Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HomeSeer SmartHome Skill (Alexa Version 3 API)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is for discussions related to the new Amazon Alexa V3 API. This skill is now live in the Alexa app and is named "HomeSeer SmartHome Skill".

The new features available with this skill are documented here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180033
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Will we need to restart/update HomerSeer to see the new features to set for lights?

Edit: I don't find 3.0.0.398 even after a restart.
    Last edited by Dan-O; January 21, 2018, 09:32 PM.
    Dan-O
    HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Following
      Hector
      MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Hi
        is this available in Canada ! yet.
        Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by sirbooker View Post
          Hi
          is this available in Canada ! yet.
          Paul.
          yes

Comment

Thank you, updating the ControlUse values made my lock and thermostats discoverable. It is great now having Alexa enabled groups work properly! Hooray!

Any feedback on why routines were not used and scenes were? Well, I suppose I should first back up and ask if the API allows exposing items as routines in the first place.

Having to say "Alexa, turn on <Event voice command>" feels a lot less natural language sounding than the "Alexa, <custom string>" that routines allow for.

Example...

"Alexa, I'm taking a shower" ...if I were to make the event voice command "I'm taking a shower."

vs

"Alexa, turn on taking a shower"

If you want to fire an event that turns items off does that mean you're still telling Alexa to turn on something that turns off stuff?

Great job getting this out, it certainly is a welcome update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post
              Thank you, updating the ControlUse values made my lock and thermostats discoverable. It is great now having Alexa enabled groups work properly! Hooray!

Any feedback on why routines were not used and scenes were? Well, I suppose I should first back up and ask if the API allows exposing items as routines in the first place.

Having to say "Alexa, turn on <Event voice command>" feels a lot less natural language sounding than the "Alexa, <custom string>" that routines allow for.

Example...

"Alexa, I'm taking a shower" ...if I were to make the event voice command "I'm taking a shower."

vs

"Alexa, turn on taking a shower"

If you want to fire an event that turns items off does that mean you're still telling Alexa to turn on something that turns off stuff?

Great job getting this out, it certainly is a welcome update!

haa i see what you mean.
              I think it allows us some flexibility to keep it as a scene. But like you surely already thought of, you have to add a step for this to work as you want ( just create a routine with the trigger phrase you want and set the scene as the action).

Your exemple of the shower is quite good.. haha, that make me think about some automatisation i can create. And with the alexa helper from Jon00...it is almost limitless!

Comment

Originally posted by Summerguy View Post

I think it allows us some flexibility to keep it as a scene. But like you surely already thought of, you have to add a step for this to work as you want ( just create a routine with the trigger phrase you want and set the scene as the action).

That's fair. You could even create a routine that controls multiple scenes (events) if you wanted to.

My frustration with Amazon right now for routines is the inability to add a skills to a routine. Something as simple as adding a thunder sound skill to the end if a goodnight scene is impossible today. :/

Comment

I've disabled the skill and added the SmartHome skill, it's now no longer discovering any of my devices. The account is linked but I no longer get the devices and the HS log is not logging the "Amazon Echo Discovery requested, version: 2" type messages any more - it seems to say it works in the UK but I don't seem to get anything.

I'm running .404 HS beta.

Comment

Should the original Homeseer skill be disabled before enabling the new Homeseer SmartHome skill?

Is there a need for both?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Yes, I would not run both. I suspect things will not work if they are both enabled. You can enable the "tell homeseer..." skill and the SmartHome skill at the same time.

I am not sure why Amazon is leaving the V2 skill available, we are looking into that and are trying to get it removed. It just adds confusion.

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                      Should the original Homeseer skill be disabled before enabling the new Homeseer SmartHome skill?

Is there a need for both?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Note that the new skill is server based, so you won't see the discovery message in the HS log. Make sure the original skill is disabled. If no devices are found, send a message to support@homeseer.com with your MyHS login ID so we can investigate.

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
                        I've disabled the skill and added the SmartHome skill, it's now no longer discovering any of my devices. The account is linked but I no longer get the devices and the HS log is not logging the "Amazon Echo Discovery requested, version: 2" type messages any more - it seems to say it works in the UK but I don't seem to get anything.

Comment

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post

Same here. I have only the V3 skill enabled and linked. MyHS is connected to my system. I only have a handful of devices voice enabled, the same devices that were working under V2. They are set for all users and have the proper control use set. 3 dimmers, 2 switches, 2 thermostats and 2 locks. I deleted all of the devices under V2, before enabling V3. None of the devices are discovered either manually or automatically over 2 days.
                            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Could you please create a real documentation page. with detailed explanations.
                              The link that is referred in the top is not a documentation.

I have read ALOT on the forum and see many people are confused about what to call their devices (My self included).

When i location 1 and 2 used.

Just a quick example.
                              I only use location 1.
                              I have a light called 'table light' and this has location 1 as 'Bedroom'
                              Then is should be able to turn this on by saying 'Alexa, turn on bedroom table light'. But that device is not found.
                              I have to rename my light to 'Bedroom Table Light' and still have location 1 as 'Bedroom'.
                              The problem with this is, i cannot 'lock' a Echo Dot, to the bedroom and when talking to the bedroom echo, just say 'Alexa, turn on table light'.

Why shall i tell the name of the room if Alexa is in the bedroom. I have table lights in almost every room.

I know that Alexa in a group can turn on all lights in that group, by saying 'Alexa, turn on lights'. But i dont want that.

i also dont know how to turn a Hue light red or any color, because there is no documentation about what the phrases is for that.

Do i make sence.
                              i have just started with Alexa and love the idea of her controlling stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X