Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Including Fibaro dimmer module

Hello.

I've recently taken the plunge into z-wave and have been impressed with the improvement over my x10 equipment. Over the past few weeks I have successfully added two z-wave appliance modules and a Fibaro 1x3KW switch with no issues whatsoever.

Today I installed a Fibaro dimmer module in my kitchen, and while I can control the lights locally using the momentary switch connected to the dimmer module (on/off/dim), I cannot get HomeSeer to see the new module at all.

I previously added the 1x3KW Fibaro switch module with no problems, but following exactly the same process for the dimmer doesn't work - I click on the switch 3 times (or press the B service button 3 times) to get the dimmer module to identify itself but Homeseer sees nothing when I try to use the Add Node function. I even tried using a USB extension cable so that the Homeseer z-wave controller stick was only a couple of feet from the Fibaro dimmer in case there was a range issue, but it still can't see the new module. I have tried 3 separate Fibaro dimmer modules and with exactly the same results, so I'm pretty sure it's not a faulty dimmer.

I can see 2 possibilities:

1. The Fibaro modules are not going into "learn" mode for some reason and therefore are not identifying themselves to the z-wave controller. (I have tried varying speeds for the 3 clicks needed to get into learn mode, with no success)

2. The modules are going into "learn mode", but they are not compatible with HomeSeer and/or the z-wave controller stick (unlikely given that I have successfully included the 1x3KW swtich a few days ago)

Does anyone with experience of using Fibaro modules with HomeSeer have any suggestions for additional diagnostics or other things I can try?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Julian

Originally posted by stuhlej View Post
    Hello.

I've recently taken the plunge into z-wave and have been impressed with the improvement over my x10 equipment. Over the past few weeks I have successfully added two z-wave appliance modules and a Fibaro 1x3KW switch with no issues whatsoever.

Today I installed a Fibaro dimmer module in my kitchen, and while I can control the lights locally using the momentary switch connected to the dimmer module (on/off/dim), I cannot get HomeSeer to see the new module at all.

I previously added the 1x3KW Fibaro switch module with no problems, but following exactly the same process for the dimmer doesn't work - I click on the switch 3 times (or press the B service button 3 times) to get the dimmer module to identify itself but Homeseer sees nothing when I try to use the Add Node function. I even tried using a USB extension cable so that the Homeseer z-wave controller stick was only a couple of feet from the Fibaro dimmer in case there was a range issue, but it still can't see the new module. I have tried 3 separate Fibaro dimmer modules and with exactly the same results, so I'm pretty sure it's not a faulty dimmer.

I can see 2 possibilities:

1. The Fibaro modules are not going into "learn" mode for some reason and therefore are not identifying themselves to the z-wave controller. (I have tried varying speeds for the 3 clicks needed to get into learn mode, with no success)

2. The modules are going into "learn mode", but they are not compatible with HomeSeer and/or the z-wave controller stick (unlikely given that I have successfully included the 1x3KW swtich a few days ago)

Does anyone with experience of using Fibaro modules with HomeSeer have any suggestions for additional diagnostics or other things I can try?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Julian

HI there.

what interface are you using?

How far away is the device from the interface?

Greig.
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

Hi Greig , thanks for your reply.

I'm using a Tricklestar USB stick, which is only located about 8 feet from the dimmer module. The other z-wave modules I successfully added before are much further away (between 15 and 40 feet away).

Thanks

Julian

Comment

Hi

I'm using the dimmers and other Fibaro items in general with Homeseer and no major problems

I have the Aeon Z-stick II as my zwave controller

They way I introduced into homeseer was:

1. Deattach the zstick from homesome seer and unplug from the computer
        2. Put the zstick in learning mode
        3. Press 3 times the service button on the micromodule so the zstick can learn its code
        4. Once the zstick has learned this micromodule, attach to computer and import the new module into homeseer

Thus homeseer can see the module and can manage this module from the computer

If you want HS to be informed from local changes made through instant switches you must associate HS to micromodule group 3.

