Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Clever' Scripts or Events to send Low Battery Notifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Clever' Scripts or Events to send Low Battery Notifications?

Anyone using using anything clever to send email or PushOver notifications when 'low battery' is detected? I know I can make several, separate events, but I have 22 devices... trying to avoid that!

thx

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
    Anyone using using anything clever to send email or PushOver notifications when 'low battery' is detected? I know I can make several, separate events, but I have 22 devices... trying to avoid that!

thx
    I don't know about 'clever' but using SDJ-Health you only need 1 event to send Pushover or email alerts when any of your monitored battery devices has an issue. All reporting is through the root device which reports the nature of the alert and the device raising the alert. The root can also show a short report of all devices that have issues or a full report of the status of all the monitored devices. Including the root device string in your message shows whichever report is selected.

Page 3 of the guide shows examples. I actually use 2 events for convenience although you can wrap them into one. The main event is triggered any time an issue is raised and sends a pushover message with the nature of the event and the name of the device that raised the alert. The second event then sends me an email with a full report of the status of all my monitored devices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Event.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1196961
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd Event.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1196962

In the messages 1597 is the RefID of the SDH-Health root device so needs to be set to your particular ID.

The alert may be a missed wake-up, low battery, high discharge rate, or battery life exceeded. By splitting into two events like this you could give the second event a time trigger so that you also get an email every day or week with a full report of the status (battery levels etc) of your monitored devices.

One other advantage is that if you add or remove battery devices you don't have to reconfigure events because they are all handled through the single SDJ-Health root device.

Steve

Comment

There is a script floating around the board that will go through all of your battery devices and email you a report. I have mine to run every Friday at 4p and it's pretty handy.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
        There is a script floating around the board that will go through all of your battery devices and email you a report. I have mine to run every Friday at 4p and it's pretty handy.
        A script like that is generally a good solution and obviously lighter weight than a plugin.

However, the main advantage of SDJ-Health is it can alert you as soon as a device stops waking up, indicating the batteries have died. So, you arent just reliant on reported battery levels.
        I have devices that only ever report 0% and others that die with percentages as high as 70 or 80.

It can also do a lot of other things like monitor activity and keep a database of battery values so you can see how individual devices perform. All these things are interesting but certainly not essential.

Steve

Comment

@Steve
          I agree that the built-in status functions you have are nice. Since I have 22 devices (and growing) I'd like to have the info on ONLY the ones that need attention.

Example:
          Once a Day the reporting events (events I build) would send me a list of 'only' the devices that have issues I care about. Thus separate emails for

5 devices with low batteries
          2 devices that haven't reported in in the past 24 hours
          etc

@rmasonjr
          Thanks I didnt know one existed. You talking about this script? ... https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...75&postcount=6

Comment

@rmasonjr
            Thanks I didnt know one existed. You talking about this script? ... https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...75&postcount=6
            Yep - thats the one.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

@Steve
              I agree that the built-in status functions you have are nice. Since I have 22 devices (and growing) I'd like to have the info on ONLY the ones that need attention.

Example:
              Once a Day the reporting events (events I build) would send me a list of 'only' the devices that have issues I care about. Thus separate emails for

5 devices with low batteries
              2 devices that haven't reported in in the past 24 hours
              etc
              [/url]
              You can configure global parameters but also override them as necessary for individual monitored devices. This includes what type of alerts as well as what values trigger alerts.
              You can disable some devices or turn off alerts if you arent interested in them.
              In an event you can switch the reporting between three levels before sending an email to format the message you receive.

Status will just report something like:

Monitoring 22 devices
              2 Missed, 5 Low, 15 OK
              Last Alert: Wakeup Missed
              Living Room Multisensor Battery

Short will add detailed information but only for the devices that have issues. Typically Last Wakeup Date and Time, Last Sleep Period, Battery Level, Battery Discharge Rate, Battery Life and Status.

Full will include the detailed information for all devices whether they have issues or not.

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X