Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather Underground Forecast Download Error

Hi,

About a week ago (as far as I can tell) WeatherXML stopped downloading forecasts. Checked the log and this is what it says:

Sep-30 6:43:20 PM weatherXML Error Error File: WUForecast1.xml Error Reason: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Data\weatherXML\WUForecast1.xml'.

Sep-30 6:43:20 PM weatherXML Error downloadFile: WU Forecast from: http://api.wunderground.com/api/XXKEYXXX/forecast10day/geolookup/tide/lang:FC/q/45.48,-73.62.xml. Error: The remote name could not be resolved: 'api.wunderground.com

(X'd out my key in the link above)

I went to the weatherunderground site and see that "forecasts" went to zero, shows no errors, and as near as I can tell my key is still valid and I still get current conditions.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!
    Regards,
    Chris
    HS3 Pro 3.0.0.531 Shuttle XS36VL Atom PC - Win 7 Pro 32 / HCSII / Insteon / Z-Wave & SmartStick+ / DSC 1832 - PC5108 - IT100 / 651 devises & 154 events
    Plug-Ins: APCUPSD / BLDSC / BLiTunes / BlueIris / BLMarantz / BLShutdown / Device History / HCS2 / Insteon / Jon00 Network Monitor / Jon00 DB Charting / PHLocation2 / WeatherXML / Z-Wave

I tried the URL in your message with my key and it worked. Can you ping api.wunderground.com ? I'd guess it was a transient issue with WU which seems to happen somewhat frequently or your DNS is messed up.

Comment

...hmmm not a communication issue?

Originally posted by jmjones View Post
      I tried the URL in your message with my key and it worked. Can you ping api.wunderground.com ? I'd guess it was a transient issue with WU which seems to happen somewhat frequently or your DNS is messed up.
      Thanks for your suggestion....sorry, I should have added that the address pings properly and manually entering the string in the browser resolves perfectly every time...I can see the whole contents of the forecast XML file.

So it doesn't appear to be an DNS or other communication issue with WU nor is it a key validity issue and I'm not exceeding my limits with WU. And keep in mind that I correctly get the current weather file.

I'm suspecting an issue with the last HS3 update to .206 ...or the most recent update to WeatherXML 3.0.0.37. Both of those updates were made at about the time the issue arose.

I can't recall, is there a way to roll back to a previous version of the WXML plug-in?

UPDATE: WHOA! Just noticed that the forecast file successfully downloaded. As I was writing this reply and poking around the only thing I did that might have caused a "fix" was to de-activate and re-activate the PI. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

Any ideas?
      Last edited by CeeTee; October 1st, 2015, 07:25 AM.
      Regards,
      Chris
      HS3 Pro 3.0.0.531 Shuttle XS36VL Atom PC - Win 7 Pro 32 / HCSII / Insteon / Z-Wave & SmartStick+ / DSC 1832 - PC5108 - IT100 / 651 devises & 154 events
      Plug-Ins: APCUPSD / BLDSC / BLiTunes / BlueIris / BLMarantz / BLShutdown / Device History / HCS2 / Insteon / Jon00 Network Monitor / Jon00 DB Charting / PHLocation2 / WeatherXML / Z-Wave

Comment

Previously installed versions of weatherxml are in the HomeSeer HS3/updates directory.
        To go back to a previous version you would just need to copy the old exe file.

But before you do that. The best thing you can do to help me figure something out is to put the logging level to Debug and then run the forecast schedule manually from the schedules page.
        Grab the log entries and get them to me.

Also if the xml file is there but the data is not importing then take a look at the file. Sometimes there will be a clue in the file.
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
          The best thing you can do to help me figure something out is to put the logging level to Debug and then run the forecast schedule manually from the schedules page.
          Grab the log entries and get them to me.

Also if the xml file is there but the data is not importing then take a look at the file. Sometimes there will be a clue in the file.
          Are the debug entries supposed to be in a separate log file? I can't seem to find a separate file; I only have the entries in the main HS3 log (which I had posted at the top of this thread).

In any event, since I de- and re- activated the PI earlier this morning the forecast file is now downloading properly and is present in its sub-directory along with the current conditions file. Before that, it simply wasn't there.

I'll get back to you if the weirdness reappears.
          Thanks again,
          Regards,
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by CeeTee View Post
            Are the debug entries supposed to be in a separate log file? I can't seem to find a separate file; I only have the entries in the main HS3 log (which I had posted at the top of this thread).
            On the weatherXML Settings page, you can set the logging level to debug. You will get more than just the error log entries put into the HS logs. Those extra log info is helpful in trying to figure out the errors.

Just fyi for the future if you run into another error.

Glad its working for you now.
            --
            Jeff Farmer
            HS 3, HSPhone
            My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
            Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
              On the weatherXML Settings page, you can set the logging level to debug. You will get more than just the error log entries put into the HS logs. Those extra log info is helpful in trying to figure out the errors.

Just fyi for the future if you run into another error.

Glad its working for you now.
              Thank you Jeff ...I'll keep an eye on it.

Well, actually an "ear" since the weather status and forecast is read through voice over the house intercom, in French no less, when the system wakes us up in the morning and whenever we dis-arm the the house alarm upon re-entry.

Cheers!
              Regards,
              Chris

Comment

Reviving thread - WXML not downloading again

Hi Jeff,

Since the last update to 3.0.0.41 WXML stopped downloading the Forecast file.

Same problem as last time (see previous posts from last September); the error log says:

Error File: WUForecast1.xml Error Reason: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Data\weatherXML\WUForecast1.xml'.

downloadFile: WU Forecast from: http://api.wunderground.com/api/b1cf82e19baf898f/forecast10day/geolookup/tide/lang:FC/q/45.48,-73.62.xml. Error: The remote name could not be resolved: 'api.wunderground.com'

As last time, if I copy the URL it resolves perfectly every time as does the WU website (on the HS3 server and other PC's on my LAN). So as near as I can tell my HS3 has no problem contacting WU.

I tried fixing it and eventually uninstalled and reinstalled the PI, but I seem to have now made it worse as now it looks like none of the file downloads are working at all.

I'll send you a PM with the full error and debug logs and my config file as well.

Thanks
                <table class="log_table_row" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="LogDateLong LogDateTime1" colspan="1" style=" white-space: nowrap;" align="left">
                </td><td class="LogPri1" colspan="1" align="left">
                </td><td class="LogType1" colspan="3" align="left">
                </td><td class="LogEntry1" colspan="8" align="left">
                </td></tr></tbody></table>
                Regards,
                Chris

Comment

Working...
                X