Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new take on RFID

Hi All

Just got back from CEDIA and saw an impressive demo of RFID on the Crestrn booth using NFC. Of course, as with everything Crestron, its called something else: AirConnect.

rather than putting expensive readers everywhere that have to be physically connected to some central system, Creston's solution uses $1 self-adhesive NFC tags that you can put anywhere (e.g. on the back of a light switch cover). When you swipe your NFC enabled phone over the sticker, it uses the phones Wifi to relay the information back to the central server and do wahtever is supposed to be done (e.g unlock door, turn on lights, etc.).

Would be great to have NFC support in HSTouch, and configure it so that reading a sticker would send back a sticker ID and user ID and then run a script that would do something location and user specific. For example, if I come home, unlock door, turn on lights, play my favorite music. If my wife comes home, unlock door, turn on lights, remind her to empty dishwasher (just joking).

Obviously, this won't work for things like opening the garage when pulling into drive, but would be great for most other things

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by mark_anderson_us; September 11, 2012, 12:24 PM.

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
    HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
    2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
    USB UIRT
    Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
    WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
    HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
    2GIG Thermostat
    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
    BLUPS
    UltraLog (SQL2008)
    Jon00 Plugins
    Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
    Global Cache IP2IR
    Foscam FI8918W

Interesting. My Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket came with NFC and the ICS release of android lets it be used at OS level between 2 phones when you touch them. It will be interesting to see this play out for HA when the tags are that cheap.
    Paul

Comment

Working...
    X