Evohome Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evohome Plugin

Does anyone have any intention of writing a plugin free or paid that actually works? a few of us have paid for IP Thermostat and it is useless for Evohome and to be honest should be pulled from it as the developer cannot even test it properly and does not respond to messages on threads.

Many thanks...

I like to write my own plug-ins where practical / possible so that I have full control over my system but I don't generally release them publicly because I don't have the time to support them and I'm not that interested in a financial return as I enjoy the challenge.

Being an Evohome user I have created a basic plug-in to work with it.

At present the plug-in is only for my own use therefore is rough round the edges (to say the least) and doesn't have a GUI for configuration.

My system consists of a single controller and 16 rad valves. I don't have the hot water module or any other accessories so have not tested these.

Currently the plug-in can retrieve the set point and current temperature of each rad valve, change the set point of each rad valve and activate quick actions which is all I wanted it to do.

I may be tempted to create a GUI for it and test with other Evohome modules / options if you are willing to test it.

I can't give a definite time frame but it would likely be weeks, not months.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Paul..

Comment

Have messaged you... But slightly off topic have you had any hr92uk valves fail yet? Had one die with error 3 if memory serves correctly and it was out of warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrparry View Post
        Have messaged you... But slightly off topic have you had any hr92uk valves fail yet? Had one die with error 3 if memory serves correctly and it was out of warranty.
        Of the 16 valves I have, only 3 are the newer HR92's the rest are all HR80's. To date, I've only had 1 HR80 fail (also with an error 3 as I recall) which was actually out of warranty by a good few months but was replaced with an HR92 free of charge.

I can't remember when I first installed the HR80's but they were originally part of a Hometronic system. The Hometronic controller failed about a year ago and I replaced it with the Evohome controller and re-commissioned all the existing valves.

Only slight caveat with the change to Eveohome is that it's limited to 12 zones where the Hometronic was 16 I think. I know I could add another controller but to save hassle I just grouped some rooms into a single zone.

Paul..

Comment

One of my best purchases the evohome.. tried nest and a few others!

I just find the development team behind Honeywell to be a bit unwilling to fix small bugs etc... I have reported a couple already

But from an economic perspective I found nothing better.

Comment

Individual room zoning (originally with Hometronic then with Evohome) was one of the best things we did here.

Our house was originally built in 1870 which I assume was a time when bricks were cheap and insulation either didn't exist or was far to expensive to use. We have made a lot of improvements to the insulation over the years but it's still a long way off a modern house's energy efficiency.

We originally had 2 zones (upstairs and downstairs) but by far the biggest issue here was the difference in temperature between rooms on the north of the house and those on the south. Using standard thermostatic valves meant that the main floor stat would have to be set at 30 to get the north facing rooms at a comfortable temperature.

Re-sizing radiators appropriately and using a zoned control system like EvoHome made all the difference to comfort levels.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
              Individual room zoning (originally with Hometronic then with Evohome) was one of the best things we did here.

Our house was originally built in 1870 which I assume was a time when bricks were cheap and insulation either didn't exist or was far to expensive to use. We have made a lot of improvements to the insulation over the years but it's still a long way off a modern house's energy efficiency.

We originally had 2 zones (upstairs and downstairs) but by far the biggest issue here was the difference in temperature between rooms on the north of the house and those on the south. Using standard thermostatic valves meant that the main floor stat would have to be set at 30 to get the north facing rooms at a comfortable temperature.

Re-sizing radiators appropriately and using a zoned control system like EvoHome made all the difference to comfort levels.

Paul..

Comment

Paul, I'm also interested in your p/i. I have a single controller on a combi and 9 zones. Your p/i does all I would need and even without support, it would be more useful than the 'IP Thermostat' p/i.

If you willing to release it, I'm happy to do any testing you need.

Cheers
                Scott

Comment

Update

As I mentioned previously, as the plug-in has been for my own use only there was very little in the way of a user interface because most of it was hard coded to suit my requirements.

I have started working on the UI but it's a time consuming process

Initially the plug-in will work with a single Honeywell TCC account although it will support multiple locations within that account. Until I'm able to get some feedback from users, it will only support configurations of (controller + HRXX rad valves).

It will poll the TCC account at a user defined interval to obtain the current system state and update HS3 devices accordingly.

It will allow changing of set points and setting of quick actions from HS3.

I have yet to figure out just how HS3 devices will work but my initial thoughts are that there will be 2 distinct device groups.

1. Locations
                  These will represent a single Evohome controller (location) and will consist of a root device and a few child devices to show various information about the controller and allow setting of quick actions.

2. Zones
                  These will represent each rad valve (or combination of valve and external temp sensor) and will consist of a root and several child devices.

Current Temperature - Will show the measured zone temperature which may be from the valve or external sensor.

Set Point - As it's name suggests this will show the current zone set point and allow adjustment between the min and max values for that zone.

As Evohome users will be aware, you can override a scheduled set point at any time and choose either to make that change permanent or have it only apply until a given date / time when the zone will then revert to it's schedule. I need to think about how best to achieve this functionality in the HS3 UI and event actions.

I hope to have something available for testing within the next week or so.

Paul..

Comment

Cheers Paul, that sounds marvelous.

Comment

Yes, sounds very good. Especially overriding a scheduled set point for a given time.

In the past there was a different URL for US and EU TCC. The function also different. I hope Honeywell has changed this. Does anyone know?

Regards, Luuc.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Comment

Excellent news Paul!

Luuc: EU / US is still a different url and different portal.

Regards,
                        John

Comment

Did this progress at all ? I've just been searching for a way to get UK/EU Evohome data into HS.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by kw1816 View Post
                            Did this progress at all ? I've just been searching for a way to get UK/EU Evohome data into HS.

Kevin
                            Yes, it progressed into a plug-in that I think can be described as a "finished product".

There are only a handful of folks using the plug-in because I never publicly announced it for a couple of reasons:
                            1. I can't guarantee that I'll always be able to provide support to users in a timely manner.
                            2. I once got my fingers burned announcing a free plug-in on this board when there were paid for offerings doing much the same thing.

Drop me a PM or an email if you would like more info on the plug-in.

Paul..

Comment

Thanks Paul, you have a PM

Comment

Working...
                              X