Help with blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with blinds

I originally purchased my RFXCOM to control my first automated blind - Bali AutoView RF. I then started using the RFXCOM for other purposes - remote temp sensors, etc. Then the next Bali AutoView I purchased came native with Z-wave, and a hefty price tag.

So I am looking at using Somfy motors that I think the RFXCOM speaks to? I don't have any experience using this so I thought I would post for advice. I see that Home Depot and Lowes are listed as Somfy resellers but each time I follow the links I am taken to the Bali page.

Can I order Somfy blinds that will talk to the RFXCOM? Any advice on where to do that as I would like to compare the prices to the Bali Z-Wave Autoview blinds. Thanks.

You can control Somfy RTS motors with the RFXtrx433E.
    Somfy IO operates on a different frequency and cannot be controlled by the RFXtrx433E.

https://www.somfysystems.com/where-to-buy

See chapter 2.2.1. in the RFXtrx User Guide for the list of supported blinds motors.
    Another popular brand is Dooya available on Aliexpress.

Comment

Thanks Bert. Just to confirm - in my homeseer RFXCOM config it says that I have a RFXtrx433. Is this the same thing? I am controlling one Bali blind through RFXCOM, which from looking online, would appear to be a Somfy motor.

Also, regarding purchasing the Somfy motors - I have no experience in this. I have only purchased Bali blinds with the motors built in.

By looking online I see lots of places to buy the motors. I am assuming that you do this and then retrofit the blinds you currently have to fit the motors. I wanted to get some pointers on this - for example if I wanted to add some cellular shades to a room what would be the best combination of blind and motor to achieve this.

I am trying to price this out to see how it compares to the Bali all in one option. Thanks.

Comment

The selection in the HS3 plugin indicates the firmware used by the RFXCOM. The Type1, Type2, Ext and Ext2 firmware respond a type RFXtrx433. The RFXrec firmware responds with the type RFXrec433.
        To know the hardware type check the label on the bottom of the RFXCOM unit.

Comment

I am looking at the dooya blinds - has anyone had experience with these and provide pointers? I am looking at automating honeycomb blinds in the bathroom. Are all dooya motors retrofit - have to buy the blinds first?

Comment

I have 10 Somfy motors which are awesome! Highly recommend them. But they are more expensive. And you need the "E" version of the hardware.
            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
              I am looking at the dooya blinds - has anyone had experience with these and provide pointers? I am looking at automating honeycomb blinds in the bathroom. Are all dooya motors retrofit - have to buy the blinds first?
              Be careful, I have a motorised blind purchased through an australian company that integrates dooya motors (or a rebadged variant) into their products. When I pulled the blond apart out if curiosity it was either a DM35 or DM25, can't quite remember.

What I will warn you about is that they are LOUD. Not ear splitting or anything, but a very noticeable droning noise as they wind, and not particularly fast.

I haven't been to the local somfy display store yet to see how theirs compare But the current blind, with its noise and slow speed, feels cheap and definitely not "lux", which I feel is something you want out of an automatic blind.

Comment

I am thinking I might go the somfy route. Does anyone have a recommended online merchant for ordering?

Comment

Some of the Somfy motors aren't exactly quiet either. Doesn't really bother me, but they are professional so I figure that they have some quiet ones for more money.

I have received excellent support from automatedshadeinc.com and from www.littleblindspotmn.com/. If it wasn't for Little Blind Spot then I wouldn't even have the original Somfy blinds. They are more of a retail store but have a online store as well. Can't find the URL right now.
                  HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Working...
                  X