Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alert Triggers not working as expected

First off, thanks for the great plugin.

When setting up alert triggers, I'm doing a keyword search for warning,watch to pick up all warnings and watches for my area. I've defined what areas are available to the triggers page under alerts and verified that only the areas I specified are showing up in the drop down. The problem is, whenever any warnings or watches hit the entire state, a match is made regardless of whether it's in my area or not. Is this the intended behavior? I was thinking of adding my area as a keyword which would probably work for now, but then I don't see what the point of having the areas would be.

Also, what does the "Speak Alert Matches" dropdown on the triggers summary page do? Within the trigger, I have the action set to speak which seems to work. In my case, I have a media file playing the NWS alert tone before the speak text happens. What I've noticed is that the media appears to be truncated and only partially plays before the speak text is fired. Is there a way you can expose a field to incorporate a wait delay between the time the media is played and when the speak text is played? It seems to be fixed at the moment and that is probably what is causing the media file to be truncated.
    Attached Files

You are correct in how the areas should work. Any alerts that come in should have one of your selected areas.
    The next time you get a trigger on an out of area alert, grab the NOAlerts1.xml file. Check the cap:areaDesc in the file to confirm that one of the areas is not listed. If not, send me the xml file and I will see what I can figure out.
    As alerts come in, new areas will be added to your list so you may see your area options grow for a while.

The dropdown for Speak Alert Matches is just a quick way to turn off all the speaking but to still allow the triggers to run for setting devices, sending emails and pushover messages if you are using the pushover plugin.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by slbuck View Post
      Within the trigger, I have the action set to speak which seems to work. In my case, I have a media file playing the NWS alert tone before the speak text happens. What I've noticed is that the media appears to be truncated and only partially plays before the speak text is fired. Is there a way you can expose a field to incorporate a wait delay between the time the media is played and when the speak text is played? It seems to be fixed at the moment and that is probably what is causing the media file to be truncated.
      Are you hearing this on an android? I've noticed the cutoff on my android touchscreen on my desk, but I don't hear it on a windows laptop.

Either way, I will add to my to do list to add the delay time.
      --
      Jeff Farmer
      HS 3, HSPhone
      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
        Are you hearing this on an android? I've noticed the cutoff on my android touchscreen on my desk, but I don't hear it on a windows laptop.

Either way, I will add to my to do list to add the delay time.
        Yes it's on the Android that I have the problem. I haven't tested on my Windows client since I'm unable to perform a manual test of the trigger.

Here are a few things I've noticed when trying to test this:

1) I'm unable to test the trigger. Enabling debug and attempting to test the trigger results in the following:

Feb-05 21:47:41 weatherXML page: weatherXML_trig, data: &id=testTrigger_2&testTrigger_2=Submit

But nothing ever plays

2) When I come back to the alert trigger screen, occasionally, the alerts will no longer be there. See the attached. I've been unable to test the trigger firing for areas outside the ones I have selected because the trigger was no longer there.

Should I put the logging to debug and write it out to a file and just let it run for a day or so to see if it catches the trigger disappearing?
        Attached Files

Comment

if you would send me the HomeSeer HS3/config/weatherXML/weatherTriggers.ini
          jeff at myautomatedhome dot net

I need to see if the triggers are still in the file and it's just not reading the file correctly when the plugin starts or if the data is gone from the ini file.
          --
          Jeff Farmer
          HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

if you would send me the HomeSeer HS3/config/weatherXML/weatherTriggers.ini
            jeff at myautomatedhome dot net

I need to see if the triggers are still in the file and it's just not reading the file correctly when the plugin starts or if the data is gone from the ini file.
            I sent the requested file along with the NOAlerts1.xml and a snippit from the wXMLLog.log that showed where the alert triggers match my severe weather alert areas, even though none of them were part of the alerts issued by the NWS.

Comment

I think I figured out your area problem.

On the Alert setup. The items you select are not to filter the alerts. You are just selecting the items that you want to be available to use in the triggers. Think of the Alert setup as designing the dropdowns for triggers.

When you setup a trigger, if you select Any in the areas dropdown, it is saying to ignore the Areas and just trigger no matter what the areas are.
              If you want to only get triggers for Fort Bend, then you have to select Fort Bend in the trigger setup.
              --
              Jeff Farmer
              HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

I think I figured out your area problem.

