Polling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polling

I'm going to ask this in a new thread, as it still confuses me.

For most of by GE lights, i see the polling set at around 20 minutes in HS3. In vera it was usually auto-set to 60 seconds. Why the difference? And i get that it's more load on the system to poll more often.

Now, i just manually switched on a GE/jasco switch, and within 10 seconds, it showed the correct change in status in HS3. but it's polling is set to 20 minutes. And it does not support instant status.

While i'm loving HS3, i never had this type of delay on a status of a light. seems very weird.

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
    I'm going to ask this in a new thread, as it still confuses me.

For most of by GE lights, i see the polling set at around 20 minutes in HS3. In vera it was usually auto-set to 60 seconds. Why the difference? And i get that it's more load on the system to poll more often.

Now, i just manually switched on a GE/jasco switch, and within 10 seconds, it showed the correct change in status in HS3. but it's polling is set to 20 minutes. And it does not support instant status.

While i'm loving HS3, i never had this type of delay on a status of a light. seems very weird.

Sorry, I am confused is your stated problem is that it takes 10 sec to show current status?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When a GE/Jasco switch is pressed, it sends a Node Information Frame (which is normally used for inclusion/exclusion.) When HomeSeer isn't in inclusion/exclusion mode, it will notice that NIF. HomeSeer (and vera) knows that GE/Jasco switches send NIF's any time they are pushed, so if a NIF is seen from a device already included (and the controller isn't in exclusion mode) the controller will poll the device to see if the status changed.

Keep in mind, however, that NIF's aren't routable in the z-wave mesh, so unless the homeseer z-wave device directly "hears" the NIF, it won't know to poll. As well, if a GE/Jasco auxiliary switch is pressed (as used in 3-way switches), it does NOT send a NIF.

This gives the illusion of "instant status"

Comment

Thanks..... that's good to know.

for the other question... no.. i'm bummed that sometimes it seems to take the full 20 minutes to reflect status.

I have some of the Leviton DZ brand dimmers that apparently don't support instant status, and they seem to take forever to change state on the dashboard. if they don't do the same as the GE's... maybe (since i only have two) i change them to a quicker polling?

Comment

Polling

Thanks..... that's good to know.

for the other question... no.. i'm bummed that sometimes it seems to take the full 20 minutes to reflect status.

I have some of the Leviton DZ brand dimmers that apparently don't support instant status, and they seem to take forever to change state on the dashboard. if they don't do the same as the GE's... maybe (since i only have two) i change them to a quicker polling?

For me, it seems all of my devices connect to the USB zwave transceiver on my HS3 server first, so my switches don't have multiple hops to get to the zwave root transceiver. This allows the initial transmit from any switch to be detected by the root zwave transceiver. I have a ranch house with 1540 sq feet footprint. I have my HS3 server and USB zwave transceiver in the basement, in the middle of the house as I hoped this would give me the most optimum zwave network coverage of the home.
          I will say I have noticed that addon switches don't seem to prompt automatic updates when their primary is a GE switch. I have not tested with the Homeseer switches yet.

I noticed this in my house when I first started, I chatted with a friend about it and learned that I could use motion sensors and events to make having to use the switches unnecessary. In this situation, the HS event turns the lights on and the auto-off timer works as programmed.

Have you tried seeing if your switches can be hard set to connect to your root zwave transceiver first? That way the root transceiver would always be aware of the switch press, and would then poll status.

You could also set your polling interval to shorter than 20 minutes, though you will likely cause an increased amount of zwave network traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post

Have you tried seeing if your switches can be hard set to connect to your root zwave transceiver first? That way the root transceiver would always be aware of the switch press, and would then poll status.
            How would i do this? assume more than an exclude/include?

Comment

Polling

Determine which zwave node you want to set (home- select the switch in question- go to the zwave tab). Then go to plugins - zwave - node information. Select the node that is tied to the switch in question, confirm that the root zwave controller (node 1) is listed as a neighbor. If so, set the "set route" field to 1.

Comment

Polling

You should also think about scanning your existing zwave network and then do a full optimization on the zwave network. This could automatically set your zwave controller as the first route device.

Comment

Working...
                X