Best PIR & Relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best PIR & Relay

First off I am supper happy with this plugin so far. I have my Oregon scientific weather measurement devices configured and as a bonus I worked out that my Somfy awnings were also compatible. I will be making the purchase as soon as my demo period is up.
    I am planning to use 433 PIRs and relays as z-wave is super expensive here in Australia. Can I get some direction on which PIRs & 220V floddlight relays are currently available on the market and what people are having success with?

A couple thoughts. Sonoff makes 433. MHz devices for PIR and also for relay. I have direct experience with the 4 channel relay model 4CH PRO. I have reprogrammed mine for WIFi to/from HS, but will work out of the box with 433 MHz RF.

Another technology I am very happy with is microwave radar rather than PIR. An out-of-box solution was around $7 for motion detection and relay in one unit. It is described toward end of http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf. Microwave radar does not have the sunlight/shade, blowing branches, or specific directional motion issues as does PIR. Water (people) and metal reflect the beam and will be sensed when moving using Doppler technology.

For PIR there is a nice small sensor using zigbee sold by Lowe’s under Iris name. Zigbee is RF with a $10 USB interface into HS. You will find battery life much better for zigbee than Zwave.

These May give you some ideas and may be segue to others via google search.

Comment

I'm also looking for a reliable motion sensor for outside. Battery-powered would be a plus. Maybe share some model names over here ?

Comment

Supported sensors by the RFXtrx433E and RFXtrx433XL are for example Kerui motion, curtain, D026 door/window sensors.
        https://kerui.aliexpress.com/store/g..._6036686.1_6_0
        https://kerui.aliexpress.com/store/g..._6036686.1_6_1

The D025 door/window sensor has only an open status while the D026 has an open/close status.

The Sonoff 4CH Pro R2 can be controlled by all RFXtrx433/E/XL. Create a RFXCOM Output device: SONOFF 4CH PRO
        https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SONO...916132713.html
        Note that there is also a Sonoff 4ch Pro without RF.

Comment

Originally posted by b_weijenberg View Post
          The Sonoff 4CH Pro R2 can be controlled by all RFXtrx433/E/XL..
          Does this have discreet on/off commands or is it a power toggle system?

Comment

The Sonoff 4CH Pro R2 has a toggle system when using 433MHz RF. You can configure the Sonoff so that only one relay is closed. I use this for example to open 3 sprinkler valves and only one valve 1, 2 or 3 is opened. If you control ch 1 all other are switched off and so on. I use ch 4 to switch off valve 1, 2 or 3.

Attached Files

Comment

The microwave radar has many options on Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...2231122&Se archText=microwave+radar+sensor
              The < $1 circuit boards work well but don't think they were designed for small battery operation with 3 ma operating current. They only provide a "dry contact" output so still need a means to integrate the output into whatever you are going to use. They have range adjustments, but only via replacement of part on the circuit board. I have never tried to modify the range as it is good as-is.

The one I put in service in a couple places is https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Micr...502aoOmlVW&amp ;ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10065_10068_10130 _10890_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10545_10696_453_10084_454_1 0083_10618_10307_538_537_536_10059_10884_10887_100031_321_32 2_10103-10890,searchweb201603_51,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=c6a96c79-c0d5-4df0-9b59-3fba95d4ba61-14&algo_pvid=c6a96c79-c0d5-4df0-9b59-3fba95d4ba61. Not battery compatible with 500 mw operating current. The adjustments on the device work well for range and lux. The intention is that this is used to control a light or similar heavy load based upon motion.

In one that I installed I put a little aluminum foil baffle to one side to prevent motion detection on that side. It is omnidirecctional and able to penetrate walls.

I am not aware of any that are weatherproof, but I did not look very hard.

The Iris one https://www.amazon.com/IRIS-USA-Inc-.../dp/B01GCKAF6K is battery operated, but does not have an weathproof level rating. I have it only for testing and have never installed it to assess real-world behavior.

What I installed outside, is battery operated and has better than 500 ft range between sensor and receiver. https://www.amazon.com/Dakota-Alert-.../dp/B00436XKXG. It works quite well. I change the battery once a year. It is my "somebody is coming down the road" warning. The receiver provides both audio and dry contact notification.

I also have https://www.harborfreight.com/wirele...tem-93068.html which works well too and also is a once a year battery. Range in this case is about 100 ft between sensor and receiver.

I have also used the outside version of DS10A X10. Lots of false alerts. One needs a RFXCOM or W800 interface to support X10 RF on the receiver side for this case. It is not one I recommend.

Does this have discreet on/off commands or is it a power toggle system?
              The RF is toggle. I has Tasmota firmware installed in mine so use WiFi and this gives the discrete on and off. I also have this used for irrigation control.

Comment

The RFXtrx433/E/XL can use X10 motion sensors but these are not available anymore.
                I have still a few MS13 motion sensors in use and they work fine without false triggers. A problem with this MS13 is when the battery becomes almost empty it transmits a RF noise signal and all other RF traffic is blocked during one day. This can be solved by changing the batteries in time.

The best option for the RFXtrx433 is to use the Kerui sensors.

Comment

Oh you can use the relay for sprinklers? That could have saved me a lot of money.
                  I have purchased some Keruis thanks!
                  So it is toggle only on rf? Is that reliable? Is there an option that has discreet commands?

Comment

I use the Sonoff 4CH Pro RF for 3 valves which are controlled by a RFXtrx433E and never had a problem.
                    As it can only use toggle with RF I use 3 relays and the 4th is used to switch of the others.
                    With events I toggle relay 1 and after 30 minutes I toggle relay 2. Relay 1 is automatically switched off by the Sonoff. After another 30 minutes relay 3 is toggled and relay 2 is switched off and after 30 minutes relay 4 is toggled and relay 3 is switched off. The final state is only relay 4 is on and 1, 2 and 3 are off.

If you need more vales to switch you can use more Sonoff 4CH Pro R2 units.

The RFXtrx433E can receive several rain sensors, for example Alecto WS1200, Oregon PCR800, RGR126N, TFA 30.3148

Comment

I agree with Bert that the Sonoff 4CH Pro units have reliable operation when in normal use.

When you start to use RF for things like irrigation you don't have a way to know if the relay was actually controlled. For example, the circuit breaker to the 4CH tripped, the power wire became loose or any other event such as might be a secondary effect of nearby lightning. With a light bulb that did not turn off it is no big deal. With an irrigation valve that does not then it becomes expensive and potentially dangerous. Likewise one that does not turn on can have damaging effect to the landscape.

The Sonoff 4CH also talks WiFi and through this mechanism can do both discrete commands and provide relay position confirmation during acknowledge or when requested.

Comment

Note that the Sonoff is not the only critical point. There are many, for example the water pump becomes defect, no water supply, the valve or sprinkler becomes defect, Homeseer system down or the WiFi connection is lost. My experience is that the Sonoff RF is a good solution and has never failed to control the valves for more than 2 years now.

If you really need to know if the sprinklers operate put a rain sensor in that area and you know if the sprinkler operates and how much water is supplied to that area.

Comment

Working...
                        X