Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming Soon! MeiHarmonyHub! (Harmony Hub Monitor and Control)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
    I do have some questions for people:

When a hub connects it keeps trying until it connects. I currently put a 5 second hold between each attempt because I don't want to be sending a bunch of attempts through the network anything.

Would people prefer different wait for the initial connect vs an unexpected disconnect?

For instance, would it be better during a forceful disconnect to wait longer between connect attempts? Note that for the most part an attempt to connect is well under 1 second.

I do currently have a limit on the number of attempts it makes to reconnect (like 200 or so), but I may remove that limit as each reconnect is in it's own thread so doesn't affect the main plugins thread at all.

Would a better option be to just add settings to accomplish this? One for space between connection attempts at start up (or when one clicks the Connect button) and one for Reconnect attempts after an unexpected disconnect?

Or am I just really overthinking this?
    I suggest making both user definable. There could be several reasons people may need to tweak them. With the ability to turn off retry completely, in case of system maintenance or such.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have all 3 hubs configured.

I am also seeing 17.1mb RAM and 0% CPU.

I have not had a hub disconnect at all. All three have remained connected except through a HomeSeer restart.

I have reconfigured all of my events to use this plug-in. These include
      • Controlling power to entertainment devices when Harmony activities are initiated. This reduces vampire loads when TV, receiver, etc. are in standby.
      • Echo voice commands to start activities. I am still using virtual devices, not direct control of Harmony activities. We generally only do 2 things with voice, turn a TV on when entering a room or turning it off. The rest of Control is by Harmony remote.
      • Adjusting lighting and HS announcement levels based on activity
      • Wake network storage devices when activity dictates

As far as configuration, I would always vote for more flexibility. At a minimum, things such as hub reconnect attempts and disconnect timeouts should be in a configuration file. Additionally it is always preferable to be able to set these configuration values through a web page rather than editing an .ini file.

I have not found any issue with the plug-in other than the one minor issue where the same device command cannot be issued a second time from the Device Manager Page without refreshing the page.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
        I suggest making both user definable. There could be several reasons people may need to tweak them. With the ability to turn off retry completely, in case of system maintenance or such.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        Good idea, I will plan on that.

For system maintenance, you can just go to the device management page and click "disconnect" and it wont' try and reconnect. If you are planning on restarting homeseer or the plugin, you can uncheck "enable" in the config and it won't reconnect even on a start up (currently unchecking "Enable" will not disconnect the hub though, but I should make it do that)

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          I have not found any issue with the plug-in other than the one minor issue where the same device command cannot be issued a second time from the Device Manager Page without refreshing the page.
          Yes, as we've discussed I'm having a hard time getting around that issue. So as question to those that will use the plugin:

Instead of a dropdown, would you rather it just be a popup of commands? I would have no way of formatting the popup except to set up a grid. My only concern with this approach is my Denon has A LOT of commands (> 200) and I'm not sure that would work. And actually now that I think about it, I have 2 ideas:

1). Allow the user to select either drop downs or grids. This could be potentially be made so that it could be set per device as opposed to a global setting.

2) Allow users to select which commands they actually want to show on the devices. During the initial creation it could add either all or none (i would rather default to all) and then in the settings a user could chose to add/remove commands that are available.

#2 coupled with #1 would mean that you could set a device that normally has a lot of commands to a popup with only a limited set of commands.

Of course this could be solved if there was a way to reset a dropdown.

I do have one other idea that I would have to test first.

#3 I could make all the status be both (control/status), then when a user sets on, I could set that as the value, then set it back to zero. I don't know if this will work, but I could test this tonight to see if this works. It would have the added benefit of knowing when a command was sent in say an event (you could check for that status being set for that command)

#3 if it works, would actually I think be the easiest to implement and the best way.

Comment

I forgot to add the image of a popup (Taken from my popup for my Roku plugin: MeiKu)
            Attached Files

Comment

The dropdown thing is not a huge deal as I don't see using the Device Manager to control Harmony devices often.

That said, i would always prefer more flexibility so the choice between a popup and a dropdown would be good. Further, being able to add or eliminate device control items from either method would be of value. I would also prefer to add all of them at first, then be able to remove the items that will not be used.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                The dropdown thing is not a huge deal as I don't see using the Device Manager to control Harmony devices often.

That said, i would always prefer more flexibility so the choice between a popup and a dropdown would be good. Further, being able to add or eliminate device control items from either method would be of value. I would also prefer to add all of them at first, then be able to remove the items that will not be used.
                I personally prefer the drop down list. But giving the choice to the user is good too. It is not a big thing for me too....

The plugin is almost perfect for me at this stage.

Just need to be able to add new device commands and new activities fro the app to HS3 without the need to delete the device in HS3 and i will be 100% happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Summerguy View Post
                  I personally prefer the drop down list. But giving the choice to the user is good too. It is not a big thing for me too....

The plugin is almost perfect for me at this stage.

