HomeSeer Message Board

HomeSeer Message Board (http://board.homeseer.com/index.php)
-   User Interface Discussion (http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1320)
-   -   Yet another mobile app (http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=179625)

avargaskun February 8th, 2016 11:38 PM

Yet another mobile app

One of my New Year's resolutions was to write my first mobile app. After thinking for a while about what app to write, I ended up with yet another mobile app for HomeSeer. The motivation for the app was to come up with something that was clean and straightforward - to get in and out of the app very quickly. After a while I realized I was using the app regularly and I thought maybe it would be useful for other people here as well.

Update

You can now get the HSBuddy for:
  • iOS: from the App Store
  • Android: from the Play Store
  • HS3: go to the plug-in management page on your HS3 server and look under User Interfaces

https://i.imgur.com/aqKiRGk.png https://i.imgur.com/bnUN82E.png

Some of the features available include:
  • Explore and control devices (turn on the lights, open your garage door)
  • List and run events
  • View history of device state changes *
  • Monitor your home cameras **
  • Create shortcuts on your home launcher
  • Receive push notifications *
  • Browse your HomeSeer controller logs *
  • Connect to your server directly (WiFi) or remotely (via MyHomeSeer). You can setup both connection types and HSBuddy will choose the best available connection.

* Requires installing the HSBuddy HS3 plug-in on your server
** Compatible with certain HS3 camera plug-ins

For more information and troubleshooting help, go to http://hsbuddy.avglabs.net

Some screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/PhDPtJe.png

Automated February 9th, 2016 02:35 AM

Looks nice. I would have a go with it.

spknapp February 9th, 2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avargaskun (Post 1226743)
... Only compatible with iOS at the moment - I will have a version up for Android soon if there's interest ...

+1 for Android

langenet February 9th, 2016 09:45 AM

+1 as well for Android!

Looks nice!:)

TeleFragger February 9th, 2016 11:40 AM

+1 android

ckellyusa February 9th, 2016 12:21 PM

+1 for Windows Phone 10 :D

LeoS February 9th, 2016 01:15 PM

Very nice!

+1 android :)

Mr_Resistor February 9th, 2016 01:43 PM

+1 for Android.

jlrichar February 9th, 2016 02:15 PM

Looks great!

If you make an HS plugin to integrate with, any chance you can add client devices to HS? For example have devices in homeseer for iPhone battery level, free space remaining, or if an update is pending. Also, receiving notifications directly from the plugin on the iPhone would be nice.

Another wish would be--all the same plus more client devices for a windows universal app.

Very cool!

srodgers February 9th, 2016 04:50 PM

I am interested in testing the IOS version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sirmeili February 9th, 2016 05:10 PM

Question (since I was planning on maybe at some point writing my own app), how do you handle complex "devices" if at all?

For instance, while planning mine out, I was thinking of having a generic "thermostat" device that you could assign multiple HS devices to for things like Heat set point ,cool set point, fan, mode, etc. I think while this will take some extra up front config, it gives the user some of the customization of HSTouch, without having to do the HSTouch designer stuff (and obviously limiting the design aspect).

Also, do you just return all Devices, or do you give the option to "hide" devices? I have a lot of devices I will never have a need to show on the mobile platform. On mine, i was going to have the user actually "add" devices that they wanted to show instead of showing them all.

Oh, and +1 on the android app. I'm always willing to try something new :)

Vincenttor February 9th, 2016 05:24 PM

looks nice and clean
+1 for Android indeed :o

jayman13 February 9th, 2016 10:42 PM

I'd like to try IOS. Looks cool.

avargaskun February 11th, 2016 03:37 AM

The functionality for devices and events should be as those just use the JSON API. The camera functionality uses a custom ASPX page which I think should be Linux compatible. The goal is to eventually evolve the page into a fully featured plug in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedr (Post 1226755)
Looks great! And sooooo much nicer than HS3Touch!

I'm definitely willing to test, but -- is it Linux compatible?

avargaskun February 11th, 2016 03:56 AM

Thanks for the comments! I'll be spending this weekend getting the Android version up and running, stay tuned :)

Regarding complex devices, that is the long term goal. Initially for thermostats to match the functionality in HSTouch. Other complex type I have in mind are music devices (i.e. Sonos speakers). The app does understand devices that are related (parent/child/sibling) but it only uses that information right now to display battery status (it will show battery status next to any device that has a sibling of battery type, so you don't have to show the battery device itself in the list).

The app respects the setting to 'hide device from views' that is built-in to HomeSeer. You can get to that setting from your HomeSeer server webpage, in the detailed view you get after clicking on the name of a device. You can also add or remove that setting from multiple devices in bulk by selecting one or more devices in your HomeSeer server homepage and using the drop down at the top left corner (hide/unhide). There's a setting in the app to show 'all' hidden devices, but I thought individual device visibility management was better suited to the webpage since the functionality was already built in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirmeili (Post 1226880)
Question (since I was planning on maybe at some point writing my own app), how do you handle complex "devices" if at all?

For instance, while planning mine out, I was thinking of having a generic "thermostat" device that you could assign multiple HS devices to for things like Heat set point ,cool set point, fan, mode, etc. I think while this will take some extra up front config, it gives the user some of the customization of HSTouch, without having to do the HSTouch designer stuff (and obviously limiting the design aspect).

Also, do you just return all Devices, or do you give the option to "hide" devices? I have a lot of devices I will never have a need to show on the mobile platform. On mine, i was going to have the user actually "add" devices that they wanted to show instead of showing them all.

Oh, and +1 on the android app. I'm always willing to try something new :)

avargaskun February 11th, 2016 04:11 AM

Thanks for the comments! Notifications is definitely something I plan to look into in the future. Same as releasing a Windows universal app.

The idea of adding devices to HomeSeer is interesting. I've been using the Ultramon3 plug in from Ultrajones to track status of several devices connected to my home network and trigger events based on that. It's a pretty reliable way to detect when I turn my TV on/off, or when one of my IP cameras loses wifi connection for example. But I can see how it'd be useful to expose even more information out of some devices. I'll keep that in mind :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlrichar (Post 1226852)
Looks great!

If you make an HS plugin to integrate with, any chance you can add client devices to HS? For example have devices in homeseer for iPhone battery level, free space remaining, or if an update is pending. Also, receiving notifications directly from the plugin on the iPhone would be nice.

Another wish would be--all the same plus more client devices for a windows universal app.

Very cool!

reidfo February 11th, 2016 08:53 AM

I'm interested in testing the iOS version as well. Great job!

martinisoft February 11th, 2016 10:38 AM

Looks very nice!
Not sure if it is realy that simple since I am not a developer, but Microsoft is stating that they made it easy to port an IOS or Android app to a Windows Universal App. Would you consider doing this? At the moment we Windows Phone users have only one option, and this is InControl. InControl is not to bad but development seems to have stopped and it lacs cool features like viewing Cams.

thanks in advance for your response,

Martijn.

jbbtex February 11th, 2016 08:21 PM

avargaskun,

The app is working fine, however it seems really slow. I'm assuming that is because of the number of devices and events that I have (615 & 375).

I don't need all of my devices on the app and I know if I "hide" them in HS they won't show up in HSBuddy. However, a lot of the devices I wouldn't need in your app, I do need in HSTouch, so the "hide" wouldn't work for me.

Another thing, because of the number of devices it takes some time to find the specific device I want to control.

All that aside, I like it.

jayman13 February 11th, 2016 09:26 PM

I like it as well. I'd like to see collapsable floors as I feel it takes to long to scroll through all the devices I have. I like the favorites feature a lot though.