Hope this helps

Comment

Although unlikely it may be that your dimmer is already included in another ZWave network. Try and see if there is a way to factory reset it and then try to include it again into your own ZWave network the 'normal' way.
          Nicolai L

Comment

@Juande thanks for your suggestion. I'm not sure if my Z-wave stick can work without being plugged in to a PC, but I'll check. I did read about z-tools in another thread and thought of installing that on a laptop and plugging the USB stick into the laptop so I could be right next to the dimmer. I'm away from home for a few days now, but I'll look into that possibility on my return if nothing else comes up in the meantime.

@NicolaiL again thanks for the idea. The Fibaro manual states that a reset can be performed by holding down the s1 key or service button for 3 seconds or more and I tried that several times yesterday, but that just seemed to dim the lights and didn't resolve the problem.

Other than z-tools are there any other diagnostic tools or utilities I can try to see what the problem is?

Thanks again for the responses so far, much appreciated.

Comment

It's not unusual, that a Z-Wave device has to be excluded be inclusion.

Exclusion will reset the module, even if it's not part of your net.

Regards
              Morten

Comment

Hi Morten, thanks for your reply. The same sequence of 3 clicks on the S1 or service button is supposed to exclude it if it's already included, so I'm not sure what else I can do to specifically try to exclude it.

Based on the responses so far, I'm going to try to install z-tools on my laptop and plug the USB controller stick into it so I can stand right next to the dimmer module and try the include that way. If it works, I believe I can then update HS from the controller stick after putting it back into my HS server.

I'll give this a go when I get back home in a couple of days time. Thanks again to all that have made suggestions so far - these look like fantastic modules and I'm encouraged by the fact that several of you seem to have them working with HS just fine.

Comment

I've got a few of these dimmers and in the past I've found 2 problems trying to include them:

One watch out (and to be fair it's in the instructions) is that if the connected switch is 'On' (swtich connected to S1 & Sx) then you can't set the module to include mode to add it to the network. Took me ages and a fair bit of head scratching to work that one out !

The newer modules I've got seem to need a much quicker sequence of pressing the service button 2 times than the old ones - and I mean really quick !

All were included by disconneting the Z-stick from the HS PC and taking it to the modules, press the button on the z-stick to get it ready to include and then put the dimmer modules into include mode. The Z-stick flashes to confirm. There's a different process to exclude modules - I believe you press and hold the button on the z-stick to exclude and then put the dimmer into inclusion mode as before.

Hope this helps - I'm a big fan of these dimmers as they're so versatile.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks for the additional suggestions kw1816.

The switch connected to Sx/S1 is a momentary contact switch, so I don't think I have an issue with it being on. However, you mention pressing the service button 2 times in quick succession - I thought it was 3? If it's only two that could very well be the problem!

Unfortunately my z-wave USB stick (a Trickestar unit) doesn't allow autonomous operation away from the PC, but once I get back home I'm going to try plugging it into a laptop and holding it next to the dimmer module as per my post above.

Comment

However, you mention pressing the service button 2 times in quick succession - I thought it was 3?
                      Did I say 2 times ? I did of course mean 3 times, as per the instructions

Comment

Been playing today with our own little setup... found some toggle momentary switches that work REALLY well imho

used S1 and S2 on the dimmer for up and down and changed parameter 14=2 take a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InR0keiMq3M

Comment

Bit gutted my 5050-30smd leds do not wok with it... looks like ill be replacing them with some cree bulbs!

Comment

Originally posted by deanrparry View Post
                            Bit gutted my 5050-30smd leds do not wok with it... looks like ill be replacing them with some cree bulbs!
                            For low consumption lamps, like leds, you should install the Fibaro Bypass FGB001

http://materialy.fibaro.com/instrukc...s%20FGB001.pdf

Comment

Got the bypass here does not work... wrong type of led bulb i think? something different with smd? or how it dims etc?

Comment

Working...
                              X