Just need to be able to add new device commands and new activities fro the app to HS3 without the need to delete the device in HS3 and i will be 100% happy.
                  I wasn't planning on updating the "device command" devices for added commands because they shouldn't change that often or at all in my experience. However, I will see about adding it anyways. The only way I'll have to test it though is to jsut delete one of the status's from the ui and run it, but that should be good enough.

As for updating the activities device, that should be in shortly (next couple of days or so).

Comment

Beta Update

So, tonight I got a fair amount done. I:

Fixed the drop down not resetting (my fix of setting them all to a control and status works. I set it to the command, then immediately set it back to "select command")

I added device command queues. These run in their own threads and there is 1 per hub. I considered adding a queue per device, but that mean if you send in a string of commands they could fire off out of order. This also means the plugin is only sending 1 command to a hub at a time. The benefit to the queue is that if you send in a long string of commands or you have repeats with delays, it won't lock up the plugin for other actions.

I have the plugin repopulating the activities statuses on startup (or connect). I also have the same working for commands on the Device devices. This does actually require you to either restart the plugin or just disconnect/reconnect from the device management screen for now.

I added per device settings (see attached image). The are Repeat, Repeat Delay, and Intercommand Delay.
                    • Repeat will repeat every command for that device
                    • Repeat Delay is the delay between each repeat (in ms)
                    • Intercommand Delay (in ms) is the minimum amount of time between commands for the device. This way if you don't want to send more than 1 command every second, the plugin will make sure that it won't send a subsequent command until 1 second since the last command to that device was sent. Note that this is per device, not per hub. So if you send a command to a device then send other commands to other devices, it will check to see if the delay has passed since the last command to that device, not the last command sent to any device (I hope this makes sense).

I will probably also implement an intercommand delay on the hub level as well so that commands aren't sent too fast to the hub.

On my list of partially completed to-do items I have:
                    • Started per command Repeat and Repeat Delays. These, if set for a command will always override the settings on the device. I already have systems in place to store, retrieve and use this data. I only have to add it to the config screen
                    • I'm going to split the config screen into 3 screens. The tab interface is nice, but from a code perspective it is getting out of control. I don't think this will affect usability and i will try and add links to the pages on each page.
                    • I plan on adding buttons on the Hubs config for checking that all the statuses are on the activities and devices. I also plan on adding polling for this with a setting for how often to check (for instance, daily).
                    • I do plan on adding some of the other settings discussed (reconnect attempts, delay between attempts, etc), but they may come at a later date.
                    • I'm sure there is stuff I am missing (like triggers, etc). I have plans to do a lot to this plugin as time goes on. I think at this point I may be about 90% to the point I can release it out of Beta.

I am hoping to release a new version this weekend sometime. I would have released it tonight, but it is getting late and packaging it up longer than I want to be up tonight Note there is NOT a new version up yet. I just wanted to update on my progress!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looking good. I'll be waiting a bit before trying (just completed a 3 machine consolidation and letting the 'dust settle' for a spell)
                      RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Added 3 hubs without issue, tested basic functionality - works like a champ. Excited about this project moving forward. Lots of potential.

We will be able to trigger events from device changes as well?

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                          Added 3 hubs without issue, tested basic functionality - works like a champ. Excited about this project moving forward. Lots of potential.

We will be able to trigger events from device changes as well?
                          Can you provide an example of what u mean by device changes?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry, I could have been more clear. I was actually talking about the plugin reacting to a button push on the Harmony to trigger other events, which was a question discussed earlier in this thread.

You do mention the plugin tracking an activity being triggered, which might be all I need.

Also, I'm using the HA bridge software which emulates the Hue bridge, but ties the devices to Homeseer native devices. Seems like that might be an option as well. I already have Harmony buttons mapped to those "pseudo" hue devices and it works well.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                              Sorry, I could have been more clear. I was actually talking about the plugin reacting to a button push on the Harmony to trigger other events, which was a question discussed earlier in this thread.

You do mention the plugin tracking an activity being triggered, which might be all I need.

Also, I'm using the HA bridge software which emulates the Hue bridge, but ties the devices to Homeseer native devices. Seems like that might be an option as well. I already have Harmony buttons mapped to those "pseudo" hue devices and it works well.
                              Gotcha. Yeah, the devices I've been able to get notifications on are the home automation devices the hub can control (Philips hue, nest, etc). Unfortunately the hub doesn't broadcast button presses by home theater type devices (tv, receiver, etc).

Even then, I have put the home automation devices on hold for now to get basic harmony hub functionality working.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Beta Update

All,

Sorry I haven't gotten the next version out yet. I decided to try and get as much as I could in and release one more version before making it final and releasing it to the HS store and updater.

I am going to try and push out a release tonight, even if it's not the final beta. I'm just finishing up the polling for making sure the "Device" and "Activity" devices update when a new activity is added.

Comment

Working...
                                X