that contains the icon (and not getting overwritten on the next update)
          • Are you going to add NOAA? I didn't see it in the screenshots.
          • Could we have day of week devices? That's helpful for HSTouch to show the day of the week like Mon, Tue, Wed, etc. To cover multiple languages it probably would be helpful if one can define the name for day 1 (Sun), day 2 (Mon), etc.
          • Is it possible to store the retrieved data in an XML file. That would be good for further parsing through scripts as well as debugging.
          Hi mulu ,

- Setting units is done in the settings for that weather service. The selected option will retreive the data in the units of measure. If the weatherservice does nont offer it by default (Openweather does) then I will do the connversion when updating devices.
          As noted in my post, although I allow you to set prefix/sufix per devices, its not working so I need to dig further into this 😣
          Click image for larger version

Name:	openweather_units.png
Views:	284
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	1425714

- Adding Solar Noon - I can do this as its a simlpe calc

- I wasn't planning on having a custom icon set but an icon set pepr weather service. I'll look into allow a custom icon set after go live

Name:	rnbweather_iconsets.png
Views:	263
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	1425715

- NOAA is in the screenshots (Settings: Openweather Settings) and will be an option in the weather services but will not be enabled for first BETA as its focused on Openweather.
          It wasnt in the screenshot for the Devices and Features page as I didnt have the NOAA service enabled 😀 I was testing enabling and disabling services even if they are configured 😁

Name:	rnbweather_settingsmenu.png
Views:	258
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1425716

- Day of week devices: Are yoou asking for Day of week instead of Day 0, Day 1, Day 2 etc? IF so, Will require a bit of code adjustement but I think so.

- Yes I can store the retrieved data inn a file. I'm thinking JSON instead of XML and momst services opt for JSON these days instead of XML. If I made the data available in JSON format, would that give you what you need? If yes, I can add it in now very easily (I think)

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I am so glad to see solar noon

Yes, day of week devices. I said Day 0, Day 1, etc because I was thinking in the settings you would have input fields where users can define something like: Day 0 = Sun, Day 1 = Mon, etc. That way users can easily adjust it to whatever they want, e.g. full day of week name, shortened day of week name, day of week names in different languages, etc.

JSON is fine. I am more familiar with XML but you make a good point why to use JSON instead.

I am not sure if there was a misunderstanding regarding the icons. It seems like you have a directory for each service and I assume in those directories are the icons. So could I just go and replace the icons in there to have my own personal icons? If so that's all I would need.

Comment

Ah, I did kind of misunderstand you about the icons. Yes, I could choose not to update icons if already there on update (so as not to overwrite).
              Just thinking out loud here, probably a better way which I think I'll do is to add a custom folder to each weather icon set. Then in settings, allow you to chose to use the default set or the custom set. This way if you want to revert back to the standard from custom its just a flick of a switch and I'll never have anything in the custom folder so therefore no risk of overwriting 😀

Day Names - I'll look at that today - I think it should be relatively easier

Will add the JSON output today

Comment

A special folder for custom icons with a switch in the settings sound great to me.

Comment

This is great News, I just have One quick request Weather Warnings or as Open Weather Calls it Government alerts to weather, i.e. Tornados and like

Comment

Originally posted by rmies1 View Post
                    This is great News, I just have One quick request Weather Warnings or as Open Weather Calls it Government alerts to weather, i.e. Tornados and like
                    Hi rmies1 , I have already planned to add Government weather alerts but probably in the second beta. I just need to find a location that has warnings currently in place to see what the data looks like 😄. It will be an optional device that you can choose or not choose depending on your preference.

Comment

Hi rmies1 ....quick question. How are you expecting the alerts to be shown in HS4?

Comment

Hey Rory - any more news with the Beta yet ? Eagerly awaiting this to get some smart automations working again in HS4.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveyboy View Post
                          Hey Rory - any more news with the Beta yet ? Eagerly awaiting this to get some smart automations working again in HS4.
                          Yes. Ii've been running it stable for the last few days so I' happy it is a stable BETA. I' just completing the userguide here right now so will finish that in the next hour or so after which I'll be pushing the plugin into HomeSeer. Normally takes them about 24 hours to publish then.

Comment

Hello, I missed the thread as it was lost in the noise and the title did not jump out immediately.... I was very happy to read the progress and that the development has progressed to point it has so quickly. I see that you have included the BOM and the current BOM API leaves a big whole in where the API provides data for... I am very lucky as the BOM is very close (with a few km's) and on the same site as where I work however, there is and can be a very big discrepancy between the BOM and the local micro-climate especially rain conditions.

Even for Hydrawise I do not use the BOM but rather my own weather station as the rain data between the BOM station and local can be significantly different as the rain/storms normal goes around where I am locate. I have Davis weather stations and using the Weatherlink Live (WLL) and using the local API would be a great advantage; especially if it could be integrated as this is realtime, local and provides more accurate reporting of the conditions. Davis and the is widely used so it would potentially provide a very good enhancements to a number of users. If WLL is considered an option as this is only the realtime reporting of the current condition and not the forecast, so this would need to be factored in to the design.

https://weatherlink.github.io/v2-api/

Comment

Hi brientim ,
                              I think we were chatting previously on the hydrawse thread. Hope all is good over East and happy to see it starting to stablise 😀.
                              Happy to incorporate weatherlink as an option once I complete NOAA, YR and BOM. I'll reach out to you through message in a couple of weeks as I will need some sample data/results to make it work properly.
                              I agree, I'm not a huge fan of BOM but might be useful to have the offical weather station if needed. I will be using Openweather mostly myself.
                              The beta has been submitted to HomeSeer so now just waiting for it to be released/published so we can see what doesn;t work as intended so I can fix 😀
                              Yes - lots of threads so very easy to miss some. Once published, I will be moving the discussion into the new forum.

Comment

What is the name of the plugin?

Comment

Working...
                                X