Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precipitation in % and mm

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Precipitation in % and mm

    Hi,

    For my sprinklers I want to use the data from WeatherXML. To deside if the sprinklers should be active I want to make an analysis of the precipitation of today and the forecasted precipitation for the next 3 days.
    I found the HST settings that provide devices with the precipitation forecast in %. But is it possible to also have devices with the precipitation in mm?
    I use Wunderground and on their site the precipitation forecast is like: 50 % / 2 mm

    Thanks in advance!

    Herbus (Jo)

  • #2
    I checked the download data and the rain in mm and inches is available.
    I will add it to my list of things to do.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

    Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

    Comment


    • #3
      That would be great. Thanks!

      Comment


      • #4
        I am starting to work on the bug list and will be working of feature requests later this month. Yours is on my list.
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

        Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

        Comment


        • #5
          Jeff. That's very similar to why I put my request in. I am going to play around with my own algorithm using the data from the PWS that's less than a quarter mile from me. I may also setup my own PWS at sometime.
          cheeryfool

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm assuming "Rain Today" and "Rain Past Hour" were added as a result of this. How about adding "QPF All Day" in the forecast devices section? In addition to knowing whether I want to run the sprinklers based on today's rain amount, it would be good to know how much is anticipated for tomorrow as well...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by shill View Post
              I'm assuming "Rain Today" and "Rain Past Hour" were added as a result of this. How about adding "QPF All Day" in the forecast devices section? In addition to knowing whether I want to run the sprinklers based on today's rain amount, it would be good to know how much is anticipated for tomorrow as well...
              I replied in another thread and should have waited until I checked the actual code.
              The rain totals in the forecast are using the qdf for the Forecast Daytime Precipitation Inches, Forecast Nighttime Precipitation Inches, and Forecast Total Precipitation Inches
              --
              Jeff Farmer
              HS 3, HSPhone
              My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
              Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

              Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
                I replied in another thread and should have waited until I checked the actual code.
                The rain totals in the forecast are using the qdf for the Forecast Daytime Precipitation Inches, Forecast Nighttime Precipitation Inches, and Forecast Total Precipitation Inches
                Sorry if I'm being dense, but how do I get to the value for "Forecast Total Precipitation Inches"? That's not a device and I don't see a global variable for it, so I assume I'm missing something.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Go to the page labeled HSTouch. These are the devices that are designed for HS3. The ones on the page labeled Devices are legacy ones left over from HS2.
                  On the HSTouch page, if you are using Weather Underground, you should see a section labeled Precipitation Device Items. There is also a section labeled Precipitation Historical.

                  The Precipitation Device Items is where you select which days you want the forecast for.

                  The Precipitation Historical is where you can go up to 7 days of past data.
                  You can setup devices to show the total for each day and there is also devices for an accumulative total. On those Day 4 would be the total of Day 1, 2 3 and 4.
                  --
                  Jeff Farmer
                  HS 3, HSPhone
                  My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                  Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

                  Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
                    Go to the page labeled HSTouch. These are the devices that are designed for HS3. The ones on the page labeled Devices are legacy ones left over from HS2.
                    On the HSTouch page, if you are using Weather Underground, you should see a section labeled Precipitation Device Items. There is also a section labeled Precipitation Historical.

                    The Precipitation Device Items is where you select which days you want the forecast for.

                    The Precipitation Historical is where you can go up to 7 days of past data.
                    You can setup devices to show the total for each day and there is also devices for an accumulative total. On those Day 4 would be the total of Day 1, 2 3 and 4.
                    Aha! I don't use HSTouch that much so I never bothered looking at that tab.

                    Can you clarify the way the cumulative totals are updated? Is today's rainfall included or do I need to add the two together?

                    In other words, if I check at 6AM to see how much it's rained in the last 3 days, will the fact that's rained 2 inches since midnight be in the Day 3 historical data or do I need to add the Current Rain device? I'm thinking they need to be added together based on your description above.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shill View Post
                      Aha! I don't use HSTouch that much so I never bothered looking at that tab.

                      Can you clarify the way the cumulative totals are updated? Is today's rainfall included or do I need to add the two together?

                      In other words, if I check at 6AM to see how much it's rained in the last 3 days, will the fact that's rained 2 inches since midnight be in the Day 3 historical data or do I need to add the Current Rain device? I'm thinking they need to be added together based on your description above.
                      You are correct. It would not have the current day included in the total.
                      --
                      Jeff Farmer
                      HS 3, HSPhone
                      My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

                      Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The historical/accumulated rainfall devices don't seem to be working correctly. On Monday 6/18, we received .8 inches of rain, which was properly reflected in "Rain Today" in current conditions.

                        However, I now see Accumulation Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3 with a value of "0.15", and the amount shown for the historical Precipitation Amount Day 1 is also "0.15".

                        What happened to my 0.8 inches?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you would, on the schedules page, set the conditions to keep 72 backups. That would cover 3 days of once an hour updates.
                          If you have it saving some backups already, check the xml file for what the value was in the last file before midnight last night.

                          I need to refresh myself on the code so I don't give you an incorrect answer now. I get off at 4PM central and will take a look at the code then.
                          --
                          Jeff Farmer
                          HS 3, HSPhone
                          My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

                          Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
                            If you would, on the schedules page, set the conditions to keep 72 backups. That would cover 3 days of once an hour updates.
                            If you have it saving some backups already, check the xml file for what the value was in the last file before midnight last night.

                            I need to refresh myself on the code so I don't give you an incorrect answer now. I get off at 4PM central and will take a look at the code then.
                            Thanks. Turned those on just now, so I don't have any data for this particular instance of the problem. But since I was actively working on my formula for "how long do I need to run the sprinklers based on the target amount for a 3 day window - the amount in the last 3 days - the amount already today - the amount forecast for today/tomorrow (adjust by likelihood)", I paid close attention to the data the last couple of days.

                            The good news is my formula is working. The bad news is it thinks I need to run the sprinklers today because we didn't accumulate much rain the last 3 days...

                            Let me know what else you need - I've also turned on Device History for the "Rain Today" device (unfortunately switching from "Devices" to "HSTouch" for my current conditions also wiped out my tracking of the history) so I'll have that to compare as well next time.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm not seeing anything that jumps out and says this is where the error is.
                              At Midnight, I create a temp array and set the 0 value to the value from current rain today variable. It would be the total from the last download and import from the (at that point) previous day. The value stored in currentRainToday is used for both of the device types. I then load the array 1 to 7 with the values from the past 7 days.
                              The value are then moved up one. array(7) gets set to array(6), etc.

                              After the individual days are set, it then adds days together to get the accumulated values.
                              Day 1 = temp array 0.
                              Day 5 = Day 0 + Day 1 ... + Day 4

                              I have 2 sets of totals. One for the value for each day and one for the values of the accumulated totals.
                              After all the values are set, I loop over the devices and update them.

                              We got .83 inches today and have had no rain in the past 6 days. I'll check my totals in the morning and keep an eye on them by checking the backup xml files compared to the totals showing in the devices.
                              --
                              Jeff Farmer
                              HS 3, HSPhone
                              My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                              Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

                              Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X