On the Alert setup. The items you select are not to filter the alerts. You are just selecting the items that you want to be available to use in the triggers. Think of the Alert setup as designing the dropdowns for triggers.

When you setup a trigger, if you select Any in the areas dropdown, it is saying to ignore the Areas and just trigger no matter what the areas are.
                If you want to only get triggers for Fort Bend, then you have to select Fort Bend in the trigger setup.
                I confirmed this is working. I setup the trigger and specifically specified the area and after the alert schedule ran, the alert triggered just for that area and set the last alert device correctly.

Now, just have to figure out the missing triggers after a plug-in restart.

EDIT: Also, I'm still unable to test any of the alert triggers to verify things are working. I just have to wait for a matching alert, or change the area to a matching one with an active alert to see if it works. This is how I just tested since there are no active alerts for Fort Bend. :EDIT

A request:

Is there any way to allow Any in the dropdown list of the trigger and only apply to those areas that you specify under the alerts section? I have about 10 areas that I'm going to be monitoring and would rather just specify Any instead of individually checking each area. Logically, the way I'm thinking about it: if I filter the areas I'm interested in alerting on in the alerts tab, when I setup the trigger and specify Any, it should only apply to the areas already selected (which show up below the Any). That would make things easier in the future if you wanted to change areas. You could just change the areas in the alert tab and the triggers that had Any specified would automatically pick up the new areas. As it is, I would have to go into each trigger and re-add the new area in the dropdown.

Thanks for the help.
                Last edited by slbuck; February 6th, 2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I confirmed this is working. I setup the trigger and specifically specified the area and after the alert schedule ran, the alert triggered just for that area and set the last alert device correctly.

Now, just have to figure out the missing triggers after a plug-in restart.
                  Sending me your ini file was a big help. I finally figured out why it is happening. I made some changes and was able to finally get your trigger to load each time I restarted.

EDIT: Also, I'm still unable to test any of the alert triggers to verify things are working. I just have to wait for a matching alert, or change the area to a matching one with an active alert to see if it works. This is how I just tested since there are no active alerts for Fort Bend. :EDIT
                  Once I got the trigger to show up. I was able to click on test and it works. You won't get a real alert to be used for the test. It uses some made up data as the test is just to allow you to see what is speaking, emailing and/or pushing.

A request:

Is there any way to allow Any in the dropdown list of the trigger and only apply to those areas that you specify under the alerts section? I have about 10 areas that I'm going to be monitoring and would rather just specify Any instead of individually checking each area. Logically, the way I'm thinking about it: if I filter the areas I'm interested in alerting on in the alerts tab, when I setup the trigger and specify Any, it should only apply to the areas already selected (which show up below the Any). That would make things easier in the future if you wanted to change areas. You could just change the areas in the alert tab and the triggers that had Any specified would automatically pick up the new areas. As it is, I would have to go into each trigger and re-add the new area in the dropdown.
                  To make a change like this would break it for all the existing users.
                  Also you would be stuck if there was a type of alert that you wanted to trigger on for the whole state. You would have to select every area just to have the one trigger work for the whole state. Also I would prefer to keep the Any option consistent between all of the dropdowns.
                  I think the better way will be to add an "All" option to the dropdown. Where "All" is what you are looking for. It would be the same as if you selected every area in the dropdown.

I'll add that to my to do list.
                  --
                  Jeff Farmer
                  HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

To make a change like this would break it for all the existing users.
                    Also you would be stuck if there was a type of alert that you wanted to trigger on for the whole state. You would have to select every area just to have the one trigger work for the whole state. Also I would prefer to keep the Any option consistent between all of the dropdowns.
                    I think the better way will be to add an "All" option to the dropdown. Where "All" is what you are looking for. It would be the same as if you selected every area in the dropdown.

I'll add that to my to do list.
                    I didn't think of the use case of an alert for anything in the state. I like the idea of the All option in addition to the Any option. That would solve the issue and not break things.

Soon I'll be able to trigger an indoor siren based upon these alert triggers once the updated plug-in with the fixes is released. Increased WAF appreciated from the reduction in false alarms

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I like the idea of the All option in addition to the Any option. That would solve the issue and not break things.
                      I forgot to mention that the All option should apply to any of those trigger criteria with drop downs that have already been filtered from the alerts page.

Comment

Working...
                      X