RFXCOM lan device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFXCOM lan device

Does this device exist anymore? I was thinking on expanding but cannot find the LAN version of the RFXCOM receiver...
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

The RFXLAN is no longer in the catalogue. Maybe later.

You use an RFXrec433, RFXtrx315 or RFX433E and connect it to a Raspberry PI with socat.
    Linux cmd: socat tcp-listen:10001,fork,reuseaddr file:/dev/rfxcom,raw &

You can now connect the RFXCOM over LAN port 10001

Comment

Well... that's too bad. I suppose I could also just use a USB LAN device as well. I'm looking to simplify as best as possible. The less complicated, the less to maintain.

Thanks,

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Yes, a LAN-USB hub can be used if the OS supports this device.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a LAN-USB adapter? I see some that plug into a usb and have LAN support. Essentially, I just want to plug a unit into my switch and service a USB connection to the RFXCOM receiver....

Comment

The RFXCOM USB has a FTDI FT232 interface and the LAN-USB hub must be able to support this.

Comment

I have one of the RFXCom LAN devices that I might part with, but you would have to wait a few weeks as I am on business travel. PM me if interested.

Comment

That makes that easy... PM sent!

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                  Can anyone recommend a LAN-USB adapter? I see some that plug into a usb and have LAN support. Essentially, I just want to plug a unit into my switch and service a USB connection to the RFXCOM receiver....
                  I have two separate RFXCOM devices on two of these USB to LAN adapters http://www.silexamerica.com/products.../sx-ds-4000u2/.

One RFXtrx433E and one older RFXtrx433.

Comment

Originally posted by mfreese View Post
                    I have two separate RFXCOM devices on two of these USB to LAN adapters http://www.silexamerica.com/products.../sx-ds-4000u2/.

One RFXtrx433E and one older RFXtrx433.
                    Thanks... good to know! They also sell a single port version for a good price.

@Automated, b_weijenberg does the device support a virtual com port or how is this device accessed?
                    Last edited by langenet; March 6, 2015, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
                      I have one of the RFXCom LAN devices that I might part with, but you would have to wait a few weeks as I am on business travel. PM me if interested.
                      I wonder if you had a chance to review???

Thanks

Comment

Would be great if there again will be a rfxcom lan interface which had the same functionality as the usb RFXrec433. (now it isn't) And yes of course there are lan-usb interfaces , but the more extra (not needed) devices the less stable it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by b_weijenberg View Post
                          The RFXLAN is no longer in the catalogue. Maybe later.

You use an RFXrec433, RFXtrx315 or RFX433E and connect it to a Raspberry PI with socat.
                          Linux cmd: socat tcp-listen:10001,fork,reuseaddr file:/dev/rfxcom,raw &

You can now connect the RFXCOM over LAN port 10001
                          Bert, I tried this and got these errors in my log:

Nov-10 12:18:01 AM RFXCOM 29 (CheckTransceivers) transceiver #2 info: resynced
                          Nov-10 12:18:01 AM RFXCOM Error: 29 (CheckTransceivers) packet timeout transceiver #2 State:21
                          Nov-10 12:17:55 AM RFXCOM 29 (CheckTransceivers) transceiver #2 info: resynced
                          Nov-10 12:17:55 AM RFXCOM Error: 29 (CheckTransceivers) packet timeout transceiver #2 State:21
                          Nov-10 12:17:53 AM RFXCOM 29 (CheckTransceivers) transceiver #2 info: resynced
                          Nov-10 12:17:53 AM RFXCOM Error: 29 (CheckTransceivers) packet timeout transceiver #2 State:21
                          /dev/rfxcom is /dev/ttyUSB0 in my case, and it's the only USB device connected to the Pi. I have tried disconnecting and replugging the Rfxtrx433 and I still get these errors.

Edit:

This is the line that worked for me:

/usr/bin/socat FILE:/dev/ttyUSB0,b38400,raw TCP-LISTEN:10001,fork,reuseaddr &

then stash it in /etc/rc.local
                          Last edited by LeoS; November 9, 2015, 01:23 PM.
                          HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

This is the line that worked for me:

/usr/bin/socat FILE:/dev/ttyUSB0,b38400,raw TCP-LISTEN:10001,fork,reuseaddr &

then stash it in /etc/rc.local

Update:
                            For some reason this solution is not reliable on my system. It seems to disconnect within 24 hours and doesn't properly reconnect.

I'm using this with 3 RFXtrx433, 3 raspberry pis and they all run socat exposing the rfxtrx as raw stream on port 10001. I had all three running quite solid with Digi USBAnywhere before this, but I prefer a driver-less solution if socat/raw connection is supported by the RFXCOM HS3 plugin.

Update 2:

Switched all 3 to ser2net. We'll see how it goes.

To install:
                            1. apt-get install ser2net
                            2. edit /etc/ser2net.conf with your favorite text editor (vi, nano, etc)
                            3. you can comment out the 4 ports that ser2net opens
                            4. add this line: 10001:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB0:38400,NONE,1STOPBIT,8DATABITS
                            5. Run ser2net : /etc/init.d/ser2net start
                            6. adjust the settings on hs3 side to point to the new ip/ports.

Update 3: So far so good. It maintains connection so much better than socat and for some reason is also more responsive than socat on my setup.

Final update... 3 weeks later, and it's really solid and responsive. Really happy with the performance of this.
                            Last edited by LeoS; December 9, 2015, 01:20 PM.
                            HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Act this moment I am also testing a rfxtrx433 connectie through WiFi. I am using a TP-link MR3020 with ser2net connected to my HS3 wifi network.
                              The first impressionist are looping good, but I am also seeing the resync error in my HS3 log.

29 (CheckTransceivers) packet timeout transceiver #2 State:21

I don't know of these massages are a problem, but the rfxtrx keeps working for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X