Discussions related to HS3 Beta build 3.0.0.449

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussions related to HS3 Beta build 3.0.0.449

Post any issues/questions/comments related to the HomeSeer Beta release 3.0.0.445 or later
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Installed and running without issue or error.

Reading the release notes, can you clarify or expand on:
    • Changed database saving to save less often
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Whenever there is a change to a device/event, we save that change to the database file, this happens on a schedule of every 2.5 seconds. It is not necessary to update the file so often and this could increase the possibility of corruption as well as wear on flash memory. Normally, HS does not change devices very often, but some plugins do, which causes a lot of saves. The data is saved whenever HS is shut down so there is little concern for loss. We only read the database file on startup.

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      Installed and running without issue or error.

Reading the release notes, can you clarify or expand on:
      • Changed database saving to save less often

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
        Whenever there is a change to a device/event, we save that change to the database file, this happens on a schedule of every 2.5 seconds. It is not necessary to update the file so often and this could increase the possibility of corruption as well as wear on flash memory. Normally, HS does not change devices very often, but some plugins do, which causes a lot of saves. The data is saved whenever HS is shut down so there is little concern for loss. We only read the database file on startup.
        In the event of a disorderly shutdown (trip over power cord, power failure, etc.) the database will not be updated. Several people are running a periodic event running this command "&hs.SaveEventsDevices". Would it be a good idea to run this periodically or does HS write to the database frequently enough that the database will be more or less current?

Comment

I would not rely on the database being anywhere near upto date. I have several instances of uncontrolled shutdowns losing changes that were made several days ago.
          This has been a long standing issue that I raised a bug report for several years ago and it is still an issue now. I am not alone, many others have reported it.

As a precaution, I save the database periodically using hs.backupDB().

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
            So was it happening every time a device changed or every 2.5 seconds or every 2.5 seconds only if a device had changed since the last save?

Also, is the above the current method or the old method? If it's the old method, how often do you save now, or is that what you meant by it's only saved when it's shutdown?

Comment

Rich,

In the last set of Betas you changed the option to let us select the order Plugins are loaded and you control this by changing the io_interfaces= line in the ini file.

Issue is, when a plugin is turned off and turned on (like I always do for updating them), it alters the line in the ini file and always puts it at the end of the line.

Is there a way to protect this?

My work around is to replace the ini file with my version before the system starts. My worry is that a new version of HS3 has a new line item in the ini file and I will miss it with my restore script.

Michael
              HS3Pro & HS4Pro on Win2012R2
              Aeotec, Cooper, Cree, GE/Jasco, Intermatic, LIFX, Fortrezz, OSRAM, RCS, Trane, Zooz
              BLBackup, BLGData, BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch, InvisaLink, HSBuddy, IFTTT, JowiHue, NetCAM, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Random, rnbWeather, UltraLighting3, weatherXML, ZigBee, Z-Wave

Comment

In the event of a disorderly shutdown (trip over power cord, power failure, etc.) the database will not be updated. Several people are running a periodic event running this command "&hs.SaveEventsDevices". Would it be a good idea to run this periodically or does HS write to the database frequently enough that the database will be more or less current?
                I run this command every minute...
                HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                  I run this command every minute...
                  I understand. I was just hoping Rich would let us know how often HS does this save on its own. From what he posted one could infer that the data is only saved at shutdown.
                  Originally posted by rjh
                  The data is saved whenever HS is shut down so there is little concern for loss. We only read the database file on startup.

Comment

The other day I accidentally shut down down my VM without shutting down homeseer first. I lost an event that was created at least a year ago. When I re-entered the name part of the event actions actually showed back up. A database should never be opened with write permissions unless you are actually writing something to it. Are the logs written to the same database as the devices and events? I agree that something is not Kosher with the database.
                    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
                      The other day I accidentally shut down down my VM without shutting down homeseer first. I lost an event that was created at least a year ago. When I re-entered the name part of the event actions actually showed back up. A database should never be opened with write permissions unless you are actually writing something to it. Are the logs written to the same database as the devices and events? I agree that something is not Kosher with the database.
                      The HS log is a single file. The events and devices are in a separate database.

Comment

I still have some memory issues with .445 on Windows 10 with April Update (1803).
                        Before 1803 was installed version .435 behaved excellent. After the 1803 update it could only run for 24-36 hours before the "out of memory" errors occured.

Now with .445 it's up to almost 48 hours, but it's still not what it used to be. But it's still much better!

Others have no problem with the 1803 update, but I had problems with the HS3 server and the PRTG server. I tried creating a brand new Windows 10 server for HS3, but it has the same issues as the old. Now I'm setting up a Windows 7 machine to see if it's my HS3 setup or the OS.

Any other ideas?
                        I'm getting desperate, it's been like this for almost two weeks.

WHY OH WHY does the thread climb?! It didn't before!
                        Here's the log for the past year. As you can see, the thread count (and even memory usage) has been fairly stable. Until now.
                        It seems that some threads aren't reused problely or not terminated...

Some info from the Task Manager:
                        Last edited by Moskus; June 11, 2018, 02:49 AM.
                        HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                        Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                        on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                        WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

I really don't know what to say about these memory issue reports. We have it running on many systems here, Windows 10 and Linux, and our Windows systems are updated to the latest. We are not seeing any memory issues.

So my suggestions would be:

1) A clean install of Windows, lots of work, but it would rule out an issue with Windows having a leak due to other apps corrupting DLL's, etc.

2) Disable all plugins and scripts and see if memory is stable, then start installing stuff until you see memory climbing. This can also be a lot of work and sometimes memory just climbs with random changes and no conclusion can be met.

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                          I still have some memory issues with .445 on Windows 10 with April Update (1803).
                          Before 1803 was installed version .435 behaved excellent. After the 1803 update it could only run for 24-36 hours before the "out of memory" errors occured.

Now with .445 it's up to almost 48 hours, but it's still not what it used to be. But it's still much better!

Others have no problem with the 1803 update, but I had problems with the HS3 server and the PRTG server. I tried creating a brand new Windows 10 server for HS3, but it has the same issues as the old. Now I'm setting up a Windows 7 machine to see if it's my HS3 setup or the OS.

Any other ideas?
                          I'm getting desperate, it's been like this for almost two weeks.

WHY OH WHY does the thread climb?! It didn't before!
                          Here's the log for the past year. As you can see, the thread count (and even memory usage) has been fairly stable. Until now.
                          It seems that some threads aren't reused problely or not terminated...

Some info from the Task Manager:

Comment

Logs go to a different file. The latest HS3 now writes far less often, so hopefully this will help.

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post

Comment

Data was being saved every 2.5 seconds (if there was something to save). Now it only saves every 1 minute and at shutdown. So if you create a device, then pull the power before the next 1 minute save, you will lose that data. So I would not do that!

I understand. I was just hoping Rich would let us know how often HS does this save on its own. From what he posted one could infer that the data is only saved at shutdown.

Comment

Working...
                              X