Rain Today looks like it is an integer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain Today looks like it is an integer?

I'm using WeatherUnderground for my XML data here in NH and WeatherXML 3.0.0.8.

It would appear that the "Rain Today" device is an integer as we had 0.71" of rain today and the Rain Today device just changed from 0 to 1 (I assume once it got over 0.5" then it rounded off to 1?).
    Otherwise it's been 0 all the time.

I don't see any way in HS or the plugin to scale the value up but 100 for example or make it a floating point number.

What I want to use this for is if there is more than 1/100" or more of rain in the last 24hrs then I will skip my irrigation event.

The value is there, and it does appear to be updating. I just need it to be a floating point number instead of an integer.

Which version are you running? HS3 or HS2?
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

HS3
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.96 (Windows)
      On a Win7 PC.

Comment

I do have code that rounds the value.
        I'll add to my to do list to remove that.

Realistically, it will be January before I make any more changes.

I finished my last session of chemo. Recovery has been slow. Then sometime in the first part of December I have my last surgery. Recovery time is expected to be 2 weeks which will take until Christmas.

I am hoping to finally be done then and can get back to a normal life in January.
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Been a long haul. Hope things get better for you soon.
          Don

Comment

I ran into the same problem, but found a workaround. I changed the unit for "Rain Today" from inches to millimeters. This gave me enough granularity to disable my irrigation if there was rain.

Comment

I've removed the code that rounds the rain today total.

Will be in the next release.
              --
              Jeff Farmer
              HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Version 3.0.0.12 is now in the updater.
                The rain total is no longer converted to an integer.
                --
                Jeff Farmer
                HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
                  Version 3.0.0.12 is now in the updater.
                  The rain total is no longer converted to an integer.
                  I am running 3.0.0.30, but my RainToday (wxmlRainT_1) which is coming from Weather Underground still appears to be an integer. I am seeing 0 when the value on the WU site for the selection location is 0.05". Is there something I'm doing wrong? My HS3 install has had WeatherXML running since February or March of this year, so I initially installed WeatherXML on an earlier version. I remember updating it at least twice now, including the recent update to 3.0.0.30. Do I need to delete and recreate devices to fix this, or anything like that?

Comment

When I changed the value to no longer be an integer, I changed it to be only 1 number after the decimal. So you would get 1.5 or 0.7 inches.
                    I did this because if I have to convert from or to metric you can end up with a number with 6 or 7 places after the decimal. That many places after the decimal is so small when you dealing with inches that it just seemed pointless to display it.

.06 would round up to .1 but .05 or less rounds to 0.
                    --
                    Jeff Farmer
                    HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
                      When I changed the value to no longer be an integer, I changed it to be only 1 number after the decimal. So you would get 1.5 or 0.7 inches.
                      I did this because if I have to convert from or to metric you can end up with a number with 6 or 7 places after the decimal. That many places after the decimal is so small when you dealing with inches that it just seemed pointless to display it.

.06 would round up to .1 but .05 or less rounds to 0.
                      English measurements are to .01" and metric to .1mm. Isn't the plug in written in .NET? I don't understand what the limitation to resolution is. The data sources from which information is pulled would use native measurements of either .1mm or .01". Even if a conversion is necessary three decimal places provides resolution suitable to both metric and english measurement. .01" is .254mm, and .1mm = .004".

Comment

The limitation was just due to a decision I made.
                        I have a lot of speak items setup and the speaking sounds better (to me) when it says "rain total for today is 1 inch" vs "rain total for today is 1 point zero two inches"
                        Personal preference was why I had initially made them all integers. Then I got a request to make the rain total go to one decimal place so I changed it.
                        I'm not trying to argue with you that it's not needed, was just explaining how it works currently.

I will add to my to do list to allow selecting how many places past the decimal to use. That way each person can decide what works best for them. I meant to post this last night but got distracted watching the Royals win.
                        --
                        Jeff Farmer
                        HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I'm in California. With the drought, they're fining folks $1000s if irrigation runs within 24hrs of any rain whatsoever in my region. Others have a more reasonable .1" or .125" which would work. Apparently politicians don't know how rain is measured; then again I'd like to see them argue that a particular house had .01 vs .04". Now they've encouraged neighbors to report violations. I'm getting a real 1984 vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by dzee View Post
                            Thanks for the explanation. I'm in California. With the drought, they're fining folks $1000s if irrigation runs within 24hrs of any rain whatsoever in my region. Others have a more reasonable .1" or .125" which would work. Apparently politicians don't know how rain is measured; then again I'd like to see them argue that a particular house had .01 vs .04". Now they've encouraged neighbors to report violations. I'm getting a real 1984 vibe.
                            No kidding, how can you measure 1/20 th of an inch.

I'll go ahead and modify both of the rain totals to go out 2 decimal places and get that released this week.
                            Then when I have more time, I'll add a way to select from a dropdown how many places after the decimal. From 0 to 5 should be good for everybody.
                            --
                            Jeff Farmer
                            HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

I just posted version .31 to the updater. This changes the Rain totals to 2 decimal places. Some providers may not provide rain totals.
                              --
                              Jeff Farmer
                              HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Working...
                              X