Latest recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest recommendation

Buying a new house soon; and can pic whatever thermostats we want. What are people's latest recommendations? Nest? Zwave? Wifi? Brands?

We have some zWave ones now--
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

I would recommend the Ecobee3. It works great and looks great.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      I would recommend the Ecobee3. It works great and looks great.
      +1
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

It does look fantastic. How is the integration with HS-- I see a plugin....

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

I'm in the market for a remote thermostat, since I've upgraded our attic and upper floor wall insulation I expect the main floor differential to be substantial.

I want to avoid any cloud dependent solutions - I despise anything that cannot run independent of a 3rd party. And abhor smart TVs, Alexa and tools that share my privacy for convenience.

Anyone care to elaborate this and other offerings?

Comment

i also just bought a new home, and I picked the Ecobee3. I'm not entirely thrilled that it requires a cloud service to control, but the other features were enough to convince me to buy it. Spud's plugin works great, and there is a well documented public API for it.

This was not an easy decision for me, and I have heavily invested in the past in RadioThermostat devides (both Z-Wave and WiFi) and even developed an HS2 plugin for the WiFi versions. I have vowed to never give that company another dollar after nearly all of the thermostats died on me. It didn't seem to matter which model, or what type of radio they had. They were all garbage. I'm replacing a Z-Wave CT-100 in a second house soon because it quit communicating. That's about 8 RT thermostats that died.

The Ecobee3 has been reliable for me over the last couple of months, and I like that it has a power converter to compensate for the lack of a C wire to my original thermostat. The remote sensors are pretty good also, though I wish they reported occupancy quicker. I'll be adding additional room sensors to use for occupancy events in HomeSeer. But the thermostat itself so far works great.

I decided on the Ecobee3 after reading dozens of reviews of it and other thermostats. I specifically bought the 3 after seeing review of how the Ecobee4 Alexa functionality could conflict with existing Amazon Echo devices in the home.
            HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
            Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
            Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
            Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

My decision process was remarkably like Reid's, as were my reasons for choosing the Ecobee3. The cloud connection is required for communication with HS and for "intelligent" adjustments, but otherwise the tstats are pretty conventional in the way they work. The remote sensors are a big plus for me and were important to my decision. Spud's plug-in was easy to set up and has been trouble free, as have the tstats themselves.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

It looks like a pretty good system. WAF looks high. I like the little bees you can put around to help better balance the temperature.

I like how the 4 has an Alexa built in. If it is centrally located that makes some sense.

It looks like the Ecobee3 Lite is relatively affordable and now has all the features of the 3. I will have two main zones that do both heating and cooling; and heating zones in the garage, above the garage, and basement.

That is 5 thermostats; not sure I want to get Ecobees for all 5. Does the thing turn other thermostats on and off to help balance everything?

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                  It looks like a pretty good system. WAF looks high. I like the little bees you can put around to help better balance the temperature.
                  I will have two main zones that do both heating and cooling; and heating zones in the garage, above the garage, and basement. That is 5 thermostats; not sure I want to get Ecobees for all 5. Does the thing turn other thermostats on and off to help balance everything?
                  I don't think so. The EcoBees can talk to one another, but will have no effect on other thermostats. You could probably use in-line relays to allow HS to turn other zones on or off, though.

Comment

We have a Nest and love it
                    Cheers,
                    Bob
                    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Working...
                    X